Jets now playing at the "TSN Centre"? Bell Canada to buy MTS

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
Hmm I wonder what happens here, I believe they have the rights for the name until 2021 with an option to extend another five or ten after that. I wonder how this changes things.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't care about the name of the arena. I feel bad for anyone with a cellphone in Manitoba though.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I wonder what that now means for cheaper cell phone plans in MB (relative to most provinces in Canada)?

Manitoba has much cheaper pricing plans and better features mostly due to competition from MTS. (Same with Sask, as Sasktel keeps pricing competitive there). MTS pushed pricing plans down so the big 2 and eventually big 3 when bell entered the market had no choice but to match to be competitive.

For instance, the equivalent plan in ON, AB or BC on Rogers or bell is 1.5-2x more $ than in MB.

And Canada already gets ripped off when it comes to cell phone plans as it is.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Baby Bell Center? :D

GetImage.aspx

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Since the Red Wings new arena is going to be called the Little Caesers Arena, perhaps Pizza Hotline Centre would be appropriate?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I imagine that this is all contingent on the CRTC deciding whether this merger is anti-trust or not. CRTC veto'd another sale around the same lines because it removed the power of choice from consumers. I hope that it's the same here. Having only Rogers and Bell as the big telecom providers in Manitoba kind of scares me.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I imagine that this is all contingent on the CRTC deciding whether this merger is anti-trust or not. CRTC veto'd another sale around the same lines because it removed the power of choice from consumers. I hope that it's the same here. Having only Rogers and Bell as the big telecom providers in Manitoba kind of scares me.

Agreed. MTS and SaskTel have provided competition in those provinces which have kept costs down. Compare plans available in MB and SK to those in ON or BC. It ain't pretty.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I work for MTS and I think this is good long term for MTS. We just don't have the cash and buying power that someone like Bell can provide for us.

For instance if this deal goes through they are going to spend a billion dollars upgrading infrastructure here in Manitoba. That is huge. That is fibre to your home. That is something MTS couldn't do.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg

Exactly how I feel. If this is allowed it would go against everything the CRTC is trying to do.

I'm happy the arena is keeping the name. I absolutely despise Bell and having their name on something I love would be the worst.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find this way too funny because I posted in the "Best seats at MTS Centre" thread what the naming rights would be. Can't picture another name for it other than MTS Centre.

They should just call it The TSN Sports Centre if that does happen. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad