McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I like it bc they won’t resign him. Or if they do the flyers would make good trade partners for their assets. I would think they would be better served at center even though I like stone miles more than Duchene.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is not a surprise. Stone and Scheifele played together at the WHC, and they were the 2 key components of Canada's best line bar none that won gold.

This would be a huge add to the Jets. Not sure who is going the other way, but it would could be huge if Duchene is also added to the deal.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
trading kc is idiotic . kc or ehlers will not get bumped down to the 3rd line for a player skating in quicksand all year and who has 1 goal in 2 months.
Nah. Putting an elite possession player who is also a good playmaker with one of the best goalscorers in the NHL sounds like a great idea. Putting one of the best goalscorers in the NHL with a couple grinders sounds like a terrible idea.

Connor has lots of holes in his game that are masked by playing with Wheeler/Scheifele basically his entire career.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
On paper, Stone for Laine is an intriguing issue.
Stone is an elite RW with proven production ability. He’s a hometown boy from Winnipeg, that would increase an already producing lineup, and make a Cup run very lucrative.
But in reality, trading a promising and high-end young kid like Laine, just ending his ELC, who is going through what will likely be his worst production drought in his career, for a 26 year old doesn’t make sense.
Especially if you factor in Wheelers age and the lack of up and coming depth on the right side.
Logic dictates you keep Laine and help him get his game back, as much as you can for at least another year, before even entertaining the thought of trading him.
If they get Stone, it won’t be for Laine

Last edited:
Reactions: Saitama

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think this is the year to put all eggs into the basket if you are Chevy. He will never have a better chance to win the cup. After this year, there are lot of contracts that need to be worked out.

Stone and Duchene as the #2C would upgrade the Jets remarkably.

Reactions: BatVader

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
As great of a player Stone is I am not sure it makes much sense for the Jets to give up pieces for anything outside of a center. I don't think replacing Laine on the 2nd line is the answer. You need to find someone who can get Laine going. Regardless of Laines flaws, that shot is world class and there are plenty of players out there that could make great use of it.

Jets need to be looking at a 5 player top six. Scheifele - Wheeler with whoever they have available to toss on that line. Connor - high end playmaking C - Laine.

Trade Ehlers or Connor in the deal for the center.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
As great of a player Stone is I am not sure it makes much sense for the Jets to give up pieces for anything outside of a center. I don't think replacing Laine on the 2nd line is the answer. You need to find someone who can get Laine going. Regardless of Laines flaws, that shot is world class and there are plenty of players out there that could make great use of it.

Jets need to be looking at a 5 player top six. Scheifele - Wheeler with whoever they have available to toss on that line. Connor - high end playmaking C - Laine.

Trade Ehlers or Connor in the deal for the center.
Personally I keep Connor and move out Ehlers.
I just like Connors game more.
Though I’d prefer to keep them both.
Also, I agree that a 2C should be the target over another winger. I think Duchene would be a great fit with Laine.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stone will make little look like a good center

Stone has the ability to carry his own line

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
2015 interview with Mark Stone

Growing up, who was your favourite team? Until I was 4 it was the Jets. The only games we got were Calgary and Toronto in Winnipeg. Those were the two teams I watched the most, so I’d have to say they were my favourite

OK, but did he have the jammies?
Or did he get a Calgary Flames sleep set when he was 5?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Give me a guarantee that he'll re-sign, and I'm 190% for it.

Don't, and he can stay a Senator.
he is a pure rental. which is why the jets are not giving up a 1st and a A prospect. I could see a 1st Perreault who wont be here next year and is signed for another year and a B prospect going. niku ves Stanley Appleton roslovic samberg wont get moved.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
he is a pure rental. which is why the jets are not giving up a 1st and a A prospect. I could see a 1st Perreault who wont be here next year and is signed for another year and a B prospect going. niku ves Stanley Appleton roslovic samberg wont get moved.
I'm not giving a single asset for a /rental/ /winger/, when we already have Perreault and Petan being misused in the worst way.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think they keep Perreault for the playoffs and move Appleton and another youngling, though if it’s a rental, then it won’t be Vesa, Roslovic, or Niku

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Give me a guarantee that he'll re-sign, and I'm 190% for it.

Don't, and he can stay a Senator.
Can you defer a player as part of a condition. For instance if he resigns then you send an asset over at that time.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Then neither will Stone.

Can you defer a player as part of a condition. For instance if he resigns then you send an asset over at that time.

You can make a pick conditional. Like it could be 1st + a Conditional 2nd on the condition that if he re-signs in the Peg, that 2nd rounder turns into another 1st round pick. But you can't do something like "send over another prospect, if he re-signs".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am going to think this one has the potential to be even bigger.

Adding Stone, and Duchene.

1. Scheifele with Stone(again they were terrific on Team Canada) and Connor
2. Duchene, Wheeler and Laine
3. Little with Ehlers and Roslovic
4. Lowry with take your pick Copp, Tanev. Lemieux.

That's a very formidable 4 lines. Jets window is now. I don't see with the cap issues arising of them having a better shot at the cup with players in their prime as this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad