Dreger: Jets likely to buyout Blake Wheeler

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't understand why a productive player with just 1 year left on their deal would be bought out

Retain 50% on Wheeler, and send him to the Islanders for Bailey and the 49th pick

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
AA and NFoligno get 4m, but Wheeler can't find a home for 4.1? Unless the Jets really think that extra morsel of cap space is that important this season.

Put aside that he's a prick, he's still a pretty good player.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Laine asked for a trade, so you do they best you can. Rarely do you "win" in a deal. Same story with PLD, guy wants out and asks for a trade, hard to "win" a trade again. I think all things considered WPG make out quite well just getting Vilardi alone.
Don't mind the trade but, Wheeler seemed insecure of Laine and his spot on the top line/PP. Wheeler always rubbed me the wrong way with what he had to say about younger guys he was meant to mentor. I think laines departure from wpg started with not being on the same page as capt wheels.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't understand why a productive player with just 1 year left on their deal would be bought out

Retain 50% on Wheeler, and send him to the Islanders for Bailey and the 49th pick

That implies some team is interested in Wheeler even at half salary. Seems they aren't.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Some Jets fans unfairly shit on this guy but he is nothing but a complete pro on and off the ice in the community. Leaves it all out there on the ice, one can never accuse him of taking a night off (something unfortunately many Jets players do).

He would be a great signing for a contender, brings a good mixture of leadership, heart and scoring. Can play well in your middle six surroounded by defensively minded forwards and can really help a PP.

I expect him to sign a deal with Florida. Him and Maurice are best buds and I think that's a good situation for him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
AA and NFoligno get 4m, but Wheeler can't find a home for 4.1? Unless the Jets really think that extra morsel of cap space is that important this season.

Put aside that he's a prick, he's still a pretty good player.
His NTC probably makes things difficult. If I'm Wheeler I'd rather get bought out and double dip by signing a new contract elsewhere.

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Don't mind the trade but, Wheeler seemed insecure of Laine and his spot on the top line/PP. Wheeler always rubbed me the wrong way with what he had to say about younger guys he was meant to mentor. I think laines departure from wpg started with not being on the same page as capt wheels.

The reality is that when Laine was with the Jets esp after his first 2 seasons, he was complete ass at 5v5. Laine had some of the worst 5v5 metrics but still expected the Jets to put him on the top line and give him minutes that he was clearly not capable of handling. When Laine was given the opportunity on the top line, that line had some of the worst underlying metrics for a line in Jets history.

I think the problem with Laine and Jets was Laine not being on the same page as reality not the captain.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Should just keep him until his contract expires. Are the Jets planning on trying to compete this season? He only has one year left, and he'd likely be a good mentor for the younger guys, no?

• Haha
Reactions: jetssaying

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
His NTC probably makes things difficult. If I'm Wheeler I'd rather get bought out and double dip by signing a new contract elsewhere.
It depends if he expects his salary to be at least as 1/3rd of his salary this year

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
And the teams acquiring him would rather sign him as a free agent for much less than $4m. These three factors easily explain why he hasn't been moved and likely won't be able to be moved unless some assets are included or another bad salary comes back.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It is just a sad reflection of today's players when Wheeler who is normally a really nice guy in the community is considered a "prick" by some because he expects his fellow players (who are being paid millions of dollars) to behave like professionals and put an honest effort on the ice.

The fact that people take the side of snowflake millionaire players and criticize Wheeler for being too hard on guys like Laine is a sad reflection of society.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
The reality is that when Laine was with the Jets esp after his first 2 seasons, he was complete ass at 5v5. Laine had some of the worst 5v5 metrics but still expected the Jets to put him on the top line and give him minutes that he was clearly not capable of handling. When Laine was given the opportunity on the top line, that line had some of the worst underlying metrics for a line in Jets history.

I think the problem with Laine and Jets was Laine not being on the same page as reality not the captain.
That's fine and all, but why did the captain not mentor him? Seemed like wheeler was dividing more than bringing guys togather. Not sure wheeler was any good defensively either fwiw. Laine says like two words, not sure I've even heard him speak since getting to cbj, just didn't understand the narrative against him.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
It is just a sad reflection of today's players when Wheeler who is normally a really nice guy in the community is considered a "prick" by some because he expects his fellow players (who are being paid millions of dollars) to behave like professionals and put an honest effort on the ice.

The fact that people take the side of snowflake millionaire players and criticize Wheeler for being too hard on guys like Laine is a sad reflection of society.
Wheeler is soft and self serving. Not a captain. That's why bowness stripped him. Doesn't play hard both ways, hardly professional.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I don't think it was the message as much as how it was delivered

Different people respond to different leadership styles. The best leaders read that and adapt

By some accounts (including wheeler's), he was a bit of a steamroller

Reactions: MardyBum

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think everyone and their mother knew this was coming.

Other GMs figured a buyout was going to happen given there wasnt much trade chatter around him. Why pay even a later pick for him @ $4million if you can get him for free in UFA.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Everyone here who is confused (and may not be Jets fans) may not appreciate that there have been rumours of a troubled locker room for ages now in Winnipeg, some of which has been attributed to Wheeler and his leadership or lack of accountability amongst players. They tried to strip him of the C, but many players reportedly still view him as the leader in the room. So, if the Jets management want to address the issue sooner rather than later, they may look to trade him, or buy him out if there are no takers.

Reactions: kenobiwan

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
AZ can probably get a draft pick for taking him

No, Laine's better
AZ not going to take on 8.25m cap/cash for another middle round pick at TDL. He still puts up great numbers but he wont make AZ or any non-playoff team a contender and likely any serious contenders wont have the cap space.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The longer this goes without a buyout the more I think this is about shaking Wheeler down to waive his NTC. I guess we'll learn at the end of the buyout window.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The longer this goes without a buyout the more I think this is about shaking Wheeler down to waive his NTC. I guess we'll learn at the end of the buyout window.

The buyout window ends Friday and Chevy will use all that time to see if he can trade him instead.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Everyone here who is confused (and may not be Jets fans) may not appreciate that there have been rumours of a troubled locker room for ages now in Winnipeg, some of which has been attributed to Wheeler and his leadership or lack of accountability amongst players. They tried to strip him of the C, but many players reportedly still view him as the leader in the room. So, if the Jets management want to address the issue sooner rather than later, they may look to trade him, or buy him out if there are no takers.
There is no problem in the locker room. Never was. Could there have been an incident. Sure but that happens to every team. The players get along just fine. Stop believing people who are paid to stir the pot. They know nothing.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad