Jets now playing at the "TSN Centre"? Bell Canada to buy MTS

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
From CJOB
MTS Centre will keep its name

I'm sure they know there would be tremendous ill-will if the first thing they did was start taking out the MTS name.

But you know over time they're going to emphasize Bell, and de-emphasize MTS, until eventually it's all just Bell.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I'm sure they know there would be tremendous ill-will if the first thing they did was start taking out the MTS name.

But you know over time they're going to emphasize Bell, and de-emphasize MTS, until eventually it's all just Bell.

Yup the clock is ticking....makes no business sense not to bring the name under one umbrella

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
5 GB talk & text plans:
Halifax 122.21
Montreal 94.76
Toronto 117.93
Winnipeg 65.76
Regina 65.52

Vancouver 117.65
National average 107.50

SaskTel and MTS as competitors make a difference.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone honestly care what the name of the arena is going to be? All of the arenas have bad names.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
MTS Centre aside, this is potentially bad news for Manitoba. Guaranteed increase in cell phone plan process, and potentially lost jobs. MTS employs thousands in this province. Winnipeg would be losing one major corporation with its head office here. Technical jobs will probably not change, but many corporate/office jobs will be lost over time.

I hope CRTC or the commission bureau nixes the deal.

A merger between Sasktel and MTS (with eventual further expansion) is much more in Manitoba's interests.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
...and potentially lost jobs. MTS employs thousands in this province. Winnipeg would be losing one major corporation with its head office here. Technical jobs will probably not change, but many corporate/office jobs will be lost over time.

As per the article:

"As part of the ageement, BCE said it will make Winnipeg the headquarters of its operations in Western Canada, which will grow to 6,900 employees after adding 2,700 from MTS."

Not sure if that's all the MTS employees but at least it's something.

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
As per the article:

"As part of the ageement, BCE said it will make Winnipeg the headquarters of its operations in Western Canada, which will grow to 6,900 employees after adding 2,700 from MTS."

Not sure if that's all the MTS employees but at least it's something.

God I hope they didn't lay off someone I know or they might end up moving to another province. **** Bell.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
MTS Centre aside, this is potentially bad news for Manitoba. Guaranteed increase in cell phone plan process, and potentially lost jobs. MTS employs thousands in this province. Winnipeg would be losing one major corporation with its head office here. Technical jobs will probably not change, but many corporate/office jobs will be lost over time.

I hope CRTC or the commission bureau nixes the deal.

A merger between Sasktel and MTS (with eventual further expansion) is much more in Manitoba's interests.

Sasktel is a SK government crown Corp so it's not merging with MTS.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
!

So my cell phone plan will now go from $65 a month to $120 a month...woohoo!!
Ya bit think off all that infrastructure you'll be getting ! For a mere 300% increase you will be able to raise your speeds 25% !

I will drop our phones before I pay 120 each a month, I lived without one for decades and can again.

Anyone else notice how this is announced now and not a month ago ! Nothing to do with the election I am sure.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems like it's pretty standard practice to grandfather cell phone rates - if you're paying $65 for 5GB now or whatever, that'll probably just continue as long as you're paying the bill.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
If I can keep my grandfathered rate that will be fine with me. Anything else tho...

Yeah that's usually the case. However if you want a hardware upgrade in the future they will probably make you change plans. I would suggest doing a hardware upgrade soon and then if the merger takes place, buy unlocked phones in the future.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013

Likely true, will probably take a while. When Best Buy bought Future Shop, it took nearly 14 years for them to fully phase it out. I think it'll take Bell about 5 years before they start phasing out the MTS name.

I don't care about the arena name (or business name), rather about competitiveness in our market.. but that's for a different forum.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the deal was going to be stopped this is how it would happen.

That being said I don't really see it. MTS and Bell aren't really competitors - Bell has their regions, and MTS has Manitoba. The only area they are competitors is wireless, but that's why they're selling a bunch of assets to Telus.

I don't know how the competition bureau will view that. Telus is another of the big 3 so it is still more concentration of market dominance by the big 3. Landline telephone, TV and internet are different in detail but still a part of the same big picture of concentration. The CRTC will wade in as well. Probably gets approved but is not a slam-dunk.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
If the deal was going to be stopped this is how it would happen.

That being said I don't really see it. MTS and Bell aren't really competitors - Bell has their regions, and MTS has Manitoba. The only area they are competitors is wireless, but that's why they're selling a bunch of assets to Telus.

MTS and Bell aren't really competitors per se, but MTS is what helps regulate cell contracts in Manitoba. Telus has virtually no foot print in Manitoba, either. They're not only selling cell towers, but contracts to Telus as well. This tells me that they're trying to circumvent the anti-competition part of the acquisition, but Telus will only have 1/4 of the foot print in Manitoba, with Rogers/Bell splitting up the remainder.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ya bit think off all that infrastructure you'll be getting ! For a mere 300% increase you will be able to raise your speeds 25% !

I will drop our phones before I pay 120 each a month, I lived without one for decades and can again.

Anyone else notice how this is announced now and not a month ago ! Nothing to do with the election I am sure.

Has/had nothing to do with our election

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad