Player Discussion: Jets have suspended Dustin Byfuglien for failing to report to camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
As another transplanted Canadian(18 years in US) I can confirm there is so much truth in all this sadly.
This is the case in many US hospitals, I worked in both civilian Canadian and US healthcare systems including both military ones, and except for the US Public healthcare system, and possibly the US VA, the value for the patient is far better in Canada, on average. There are exceptions. Sports medicine is very good in both countries, both orthopedics and sports physical therapy. Canadian chiropractors are also better trained in diagnostic medicine. My last patients as a PT in Canada (88 Winter Olympics) were Team Canada hockey players, one an Oiler, the other a Jet..
IMHO, I expect Buff is getting excellent follow-up care and would be surprised if he is not skating next season, if not earlier next year. Just my 2 bits (29 cents US )

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wow things have gotten crazy on this front the last week.

Anyhow I think if he had followed proper procedure (CBA wise) this would be a non issue right now. The fact that this seems to be done on his own accord has people speculating. I'm sure there will be some resolution to it at some point.

Reactions: None

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Yeah, I posted it to quash the "he sold the house" talk that had been happening.

Maybe they will at some point but it hasn't happened yet.

Well, I looked at the Hockey Feed website and it did have a picture of the house and address. If you google the address, it does show as being sold so... lol.

Hey, I felt greasy doing that quick search but it is what it is. What a train wreck.

Reactions: sipowicz

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well, I looked at the Hockey Feed website and it did have a picture of the house and address. If you google the address, it does show as being sold so... lol.

Hey, I felt greasy doing that quick search but it is what it is. What a train wreck.

As long as you aren't doing slow drivebys you are ok

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Got this from the Freep comments section from todays Buff story, it's a good one from Non Partisan

Buff: "my ankle is bothering me and I don't think I'm ready to start the season"

Chevy: "team doctors say you're good to go"

Buff: "I disagree and if you don't put me on IR I'm going to retire"

Chevy: "that's your choice, why don't you think about it for a while and get back to me, but until then you're suspended because in our opinion you are healthy"

Buff: "well I thought it over for a while and the ankle is still bothering me"

Chevy: "team doctors still say you're good to go"

Buff: "screw it, I'll look hard and long till I find a doctor that will tell me what I want to hear and until then you can tell everyone I'm still pondering retirement"

Chevy to the media: "it's complicated"

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
We just need him to sign the retirement papers and get him out of the organization officially. Time to move on.

He's in breach of contract by not reporting to camp.

The Jets can absolutely walk away right now if they don't want a top defenceman if/when he returns.

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Well here’s hoping that we are all wrong and there is more to the story than we know. I don’t want to believe that Buff would do this to the organization. If he did however then we can all rule out a return.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We are just one Uber ride … with players getting caught complaining about Maurice... away from being Ottawa.
Not even close. The organization just had 3 of its biggest young stars sign back on, with some really nice talent just about ready for prominent roles. What they have is a unique player who came to the point where he is ready to call it a career but with $14 M still on the table. A classy organization does what TNSE is doing, they are letting the pieces gradually fall while keeping the door open. I'd hazard a guess some of the more powerful organizations would have steamrolled this to a conclusion by making it very public and forcing Buff's hand.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Well here’s hoping that we are all wrong and there is more to the story than we know. I don’t want to believe that Buff would do this to the organization. If he did however then we can all rule out a return.
Of course there is more to this story that we do not know. I'd guess we know maybe 5% of the story at this point. But as Brian Burke said last night on Sportsnet, eventually the entire story will come out.

Reactions: JetsNut

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
However this ends it's a black eye for the franchise perceptually or earned. The Trolls will be out en masse and this type of negative press will effect decisions made about us for years. Sad to see.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Not even close. The organization just had 3 of its biggest young stars sign back on, with some really nice talent just about ready for prominent roles. What they have is a unique player who came to the point where he is ready to call it a career but with $14 M still on the table. A classy organization does what TNSE is doing, they are letting the pieces gradually fall while keeping the door open. I'd hazard a guess some of the more powerful organizations would have steamrolled this to a conclusion by making it very public and forcing Buff's hand.
I think you might be giving true north to much credit

Reactions: rkp and hn777

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
However this ends it's a black eye for the franchise perceptually or earned. The Trolls will be out en masse and this type of negative press will effect decisions made about us for years. Sad to see.
How can you say that without knowing the full story?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

No, I disagree with you completely. Jets run a classy organization (see Meyers for example) with young stars wanting to sign in Winnipeg of all places.

If you can’t handle the trolls, I’ll deal with them. That’s my specialty! :)

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
As another transplanted Canadian(18 years in US) I can confirm there is so much truth in all this sadly.

As someone that worked in the US for over 10 years, I am in 100% agreement with you and JetFanInFlorida. I silently shake my head in dis-belief when Canadians mention they would like to have the US system. The grass is greener on the other side until you have to live it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Got this from the Freep comments section from todays Buff story, it's a good one from Non Partisan

Buff: "my ankle is bothering me and I don't think I'm ready to start the season"

Chevy: "team doctors say you're good to go"

Buff: "I disagree and if you don't put me on IR I'm going to retire"

Chevy: "that's your choice, why don't you think about it for a while and get back to me, but until then you're suspended because in our opinion you are healthy"

Buff: "well I thought it over for a while and the ankle is still bothering me"

Chevy: "team doctors still say you're good to go"

Buff: "screw it, I'll look hard and long till I find a doctor that will tell me what I want to hear and until then you can tell everyone I'm still pondering retirement"

Chevy to the media: "it's complicated"
Completely fictitious narrative. I'm not sure what the point is. I know it's difficult, but probably best to just wait and see how the situation plays out, and leave Buff and his family alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad