Jets goaltending discussion (part 3)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
you can add the reports of one users good friend (don't know who it was) who worked in real estate around Winnipeg for 35 years confirmed that Eliott was already looking for a place.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Probably the best fit for us while TNSE are waiting to see what we have in Hellebuyck. Here's hoping Brain rebounds to league average and Connor can find his game. This will represent the most talent we have had in our net to start a season which isn't saying much but as we know it's all a crap shoot with goalies.

If this is our one two punch then I am as guardedly optimistic as one could be cheering for a team that gives their fan base goalie induced PTSD. :laugh:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
you can add the reports of one users good friend (don't know who it was) who said that a friend of him who worked in real estate around Winnipeg for 35 years confirmed that Eliott was already looking for a place.

This certainly makes it sound very likely.

He was not my first choice, and I was initially a bit disappointed when Chevy passed on other options at the Expansion Draft and after, but as I've educated myself more about Elliott, I am feeling better about it. He seems to be a really good fit -- experienced, a mentor, team player, and thrives in a platoon situation which is all of what we need.

I really liked the idea of Raanta, but if we assume Jets' management is right to retain faith in Hellebuyck I think Elliott is a better pick as he's more of a mentor who will help transition Helle to being full-time starter versus Raanta who would be more of a battle for starter type situation. A lot of the top options were just not reasonable. Sadly, there was no chance of a Bishop or Schneider coming here. So living in the real world I really can't argue with Chevy's choice if he is indeed going with Elliott.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Im happy with this. Elliott is perfectly average, and I am ok with that.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Im happy with this. Elliott is perfectly average, and I am ok with that.

We've been saying that league average goaltending makes us a playoff team for years, hopefully we get to see that this is the truth.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Elliot has been discussed lots across multiple different threads. But I'll just add my vote here of being "cool with it". There's a lot of positives. Stability in net. No assets lost in trade. Likely available on a very reasonable contract. Likely only available at all because of a small handful of bad games which fans (and GMs) tend to overreact to. Cool with a platoon. Doesn't stifle Hellebuyck. A better goalie than many give him credit for. Likely happy with the opportunity Winnipeg will present.

As I posted a couple months back, an Elliot signing has TNSE written all over it. It's the safe, smart, value-for-dollar choice.

I'm ok with that.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Probably the best fit for us while TNSE are waiting to see what we have in Hellebuyck. Here's hoping Brain rebounds to league average and Connor can find his game. This will represent the most talent we have had in our net to start a season which isn't saying much but as we know it's all a crap shoot with goalies.

If this is our one two punch then I am as guardedly optimistic as one could be cheering for a team that gives their fan base goalie induced PTSD. :laugh:

I think Elliott will improve on last year's numbers in a platoon situation.

That said, even Elliott's 2016/2017 numbers were better than Helle's and a lot better than Hutch's. So I'll take it. It's an improvement no matter what.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Career .913 and .921 over his last 6 seasons. He's a veteran that has the ability to be very good, add some stability and probably most importantly, push Helle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Again, not the 1st option but he was on the list.

Better than doing nothing.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
We've been saying that league average goaltending makes us a playoff team for years, hopefully we get to see that this is the truth.

Well, the one and only seasons we had league average numbers, we made the playoffs, so thus far we are batting 1.000 in that regard. I do think that this team is better than people give it credit before and it's looked/seemed much worse because of **** goaltending. I've been saying for months that I think we're a legitimate goalie away from being contenders and I still hold to that.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This certainly makes it sound very likely.

He was not my first choice, and I was initially a bit disappointed when Chevy passed on other options at the Expansion Draft and after, but as I've educated myself more about Elliott, I am feeling better about it. He seems to be a really good fit -- experienced, a mentor, team player, and thrives in a platoon situation which is all of what we need.

I really liked the idea of Raanta, but if we assume Jets' management is right to retain faith in Hellebuyck I think Elliott is a better pick as he's more of a mentor who will help transition Helle to being full-time starter versus Raanta who would be more of a battle for starter type situation. A lot of the top options were just not reasonable. Sadly, there was no chance of a Bishop or Schneider coming here. So living in the real world I really can't argue with Chevy's choice if he is indeed going with Elliott.

I agree with just about everything you're saying, but the bolded is your imagination. You have no idea what deals Chevy did or didn't try to make and what he did or didn't offer to make those deals work. None of us do and until Chevy gets fired, re-hired, re-fired and retired, then writes a book, chances are none of us will know what did or didn't or almost happened.

I'm excited to a point about Elliot. He's had a few absolutely stellar seasons. He's stunk it up here and there, too, but overall I think he's a big upgrade in terms of veteran talent, and he brings a lot of experience that I think Helley can benefit from. As long as the term/cash aren't too much, I'll be really good with this signing.

Ideally 2x2.25, but I'd live with anything under 3x4. Overpayment for sure, but we NEED a goalie, many of the guys that should have been higher on TNSE's list are gone already (Raanta, Darling, Bishop) and Winnipeg is a place that may need to pay a little extra to entice the UFAs that they're after. I could live with overpayment within reason.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Pretty much any goalie the Jets could sign would be an improvement over what we have seen for 6 seasons. And if not... Oh well, at least they tried someone different. Just trying to fix the problem in net is a step up for this organization.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Pretty much any goalie the Jets could sign would be an improvement over what we have seen for 6 seasons. And if not... Oh well, at least they tried someone different. Just trying to fix the problem in net is a step up for this organization.

Lol isnt this the god's honest truth.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
After the exp draft, the worry I had was Elliot and Mason would be picked up by different teams and we'd be getting an unproven or career journeyman goalie, so i'll take a 1B coming off a bad playoffs anyday.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good fit imo. Decent stats even after a very bad start in CGY went 23-9-2 with 915 SV% after starting 3-9-1. Just need someone to relieve the pressure off Helle

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I see Elliot as a goalie comparable to Pavs in his best season when we made the playoffs. Not in terms of style but in terms of streaky play throughout his career. He gets really hot and really cold but it should be enough to get us into playoffs with our offence.

MotionlessGravity

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
This is fine. For the right term and price I think this is the best option remaining out there for us. Vet guy who has been around league average or better his last 4 seasons. Should be able to hold the fort if Helle falters. Not the absolute best tandem we could put out there but it is better than anything we have had thus far.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I see Elliot as a goalie comparable to Pavs in his best season when we made the playoffs. Not in terms of style but in terms of streaky play throughout his career. He gets really hot and really cold but it should be enough to get us into playoffs with our offence.

Whenever he gets cold, we can ride Helly and the other way around.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
We were looking for league average goaltending and that's what we are going to get. Can't complain about that. It won't be a signing that blows anybody away but I do think he is one for the safest and most consistent bets we could make.

On a side note. I was encouraged by his explanation as to why he had a slow start last season and hopeful he will come in looking better with the Jets (i think it was posted in the goaltending thread).

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
you can add the reports of one users good friend (don't know who it was) who worked in real estate around Winnipeg for 35 years confirmed that Eliott was already looking for a place.

My friend's brother's girlfriend's mom's hairdresser said he was looking for a vehicle here already too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad