Proposal: Jets need to start utilizing load management; start rotating press box players into line-up

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If they really want this, then they can expand the roster to be more than 23 players. They don't need to change the waiver wire.
Half the teams have trouble getting under the cap with 23 man rosters. Not sure what the appetite would be for players to divide up their share of the pie even further to keep teams cap compliant.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've gone on about this before, but this weird season's the best example of the NHL needing to take its head out of its arse and to start resting players as part of load management.

Hockey, as you know, is (grossly) old school. players will come back from injuries too early, not play at 100% and then either get injured again quickly or their on-ice performance takes a hit. Coaches are also reluctant to rest players during a game or to give them the night off. it's like pulling teeth for a backup goalie to get action, never mind rotating your forwards and D in and out of the line-up.

The Jets are starting to enter a weird part of their schedule. Tonight's a travel night back to Wpg, then you see 3 games in 4 nights, 3 nights off, then 4 games in 6 nights, with 3 of the games likely being physical games vs Calgary.

IF NHL coaches were smart and actually thought outside the box, NOW would be the time to best utilize their taxi squad/press box players.

On D, we know that Demelo and Poolman are ready to come back in. We've seen a sample size of ONE game where the D hasn't looked shaky. If you are putting both Demelo and Poolman back in vs Ottawa, then this should be the start of rotation ONE of EVERY d-man out of the line-up for each game. Yes, sit Pionk, Forbort and Morrissey for a game. have each of them sitting once every 4 games. You have the manpower to do it.

On O, we just had our franchise centre, Nate Thompson, go down with an injury. Gus will likely get some ice time. Know who else should pop into the line-up? Vesalainen. Start him on the 4th line. Sit a player. Give Vesalainen 1 out of every 3 games. Pop him into the line-up, rotate a player out. Same with Suess. Do this so that Scheifele, Ehlers, Wheeler and Connor end up sitting every 4 or 5 games. 1 of them sitting for a game = no big deal. fresher legs. also gives some playing time to two prospects to see if they fit and puts them at lower risk situations, gets them acquainted to NHL hockey, keeps them fresh.

I know this is outside-the-box thinking for a lot of you, but when you'll see the inevitable rash of injuries and COVID protocol benchings, being proactive means that your club will be at an advantage.
I agree with a lot of this but most coaches are going to play the roster that they think will win that night. Either that or play the young guys and get them experience/see what they got.
I've said it before, Scheif, KC, Laine and Ehlers should be able to handle 20 minutes a night. I'm not saying all of them should play that but they are young and in shape and should be able to handle it.
Same goes for Poink, JMo, etc...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Biggest case I can think of load management was Kwai and he’s a lot older than most our Jets. Load manage wheeler and our old guys but KC doesn’t need to be pulled out of games when it seems like he’s turning another corner in his game. If you try and manage laine which would be smart with his health issues he’ll just argue you are keeping his numbers so he gets less, which he should if he has serious health problems.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Scheifele and Wheeler are already being overplayed. TOI over 20 mins isn’t right. Why burn them out in time for playoffs? Tightly packed schedules mean Gustafsson, Vesalainen, and Samberg should be seeing games soon. Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad