Post-Game Talk: Jets lose again to the Sharks 3-0

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I expect both thought they would be traded before the season and then tried to make the best of it when the season started. Not sure what happened after that, but I'd guess it was a whole bunch of variables that played into the current decline. We can speculate, but IMO Chevy needs to own a good chunk of the current mess.

No disagreements on that. Feel if it was that bad both should have been dealt last offseason but once they weren't it should have been clear especially when the team was doing well that they would be sticking around.

It's not just Jets the Blues just dealt Tarasenko a month or so ago a full year and 3/4 after he publicly demanded a trade. If the Blues and other players can be professional and honor contracts then ours should be able to as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No disagreements on that. Feel if it was that bad both should have been dealt last offseason but once they weren't it should have been clear especially when the team was doing well that they would be sticking around.

It's not just Jets the Blues just dealt Tarasenko a month or so ago a full year and 3/4 after he publicly demanded a trade. If the Blues and other players can be professional and honor contracts then ours should be able to as well.
Well they have been honouring their contracts. No one has refused to be part of the team.

Reactions: Inanna

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Can you point to anyone who stated coaching was the ONLY issue? Mo had to go. There just isn't any doubt about it. In fact, part of the problem with this org is that (as with so many other tough choices) he was here probably at least 2 seasons too many. But I don't think many people figured a coaching change was the only thing needed - or that Bones was necessarily the real coaching solution. In fact a lot of us were pretty disappointed that there weren't significant roster changes made in the off season. But, things looked good for a while this year so we were all made to eat some crow. But that crow is being spit back up now! lol.
The coaching change was by far the most discussed topic regarding issues related to this team.
Are you suggesting it wasn't?
No, it was not the only point discussed ever brought up but it was the main one - if the point you are driving in your response is to note that coaching was not the only issue ever discussed on this board, I won't argue.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do you trust Wheeler on defensively responsible Lowry's line? I'd like Wheeler's time reduced, but I think he's less dangerous with 27 and 7 than with 17.
i never really understood why folks think wheeler and lowry would be an effective combo.

Reactions: tbcwpg

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The baffling part is that gus, ajf, etc would all play better than wheeler right now... hes playing thru an injury obviously because he was at least serviceable before the nut shot

Press box would be the best place he could help the jets

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I expect both thought they would be traded before the season and then tried to make the best of it when the season started. Not sure what happened after that, but I'd guess it was a whole bunch of variables that played into the current decline. We can speculate, but IMO Chevy needs to own a good chunk of the current mess.
I didn't get the impression hearing 55 talk over the summer about how much he was looking forward to working with Bones - great communicator, and so on, would lead anyone to believe he was looking for a trade. Just the opposite actually.
I'd agree that it is possible that PLD may have expected a move - or maybe a trade after this season. Who knows - but I'd have to assume that the org was going to go ahead with TY based on current roster and the positive vibe with Bones on board.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The baffling part is that gus, ajf, etc would all play better than wheeler right now... hes playing thru an injury obviously because he was at least serviceable before the nut shot

Press box would be the best place he could help the jets
They aren’t sitting that salary in a press box EVER

Reactions: Stumbledore and rkp

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Do you trust Wheeler on defensively responsible Lowry's line? I'd like Wheeler's time reduced, but I think he's less dangerous with 27 and 7 than with 17.

I would put Wheeler where he does the most good / least harm.

Where is that now?

Not the first, 3rd or 4th lines.

Likely that Ehlers and Names also do better without him.

Is there any line he helps right now?

Are they allowed to PB Wheeler?

If not why not?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I would put Wheeler where he does the most good / least harm.

Where is that now?

Not the first, 3rd or 4th lines.

Likely that Ehlers and Names also do better without him.

Is there any line he helps right now?

Are they allowed to PB Wheeler?

If not why not?

Does someone like AJF or Kuhlman do better than Wheeler right now? Probably not. Is he overplayed? Yes. Is he a better option than Kuhlman or AJF when the team needs offence? Also yes.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The coaching change was by far the most discussed topic regarding issues related to this team.
Are you suggesting it wasn't?
No, it was not the only point discussed ever brought up but it was the main one - if the point you are driving in your response is to note that coaching was not the only issue ever discussed on this board, I won't argue.

Well yah at the time, prior to Mo firing himself, it was a big topic of dicsussion - because he'd been here way too long already. It was well-beyond time for that move to be made. But once he left, and especially after the various drama that occurred with players at the end of the season, many were talking about and actually expecting changes to the roster. I waited all summer long for some big announcements which never came. I don't think even Maurice's most vocal critics would have suggested that a coaching cahnge was the solution to all our issues. It was just the most obvious thing that needed to happen at the time. Suggesting that what's happening now proves that "coaching wasn't the problem" is ridiculous. Obviously, it wasn't the only problem (and most would never have said it was). But it was one of the big ones at the time.

And of course it's not impossible that coachinng is still a problem to some degree. I don't think half a season of success proves that Bowness was the answer as head coach...

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Does someone like AJF or Kuhlman do better than Wheeler right now? Probably not. Is he overplayed? Yes. Is he a better option than Kuhlman or AJF when the team needs offence? Also yes.

Is he though at the moment?

Is he slower and less aggressive on the puck?

Is he more tired more quickly?

Is he able to forecheck and track back as effectively?

I'm not sure why we're sticking with the truths of even a few months ago.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
In other news

Life as a Jets fan in 2023….

1680221773826.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad