Rumor: Jets pursuing Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It depends, we lose Enstrom, Stuart, Pavs and Stafford over the next two years. That's roughly 17 million in cap space that will be cleared up.

Enstrom and Stuart will need to be replaced, likely via UFA. Morrissey can't play all 3 pairings despite some thinking he's the savior of our LHD. The Jets need to save cap room for upgrades there.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Enstrom and Stuart will need to be replaced, likely via UFA. Morrissey can't play all 3 pairings despite some thinking he's the savior of our LHD. The Jets need to save cap room for upgrades there.

Logan Stanley might be ready by then.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
It depends, we lose Enstrom, Stuart, Pavs and Stafford over the next two years. That's roughly 17 million in cap space that will be cleared up.

On top of Scheifele and Trouba in the next 1-3 years our ELC discount is going to end on Hellebuyck, Ehlers, Connor, Laine etc. 17M won't cover that plus Okposo.

To me adding Okposo will mean letting Perreault or Little go in the next 1-2 years. I'm not a fan of that idea.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sure they do. Ideally Morrissey replaces Enstrom but can likely be inked to an extension at less value. Stuart should be able to be replaced at league minimum salary as a bottom pairing guy. So we can still save through their replacements.

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
Big UFA signing now could mean losing one of the high potential young wingers in few years due cap space. If everything goes well, none of the Ehlers, Laine, Connor or Helle will be cheap, when they are out from their ELCs. Big, longer term UFA signing now with possible NTC could be risky - especially if Las Vegas is not the last expansion and expansion draft.

I guess the question is, if Jets is ready to be a contender before needing to sign Connor and Laine. If yes, Okposo may well be worth it, if not, I would not be that excited about signing him.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
exactly. You have to. You want to add a UFA or 2. You need to contact a bunch to see if they have any interest at all. This could be all this was. I would Imagine they contact Okposo, Ladd, Lucic and maybe even Stamkos. We will see. Someone will pay these guys and give NMC.
I think the jets make sure this stuff gets out so players don't think they are not willing to spend the money to compete.But in reality there is not a ton of interest for Okposo anywhere close to what he's asking.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Possibly, someone would have to do some different models with different contracts (to say guys like Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Helle, Morrissey, Petan, etc) over the next 6+ years to see how much room we might have.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Are we a Kyle Okposo away from contention? Paying him $6M+ for 6 or 7 years would be an incredible waste of money considering the team's needs.

But let's be honest - we're not ponying up that kind of money and Okposo's not signing here if that kind of money is available elsewhere.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Are we a Kyle Okposo away from contention? Paying him $6M+ for 6 or 7 years would be an incredible waste of money considering the team's needs.

But let's be honest - we're not ponying up that kind of money and Okposo's not signing here if that kind of money is available elsewhere.

That is roughly the contract we were willing to give Andrew Ladd. So the organization was willing to pay that money out. Apparently still after Buff signed. Once Ladd declined perhaps the Jets plan was to take that money and offer it elsewhere in free agency if they saw a good fit. Okposo seems like a logical place to put that offer. Although I think he will get overpaid elsewhere as much of these first wave of free agency forwards will now that Stamkos is off the market. If that is the case I hope we stay put at forward rather than adding a bottom six player in the second wave of free agency. I do think we overpay for a guy like Wiercioch though right out of the gate.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like Okposo better than Ladd or Perreault, all things considered.

Love Perreault but I would have to agree with this. Will be interesting to see what Perreault's next contract will look like.

My guess is we will get Matty P for better cash and term than Okposo. If we were spending the same amount for the same term I agree.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That is roughly the contract we were willing to give Andrew Ladd. So the organization was willing to pay that money out. Apparently still after Buff signed. Once Ladd declined perhaps the Jets plan was to take that money and offer it elsewhere in free agency if they saw a good fit. Okposo seems like a logical place to put that offer. Although I think he will get overpaid elsewhere as much of these first wave of free agency forwards will now that Stamkos is off the market. If that is the case I hope we stay put at forward rather than adding a bottom six player in the second wave of free agency. I do think we overpay for a guy like Wiercioch though right out of the gate.

Yeah, but then we drafted Laine. Seems like we're adding 2 new Top 6 F with him and Connor. Maybe that's putting too many eggs in the youth basket, but management was okay with that last year.

I really don't think Wiercioch is a Jets type of player. I'd be surprised if they had any interest in him. He's a fancy stats darling, but I don't think that's a big factor in the Jets player assessments. What's an overpay for him? Anything over $1.5M?

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Don't get this Okposo idea......does not address D depth or the need for a C (if Petan does not pan out)

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, but then we drafted Laine. Seems like we're adding 2 new Top 6 F with him and Connor. Maybe that's putting too many eggs in the youth basket, but management was okay with that last year.

I really don't think Wiercioch is a Jets type of player. I'd be surprised if they had any interest in him. He's a fancy stats darling, but I don't think that's a big factor in the Jets player assessments. What's an overpay for him? Anything over $1.5M?

The Okposo Jets interest info came out after the draft I believe. So they appear to be open to adding another forward if the fit is right.

Wiercioch made $2.7 last year and $2.2 the year prior. Is only 25 so maybe he has more to offer still. And won't break the bank. I would expect something over $2 million though. Around what he has made the past couple years. Stuart money essentially.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Don't get this Okposo idea......does not address D depth or the need for a C (if Petan does not pan out)

For C...Perreault can play C. Burmistrov. Copp. Lowry. Petan. Some options there. Burmistrov played well at C later in the season when paired up with the right guys. He actually seems better there than on the wing. Copp's game ascended too when paired with better players. I am guessing you would prefer an upgrade there? Just wondering what that would look like for you.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I would prefer help on D, though one wonders whether some teams might be looking to load up with a killer forward group after seeing the success of some teams who have managed without a huge amount of depth on D (Pens, Hawks, Stars).

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
The Okposo Jets interest info came out after the draft I believe. So they appear to be open to adding another forward if the fit is right.

Wiercioch made $2.7 last year and $2.2 the year prior. Is only 25 so maybe he has more to offer still. And won't break the bank. I would expect something over $2 million though. Around what he has made the past couple years. Stuart money essentially.
Is Wiercioch any good? Why is Ottawa getting rid of him?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Okposo had a meeting with several teams in Buffalo including the Jets

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Is Wiercioch any good? Why is Ottawa getting rid of him?

Former second round pick. Was projected to be in the top 4 D just one year ago. Corsi wise when 5-on-5 the Sens had a greater percentage of shots, goals and scoring changes. He is tied for 11th in the NHL in points per 60 minutes on the power play. But the Sens went with four forwards on the PP this past year which kept him on the bench in those situations. Had a down year production wise with only 5 assists and had his season cut short due to injury. At 25 years old, with some analytics on his side, I think his next home could pull more out of him. The blue line as a whole underwhelmed in Ottawa last year. And it sounds like he was saddled up with poor D partners.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It would be nice to add him, but I'd have to think that signing him to a deal that it would take (5+ years and at least 6.5+) would affect future signings on this team.

If we can't afford Ladd for more than 3 years why would we be able to afford Okposo for 6? It isn't just a fear that Ladd will regress. It is that a lot of other contracts start coming up in the 4th year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Logan Stanley might be ready by then.

Without trying to turn this into another 10k Stanley posts he is at best a longer term development project. Him contributing in the NHL in 4 years is optimistic. Green is likely ready before Stanley is.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He's just been tossed on the scrap heap. He wants a chance to prove himself. Sign him 1x1.1 and send him to a good skating coach for the summer.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It sure sounds like Ladd might sign with the Islanders. How ironic if Okposo signs with the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad