Jets get A+ in this year's draft and best rating

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe they know something about Logan Stanley that we don't. If the Jets fans here on HFBoards rated the Jets' drafting this year they would probably gave them a D or F for the whole Logan Stanley fiasco.

Jets poster started a poll on the main board asking if Chevy was a bottom-5 GM, and led off the "yes" votes. The poll was closed for a lopsided "no" result, led by fans from other teams. Hmmmm...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Maybe they know something about Logan Stanley that we don't. If the Jets fans here on HFBoards rated the Jets' drafting this year they would probably gave them a D or F for the whole Logan Stanley fiasco.

What Logan Stanley fiasco? I dont get it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ding ding.

If I'm talking expected value relative to expectations/position, I'm giving a C/C+ pass (4/7):
Above expectations - Green and Berdin
At expectations: Laine and Allard
Below: Trading up, Stanley, Cederholm

If talking overall impact, I'm probably giving an A too, because Laine is likely elite. Also, Stanley is still a decent prospect, so he still gives value if you are not taking in account relative to expectation/position.

100% agree with this. Overall Impact an A largely because we are adding Laine. Same kind of rating happened with the Oilers last year.....they landed McDavid and even though they paid too much for Reinhart they got an A grade for overall impact and I agree with that ranking too.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015

I've said it before in our own poll, and I'll say it here again. I give this draft the highest rating (A in our poll, but if there's a plus option then yes an A+). Completely agree with the article, even more so with guys like Luke Green who they didn't even mention. I think the Jets Brass were really high on Stanley, maybe they heard the right things in the interview, maybe they even saw something else as well, whatever it was, it was enough for them to say they're as high on this guy as they were on Sheifele. Massive, massive words to say from an organization that rarely says anything through tight lipped mouths. We may have got an absolute gem here guys. He's a project for sure, but so was Sheifele in some cases. This guy may have a few more cases, may not, but I'm willing to wait it out and see where his development takes him. The sky is the limit with this guy.

I'm not down one bit that we traded #36 to get him. You saw in the interview, he felt really special that we actually traded up to get him. In my thoughts I'm thinking, with this guys great character maybe something like that pushes him to develop into something even greater. Not to mention the guys a Stanley. I know a rose would smell just as sweet but come on guys, get the tingles, share these shivers with me.

By now, if your reading this, you can feel this massive unbearable presence of a giant mammal in these words. That animal is an Elephant, and by elephant I don't mean problem, I mean obvious obvious truth that is being overlooked. This elephant goes by the name of Patrik F-ing Laine baby. A player whose potential is so great it's unknown. A combination of nationality and skill that hasn't been seen here since we all know when. This is a story you only dream about in your deepest thoughts because you don't want to jinx it. But now it has happened guys. It's happened for us. The stars have aligned in our favour and we just can't wait to see them align on the ice, game 1. This is magic guys, this is pixie dust. It really is. Oh gosh, I'm still just so shocked in a good way that it's happened to us as fans. For me, to give this draft anything less than the highest rating possible I just can't see it. It's fair and okay if you see it like that, but I just can't. This is a miracle guys. 34th street type stuff. This is our miracle.

Go Jets Go!

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
I liked getting Stanley the only thing I wasn't sold on was moving up with the #36 to get him.

The problem with the armchair GMing is that we are missing so much of the picture. I didn't think we'd have to move if we really wanted Stanley, but there must have been rumblings that someone must have liked him in 18-21.

Fans also really get the surface analysis of a player. We just see a few games here and there, and get the analysis of people who see a few (hopefully a lot though) more games, and talk to people who see a TON of games. The scouts and player personnel people through all the games they see, and people they talk to must have liked what they got and the truth is the Jets aren't the only team who would have made that call.

Would I liked to have seen them move up a little bit more to get Chychrun, maybe, but there was probably a reason he slid from where he started to where he ended up. Would I have liked to hold on to #36 and double down on a player like Clague for more depth, yes.

Hopefully in 2 or 3 years this is another situation like Scheifle, if not we're on the treadmill on these issues again.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
There have been some very reasonable posts made now that the aftermath of picking Stanley has settled a fair bit. Not surprising as that's how things generally go once the surprise/shock/dismay/excitement of making a move generally passes.

I remain on the side of not liking the move to make that pick. I don't hate it, I don't love it...I'm mostly just not that thrilled with trading two picks to move up one spot to grab a player that is high risk (and potentially high reward).

While some would suggest that the Jets scouting staff knows what they are likely doing (and for the most part I am very inclined to agree) I remain more in favor of having more tickets in the draw to potentially pull out a winner. The Jets are good at drafting and have a sound strategy as evidenced by past results. At the same time though they often "miss" by grabbing some kids that they really shouldn't have. We don't know the details and won't know the details. That's life and it's not exclusive to the Jets - every team has hits, every team has misses. Add to that the odds of a kid making the NHL and having a productive career (playing 200+ games) being remarkably slim.

The biggest driver though for not liking the pick is the respect I have for a number of posters here on HFJets though. Is that an echo chamber effect? Perhaps. I've only been on the boards for four years actively (and reading about two more years prior in stealth mode). But over that time I've seen a number of posters make statements/predictions about certain players and certain styles of hockey/skill sets that to my relatively uneducated eye I didn't necessarily agree with. Time however balances all things out and to say the very least, the past four years have been tremendously educational about who seems to grasp hockey skills in prospects and who is maybe just flinging stuff at the wall. I don't rate myself in the former category. I like hockey and enjoy watching it but I'm not educated enough about the subtleties and nuances to see what a lot here see. Gimme a beer and some hockey and I'll watch and enjoy. I do know enough though to cringe when Stu is on the ice (and a few other guys).

There are always exceptions that disprove the rule. Fair enough. But more often than not the odds prove the rule rather than disprove. I hope Stanley disproves the rule and becomes another Tyler Myers. I hope he does this for his sake and for the sake of the Jets and the fans. Hopefully the Jets scouts are right and the interview showed this is another kid with a Scheifele-like development trajectory. I remain skeptical largely based on the readings of people's opinions I tend to have developed trust in. I hope they are wrong and I am too. But I see this in other sports where big kids are put into places to succeed, only to fail. Some kids have big growth spurts and "lose" their coordination only to regain it after they've grown into their size. But some kids never actually had anything to lose so that they could regain it. They never had it and never will. Which one is Stanley? I don't know.

On the overall grade? I'll give them a B. They didn't mess up the Laine pick (I wasn't really convinced they would, when you've got 1A/1B picks and then 3, it makes no sense) and I think they recovered nicely later in the draft. Still wish they'd made the move for Chych or just waited it out at 22 and retained 36. But it's subjective no matter how you cut it. Go Jets Go.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Jets poster started a poll on the main board asking if Chevy was a bottom-5 GM, and led off the "yes" votes. The poll was closed for a lopsided "no" result, led by fans from other teams. Hmmmm...

Not that it matters, but aside from the occassional poster, I don't put much weight into what the fans of other teams are saying about the Jets mgmt or our players - regardless of whether or not I agree with them. Most are either entirely uninformed or have only have a peripheral perspective.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not that it matters, but aside from the occassional poster, I don't put much weight into what the fans of other teams are saying about the Jets mgmt or our players - regardless of whether or not I agree with them. Most are either entirely uninformed or have only have a peripheral perspective.

...it wasn't really a comment on the fans of other teams. Apparently the Jets boards don't provide sufficient scope for fully trashing Jets' management. :laugh:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
When you rank draft results, aren't you just ranking rankings?

Maybe Chevy gets something he can put on the fridge at home, but otherwise it means piss all until these players start playing.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
What Logan Stanley fiasco? I dont get it.

It's hard to see as a fiasco.

They wanted a player, read the situation, and knew that there was a cost attached to getting that player.

To me, that's much more active management than the Jets are usually given credit for.

As for how well they did... go back and look at the numerous 20xx re-draft threads, and tell me what year we'll know the answer to that. I know that there are statistical and comparative models that try to say what the odds of success are prior to draft day, and I'm a believer in them. However, get back to me on 2020 on this one. Let me know if it's a fiasco, right?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have to say, from what I've been hearing about Stanley post-pick, I am warming up to it. Not CRAZY about it and I still don't like that we traded up but I'm feeling a lot better about it.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I'm warming up to the pick too - in that I no longer feel that we paid a premium for the privilege of playing 7-2 offsuit. Now I feel more like we're playing 5-6 suited. If it plays out we win big over the fellows with KK and AQ.

Either way we're in the hand and haven't seen the flop yet. Lets stay in the game and see what happens.

m.

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm warming up to the pick too - in that I no longer feel that we paid a premium for the privilege of playing 7-2 offsuit. Now I feel more like we're playing 5-6 suited. If it plays out we win big over the fellows with KK and AQ.

Either way we're in the hand and haven't seen the flop yet. Lets stay in the game and see what happens.

m.

That's a little exaggerative in my opinion, on the fact you'll see around that mid first round pick the best hand you'll be dealt would be like a KJ with potential outs. Suited or not!

Stanley has the ingredients to become a great defensive defenseman. Size, speed relative to size, can move the puck well. These are all things that have been mentioned. He just needs to work on his more physical aspects of his game as well as his skating. I haven't heard much about his shot, comparables?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad