Post-Game Talk: Jets lose somehow, 6-5 Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not a hockey coach, I'm a football and basketball coach so I'm applying some logic here that might not completely jive but....

I've heard Maurice talk a lot about the man-to-man setup being easier and that he needs to see the team show an ability to grasp the concept and execute it before moving to something else/they devolve into it when things are not going well.

I understand logically that man-to-man is simpler, you take this guy, you take that guy and so on. But in terms of execution there is no doubt that man-to-man is far more vulnerable to lapses as there is very little safety net. One guy gets beat and another guy has to decide to keep his guy or move to the other guy and it just cascades from there. Usually zone defense concepts have more of a flow for dealing with that and regrouping. Can't say our man-to-man looks like it does.

Him saying it's simpler and he needing to see more is just a bunch of horse crap. These players are all highly trained professional athletes who would have played pretty much any variation of defensive systems from junior/college to the NHL.

If he feels they can't do it tells me more about his inability as a coach then it does about any of the players. All of these players are capable of easily learning any NHL system if given the proper time direction.

You are right that M2M may seem simpler in theory but it isn't in practice due to how quick hockey is. I'd imagine the other two systems that are predominantly used would be much either to execute once learned.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
With Wheeler out Maurice should have tried Perfetti within our top 6 and at least let him play in our home opener. Sitting Perfetti to play 7 defensemen and that 7th defensemen being Booboo is just stupid. Then Booboo plays a grand total of 4 minutes, really Paul ? :banghead:

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
Now that we know Wheeler is not the problem maybe the Jets should sit out Maurice and see what happens ... its a process.

1uf27Y7.gif

there are multiple problems, including wheeler's playing performances in general, some of his decisions (e.g. playing high amount of minutes, being on the ice for multi scenarios and double shifting,) and even his leadership.

Reactions: sipowicz

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
This continues to baffle me. Riley Nash is like, borderline Selke. Why is he not out there defending leads?

I just don't get it, man. Someone make it make sense.

We’ve been trying to figure it out for several years now. So much is illogical.
For the first time ever, the people I was watching the game with are now hoping we lose a bunch in a row so Maurice will get fired.
That’s a terrible place to be as a fan.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
With Wheeler out Maurice should have tried Perfetti within our top 6 and at least let him play in our home opener. Sitting Perfetti to play 7 defensemen and that 7th defensemen being Booboo is just stupid. Then Booboo plays a grand total of 4 minutes, really Paul ? :banghead:
Can you imagine if Perfetti scored playing on the top line ... Maurice would be screwed and unable to send down Perfetti so Paul could not take any chances he took Cole out and dressed the 7th defenseman.
Chevy passed on Trotz, Quenneville, Gallant ... all 3 are ranked in the top 10 coaches in the NHL for 2020-21 and no Paul did not crack the top 10 which is weird because coaching the same team for 9 years you would think he is doing a great job which is not the case..

Reactions: Jets 31 and DRW204

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Can you imagine if Perfetti scored playing on the top line ... Maurice would be screwed and unable to send down Perfetti so Paul could not take any chances he took Cole out and dressed the 7th defenseman.
Chevy passed on Trotz, Quenneville, Gallant ... all 3 are ranked in the top 10 coaches in the NHL for 2020-21 and no Paul did not crack the top 10 which is weird because coaching the same team for 9 years you would think he is doing a great job which is not the case..
As ppl said do you really think Trotz and Quen would come to wpg? I’m not saying wpg can’t get a good coach but they’d have to think more outside the lines. Like promoting an assistant coach, trying a coach from another league.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

When did we pass on Quinville? He was still Chicago's coach when we hired Maurice. Gallant also wasn't seen as any good back then either after he flamed out with the Blje Jackets in his first gig.

Trotz was fired two days before they announced the Maurice extension so the team had likely already agreed to keep Moe on at that point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why wouldn't Trotz have come here

As ppl said do you really think Trotz and Quen would come to wpg? I’m not saying wpg can’t get a good coach but they’d have to think more outside the lines. Like promoting an assistant coach, trying a coach from another league.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Coaches will go anywhere to coach ... obviously they will go to the highest bidder unless of course there's a crappy owner.

Reactions: GNP

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm way less down on this game than most here. Our PK sucks eggs, but the rest seemed decent. But I am mystified by WTF Maurice is doing with the 7-11 skaters thing. It might make some sense if the 7th D played enough to take some heat off the other D, but as is I can't see any strategy behind it.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
When did we pass on Quinville? He was still Chicago's coach when we hired Maurice. Gallant also wasn't seen as any good back then either after he flamed out with the Blje Jackets in his first gig.

Trotz was fired two days before they announced the Maurice extension so the team had likely already agreed to keep Moe on at that point.
I was referring to when those 3 coaches got fired ... Maurice after the 2017-18 season went down hill.
Look at the Habs they fired Michel Therrien who made the playoffs 3 of 4 years and was in 1st place at the time of the firing just to get Claude Julien one week after he was fired by the Bruins.
Maurice in his 24th year of coaching has 8 playoff appearances and 13 times missed the playoffs and twice fired. I don't count the qualifying round in 2020 as making the playoffs. He has a 40-48 playoff record seriously that is not a good record.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE

To reply to your first question, maybe, when he was fired as the jets continued to keep paurice? I might be misremembering the dates, but he was fired from chicago and available for how ever long until he was hired at florida.

(I did check. Chicago fired Quenneville on November 6th, 2018, then Florida hired him on April 8th, 2019.)

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
We’ve been trying to figure it out for several years now. So much is illogical.
For the first time ever, the people I was watching the game with are now hoping we lose a bunch in a row so Maurice will get fired.
That’s a terrible place to be as a fan.
I’m right there in that category. I think 0-10 would do just nicely.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup, I’m surprised it wasn’t a major but even more surprised no one is talking about it. Even the commentators seemed to gloss over it. It was nice to see PLD take a run at him after but because our PK sucks it wasn’t really that advised.

Stanley getting up and not being injured sealed our fate. The NHL mind numbingly only really goes after offenders when someone is hurt. Little Andy Kap targeted the head and it looked to be first point of contact which is why he got a penalty, but hey, who gives a shit about proper discipline without a body bag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad