GDT: Jets @ Kings • Apr 9, 2016. 9PM • Season Finale [tank talk --> tank thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
1Lb3pWl.png

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
From the pre-game thread:

JETS (34-39-8) at KINGS (48-28-5)

TV: 10 p.m. ET; SN, PRIME, NHL.TV

Season series: The Los Angeles Kings and Winnipeg Jets have split two games. Kings forward Milan Lucic scored with 4:41 left in a 4-1 win at Winnipeg on Oct. 27. Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec made 33 saves in a 4-1 win on March 24.

Jets team scope: Winnipeg has a season-high three-game winning streak entering its season finale. Blake Wheeler has an NHL career-high 10-game point streak (seven goals, seven assists), the longest active streak in the NHL and one game from tying the franchise record set by Marian Hossa with the Atlanta Thrashers in 2006-07. Mark Scheifele has an NHL career-high nine-game point streak (six goals, eight assists); he needs one goal to become the first Winnipeg player to reach 30 since Evander Kane in 2011-12. Coach Paul Maurice has not confirmed a starting goaltender; Pavelec and Michael Hutchinson have alternated the past three starts. Pavelec is 4-0-2 in his past six.

Kings team scope: First in the Pacific Division, Los Angeles can clinch its second division title with a win. If the Kings lose in regulation, Los Angeles would need the second-place Anaheim Ducks to lose to the Colorado Avalanche in regulation Saturday; an overtime or shootout loss by the Kings would require a loss of any kind by the Ducks. A win would give Los Angeles 103 points, second-most in its history. With 26 home wins, Los Angeles is one shy of setting a Kings record. Lucic has three goals in his past two games, and Anze Kopitar has three assists in his past two games.
At last - game 82. The final step in this 6-month circling of the drain. It's been a trying season for the team and the fanbase, but there've been a few light glimmers to take from the season: Scheifele's emergence as a bonafide top line center (even if shooting 22.5% or so over the last 15 games), Ehlers' top 6 winger potential and natural swagger with the puck, Dano being a bigger Petan, Hellebuyck still owning the best NHL record amongst the 3 goalies, Kyle Connor's absolute tear through the B1G conference, amongst others.

All panic and consternation aside, mine included, the Jets can do no worse than finish 6th overall in the pre-lottery draft, and have almost as equal a chance of winning a top 3 pick as they do of picking 7th. In light of this, I might try cheering for them tonight, if I remember how to. Man, I don't know how Oilers fans have done it in the past decade.

At any rate, win or lose, let it burn, Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
An interesting development for the Jets is the emergence of an offensively dominant 1st line. Having a line that can score consistently and is tough to shut down is a relatively new thing for the Jets.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I posted it pretty late, and there hasn't been much here to get amped about. I know my posting on this board has dwindled significantly as the season wore on.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like people are leaving outright, just reducing their posting

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
2 earlier game results that impact this game.

If Calgary loses to Minnesota in any manner then the Jets are locked in to the 6 seed. To be the 5 seed would require a Calgary ROW and a Jets loss in any manner or a Calgary SO win and a Jets loss in regulation

If Anaheim loses to Colorado in regulation then the Kings clinch the Pacific title.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
2 earlier game results that impact this game.

If Calgary loses to Minnesota in any manner then the Jets are locked in to the 6 seed. To be the 5 seed would require a Calgary ROW and a Jets loss in any manner or a Calgary SO win and a Jets loss in regulation

If Anaheim loses to Colorado in regulation then the Kings clinch the Pacific title.

Thanks for saving me the post. That is the grid and my guess is it does't break our way tonight but hey WTF it would put the appropriate stamp on this season really. Then of coare when the draft lottery breaks our way we can feel a rush of joy......not the draft lottery you say.....then when PLD or PJ's falls to us at 7. If Filip Forsberg can fall on draft day one of Fins or PLD can.

There are some layers of hope for a happy ending to this season.

Hoping Scheif gets his 30h.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for saving me the post. That is the grid and my guess is it does't break our way tonight but hey WTF it would put the appropriate stamp on the season really. Then of coare when the draft lottery breaks our way we can feel a rush of joy......not the draft lottery you say.....then when PLD or PJ's falls to us at 7.

Lots of interest for me. Just watching ESW play is pure joy. Can Scheifele get #30? Can Buff get #20?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
An interesting development for the Jets is the emergence of an offensively dominant 1st line. Having a line that can score consistently and is tough to shut down is a relatively new thing for the Jets.

And we get Perreault and Little back next year.

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels
Perreault - Little - Stafford

Not a bad couple of top 6 lines.

As someone has mentioned before, we might know where the Jets will pick before the game even starts. Looking forward to tonight's game, and I hope Scheif hits 30G and Buff hits 20G. :nod:

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Thanks for saving me the post. That is the grid and my guess is it does't break our way tonight but hey WTF it would put the appropriate stamp on this season really. Then of coare when the draft lottery breaks our way we can feel a rush of joy......not the draft lottery you say.....then when PLD or PJ's falls to us at 7. If Filip Forsberg can fall on draft day one of Fins or PLD can.

Hoping Scheif gets his 30h.

Expect to pick 9th will be happy to pick above this pick:popcorn:
We should pull the goalie with 20 min. Left in the 1st period:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels

As someone has mentioned before, we might know where the Jets will pick before the game even starts. Looking forward to tonight's game, and I hope Scheif hits 30G. :nod:

Won't know where they'll pick, but might know their lottery seeding. Either way, I'm interested to see how this lineup fares against the Kings.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Won't know where they'll pick, but might know their lottery seeding. Either way, I'm interested to see how this lineup fares against the Kings.

Yes, sorry: that's what I meant. :laugh: We get one more day of consternation on lottery ball day. ;)

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels

As someone has mentioned before, we might know where the Jets will pick before the game even starts. Looking forward to tonight's game, and I hope Scheif hits 30G and Buff hits 20G. :nod:

The problem with Stafford is that he simultaneously is both not good enough for top six usage, and also requires top six linemates. You probably have him in the best place for him though.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Even though this season has sucked for the most part, I'm still sad this is the last game. In a way I hope Calgary loses so we can openly cheer for a Jets win, one last time this season.

And Please, for the love of God, Scheifele score one more goal... or three.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
So this is it. After tonight there will be no Jets games until October. At this point I'm only hoping for a good pick at the draft, that will be Matthews - may he be the one to build our team around such as that found in past keystone players like Hawerchuk/Selanne/Hull

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It will be nice to maybe be able to cheer on the team without feeling guilty, if Calgary lose.

Knowing this season though, they'll win if the Flames win and lose if the Flames lose.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Lots of storylines in tonight's game and it will be fun to watch. I wish we could fast forward through time and start next season already! It will be a loooonnng summer.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg

Yep, this is what I'm most excited about along with Hellebuyck next year. Ladd Little Wheeler seemed like a stale first line with consistency but not much upside

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Let's get this crappy season over with. Go get number 30 chef, you deserve it. I'd prefer we end the season in the 5th seed rather than 6th. Whatever. Hoping for the best in the lotto!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce