Speculation: Jets - Offer Sheet

Will the Jets ever use a offer sheet?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Simple poll question, do you think Chevy & Chipman would ever use a OS?

Few points to consider:

- Chevy & Chipman seem to be poster children for good behaviour and mutual respect for other teams & owners.

- Jets "prime window" to win is the next four years (just look at the team's contracts & core ages).

- Jets are at a critical stage right now if they truely want to win the cup, now is a time to strike using a OS if winning the cup is their biggest motivation.

- Jets are a small market team with limited revenue. Treat others as you would like them to treat you.......seems likely appropriate when discussing the Jets ownership/management.

- Jets have one of the richest ownership groups in the world of pro sports, their willingness to use that strength might be questioned.

- Chevy's MO as a GM has been likely the most patient GM in the entire league, draft & develop rinse & repeat.

- Winnipeg isn't a hot bed (b/c small market, Canadian hockey fishbowl, taxes, weather) for players to want to sign as FA, would a player even sign a Jets OS.

- Above isn't a comprehensive list of things that might factor into it, just some thoughts off the top of my head both pro's & con's.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I highly doubt it, for 4 reasons.

1. Usually have to "overpay" to be successful, resulting in bad contracts.

2. Jets probably wouldn't want to give up the picks for most of the RFAs targets.

3. Most RFAs don't want to end up in WPG.

4. Jets like to keep good relationships with other teams.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Will Chevy OS someone... No
Should Chevy OS someone... Yes

Do they have their picks to even offer one?
Yes , but amount depends on the playoffs. If the jets get into the playoffs, our 4th going to VGK in ‘21 becomes a 3rd, so our options would be...
$0 - $1,395,053... for zero compensation
$2,113,717 - $4,227,437... for a 2nd
$10,568,590 and up... for 4 x 1sts
Leaving that 4.2m - 10.5m range, which is the most common OS target range, unavailable.
If we don’t make the playoffs, then all options are available

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Quick OS reference for those who need it.

- Compensation to the receiving club is made up entirely of draft picks.
- All of the draft picks required as compensation must be the club's own draft picks (draft picks acquired from a different team in a trade cannot be used)
- The draft picks must be available in the nearest entry draft, unless the compensation requires two or more draft picks in the same round: an extra year can be used to for compensation for these picks (if two 1st round picks are required, the club must have two 1st round picks available in the next three drafts)
- Compensation is determined by the annual average (AAV) outlined in the offer made by submitting club.
- The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
- - number of years offered, or
- - five (5) years
- The AAV thresholds are readjusted each season, and is based on the average league salary for that season.
- An offer sheet cannot be greater than 7 years in length.
- An offer sheet consists of 7 compensation tiers.
- - $0 - $1,395,053 ... no compensation
- - $1,395,054 - $2,113,716 ... 1 3rd round pick
- - $2,113,717 - $4,227,437 ... 1 2nd round pick
- - $4,227,438 - $6,341,152 ... 1 1st + 1 3rd
- - $6,341,153 - $8,454,871 ... 1 1st + 1 2nd + 1 3rd
- - $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 ... 2 1sts + 1 2nd + 1 3rd
- - $10,568,590 - limit ... 4 1st round picks

for more in-depth OS info...
https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-faq

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Pointless thread. Do you have a specific player and situation you are talking about? Maybe start a thread like that. In general we can see the answer is obviously no. It's not just the Jets, it's everyone. Now we have general thread so we can double up on threads every time a half assed RFA comes available. There has to be a specific case of any team to even attempt an offer.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I highly doubt it, for 4 reasons.

1. Usually have to "overpay" to be successful, resulting in bad contracts.

2. Jets probably wouldn't want to give up the picks for most of the RFAs targets.

3. Most RFAs don't want to end up in WPG.

4. Jets like to keep good relationships with other teams.

Which contracts do you figure that they have had to “overpay”?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Few points to consider:

- Chevy & Chipman seem to be poster children for good behaviour and mutual respect for other teams & owners.

- Jets "prime window" to win is the next four years (just look at the team's contracts & core ages).

- Jets are at a critical stage right now if they truely want to win the cup, now is a time to strike using a OS if winning the cup is their biggest motivation.

- Jets are a small market team with limited revenue. Treat others as you would like them to treat you.......seems likely appropriate when discussing the Jets ownership/management.

- Jets have one of the richest ownership groups in the world of pro sports, their willingness to use that strength might be questioned.

- Chevy's MO as a GM has been likely the most patient GM in the entire league, draft & develop rinse & repeat.

- Winnipeg isn't a hot bed (b/c small market, Canadian hockey fishbowl, taxes, weather) for players to want to sign as FA, would a player even sign a Jets OS.

- Above isn't a comprehensive list of things that might factor into it, just some thoughts off the top of my head both pro's & con's.

I think for a specific player in a specific situation they will.

The biggest target for me this summer would be Cernak on Tampa. Good rfa dmen but would likly be down the priority list for Tampa. Sign him to a two year 4.2 million AAV offer sheet and Tampa likely cant match. In the end it costs us a second.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think for a specific player in a specific situation they will.

The biggest target for me this summer would be Cernak on Tampa. Good rfa dmen but would likly be down the priority list for Tampa. Sign him to a two year 4.2 million AAV offer sheet and Tampa likely cant match. In the end it costs us a second.
I’d target Cirelli with a 6M x 7yr OS.
Would cost us a 1st + 2nd + 3rd, but for a 22yr old C who just put up 44 pts in 68 games in his 2nd full time NHL season, I think it would be worth it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Well if you technically mean "ever", like say in the next 100 years, then probably. I'll go with "no" though because I doubt it'll happen any time soon or with Chevy.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Question are most stars and core pieces drafted? I am having a hard time thinking of many who came ala free agency

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I’d target Cirelli with a 6M x 7yr OS.
Would cost us a 1st + 2nd + 3rd, but for a 22yr old C who just put up 44 pts in 68 games in his 2nd full time NHL season, I think it would be worth it.
We don't have our 3rd.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Few points to consider:

While not much from past experience and showing from Chipman & Chevy would point to an "offer sheet" proposal being likely, I believe this point of an approximate 4 year window potential for Jets org to win it all could tip their hands/ hats into this action, in the right type player from a safe type team ( not in their division or conference).
To this end, I am on the fence with potential of Jets going after RFA center Anthony Cirelli in TBL.
I think he fits the bill for a type of player they should go after. What is the ball-range cost though?
If he could be attained for under $5 mil per season in a mid to longer term deal. And he actually showed chemistry in a 2-C role with wingers and showed progression from his previous couple seasons, he could be a worthy recipient of said "o.s." I think Jets would likely need to move out Perreault's contract and have definitive knowing B Little's career over and he retires,,or he becomes expendable?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Certain offer sheets can make sense. Most of the time however, it is a desperation move to try and steal an opponent's star. No GM will get bullied out of a talented young player unless the offer is a gross overpay and the compensation is worth it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
While not much from past experience and showing from Chipman & Chevy would point to an "offer sheet" proposal being likely, I believe this point of an approximate 4 year window potential for Jets org to win it all could tip their hands/ hats into this action, in the right type player from a safe type team ( not in their division or conference).
To this end, I am on the fence with potential of Jets going after RFA center Anthony Cirelli in TBL.
I think he fits the bill for a type of player they should go after. What is the ball-range cost though?
If he could be attained for under $5 mil per season in a mid to longer term deal. And he actually showed chemistry in a 2-C role with wingers and showed progression from his previous couple seasons, he could be a worthy recipient of said "o.s." I think Jets would likely need to move out Perreault's contract and have definitive knowing B Little's career over and he retires,,or he becomes expendable?

This may be the type of offer that could actually work and make sense for the Jets needs.

Still probably better off trying to offer a legitimate trade and doing things that way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Certain offer sheets can make sense. Most of the time however, it is a desperation move to try and steal an opponent's star. No GM will get bullied out of a talented young player unless the offer is a gross overpay and the compensation is worth it.

I think people approach offersheets wrong. It wont work on the star player but I think targeting 2nd tier players would have the desired effect. The only offersheet that has worked the last decade or so was the one for Penner. A good secondary piece but no star. If you can find a team that is cap strapped with some elite and secondary talent to sign, you may have some luck grabbing the secondary talent.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think people approach offersheets wrong. It wont work on the star player but I think targeting 2nd tier players would have the desired effect. The only offersheet that has worked the last decade or so was the one for Penner. A good secondary piece but no star. If you can find a team that is cap strapped with some elite and secondary talent to sign, you may have some luck grabbing the secondary talent.

Yeah good call. That's the only time the draft compensation is low enough. The team is much more likely to let a supporting piece go than a core building block.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad