TSN: Jets on TSN

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Are you talking about the music industry that has been devestated since P2P sharing?
The music industry pre torrents and itunes was far superior. Remember when people listened to entire albums?

Far superior for who? For the record companies for sure - but not for the artist nor the fan. I spent more than 40 years feeding the greedy record companies while they in turn screwed me and the artist - cost me thousands, cost some artists millions. For the last couple years I've got all the FULL albums I want for $10 a month - and the artists have figured out how to make money from touring. The model works splendidly for me.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Broken for who? Live sports and reality shows are the only programs that make money for broadcasters. It's not broken for them.

No, not totally broken for them nor the cable companies - it's ME I care about.

Derfel*

Are you talking about the music industry that has been devestated since P2P sharing?
The music industry pre torrents and itunes was far superior. Remember when people listened to entire albums?

The concept of an "album" was relatively short-lived anyways. Singles are where it's always been at.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Far superior for who? For the record companies for sure - but not for the artist nor the fan. I spent more than 40 years feeding the greedy record companies while they in turn screwed me and the artist - cost me thousands, cost some artists millions. For the last couple years I've got all the FULL albums I want for $10 a month - and the artists have figured out how to make money from touring. The model works splendidly for me.

The way the industry works now artists make a living as long as they are willing to tour non-stop. When they take breaks to actually create product they are not generating any revenue so they slap it together as quickly as possible, making sure there are one or two singles that may get them airplay, and get back on the road. That why we see endless remixes of songs. They can just have a producer "create" something that keeps them relevant without the artist actually doing anything.
if they want to slow down and have a family they better be mega successful because otherwise they won't see their kids grow up.
The awesome product created by artists like Lou Reed and Tom Waits later in their careers when they had a steady income froom back catalogue sales will no longer exist. Instead the artist of today will be on some shifty tour bus on the way to their next show to pay their bills.

Artists past their prime can no longer depend on making money from their back catalogue because 99% of people are stealing it. The only way they can make money from their back catalogue is to sell it advertisers to toss into commercials.
So now a practise that was considered to be a money grabbing sellout two decades ago is now the only way artists can support their families.

This has regressed the art of rock music back decades.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
For you, maybe - but for the industry, singles have always been the norm.

Back on topic - I found the quality of the Dallas game better.

When has singles ever been the norm in rock music?
Late 50's tof the mid 60's was singles.
From the mid to late 60's well into the new millennium the album ruled rock music.
Rock music matured because of the album concept.

Perfect example, Alex Chilton (aka god).
Single Era - Box Tops - Solid but in small bubblegum dosss.
Album Era - Big Star - Unforgettable art.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We're getting quite off topic RE: TSN. I'm happy to move the music talk to our OT thread, if everyone wants to continue the conversation. Yes? No?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm glad I'm not the only who has noticed a subpar HD feed this year. The (HD) commercials look way better so I assume it's a TSN production value thing rather then a cable provider/compression issue.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
TSN TV commercials

Can't TSN get any more advertisers than the 2 used car dealers and mts?

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Originally, they said I would have it for the rest of 2014, but then I got an email that they were giving it to me for the entire season.

Totally sucks that a bunch of Jets games are blacked out though.

I'm in the same boat. I assumed it would end and that e-mail was wrong.
I guess I will find out next month.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm in the same boat. I assumed it would end and that e-mail was wrong.
I guess I will find out next month.

I think all Rogers customers get GCL until January 1, but if you have a Share Everything smartphone plan you get the whole season?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Can't TSN get any more advertisers than the 2 used car dealers and mts?

Thats what puzzles me about the Rogers deal. Canada doesnt have the corporate entities to support a 5.2B investment. Big Chad and the brothers of bargains are really gonna have to pay up!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Thats what puzzles me about the Rogers deal. Canada doesnt have the corporate entities to support a 5.2B investment. Big Chad and the brothers of bargains are really gonna have to pay up!

The TSN3 Jets games are regional...the areas covered amount to less than 2.4 million possible viewers.

The Sportsnet deal is for national broadcast rights covering Canada's entire population: 35 million...nearly 15 times larger potential audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad