Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
I could be completely wrong on this...but I recall some NFL beat writers saying it is based on where they play each game. Should be no different for any athlete. So Ladd for example, half his salary is taxed as if he works in Winnipeg, the other half is 3/82 for Minnesota, 3/82 Chicago, 1/82 Edmonton, etc etc.

Thanks, Drumzan. Interesting to say the least. Guess the Jets players didn't really mind all the travel down to Florida during the regular season after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm kinda getting excited here. The past couple off-seasons were tense because of all the holes on the roster, we didn't have any idea what would happen. If you look at our current roster, and our RFAs, you'll realize we're pretty full already. If you give the big 3 $15 million, and Burmi $1.5, and the rest of the qualified NHL RFAs minimum raises(not likely but bear with me) including O'Dell, you get this:

Code:
My Custom Lineup

[B]FORWARDS[/B]

Andrew Ladd ($4.400m)   / Bryan Little ($5.000m)               / Blake Wheeler ($5.000m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m)                / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Eric O'Dell ($0.660m)      / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.563m)
James Wright ($0.650m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m)                 / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.762m)  / Anthony Peluso ($0.666m)

[B]DEFENSEMEN[/B]

Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m)  / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.067m)   / Zach Bogosian ($5.000m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m)       / Jacob Trouba ($1.828m)
Arturs Kulda ($0.605m)     / Zach Redmond ($0.715m)
Paul Postma ($0.605m)

[B]GOALTENDERS[/B]

Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $62,120,300
BONUSES: $1,225,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $3,404,700
Take away Scheif and Trouba, that frees up two spots (one needed for a backup) and gives us $5.57 million to play with. There are problems however:

1) We have a full roster and nobody is exempt from waivers
2) Marginal NHL players and even young prospects value are at an all time low
3) No roster space to call up Scheifele or Trouba without losing a player to waivers or trade
4) There really isn't a lot of cap space room to pick up a good #4 LHD and a good backup without trades, of which D is most likely

edit: I reposted this from last night, and I forgot to include Cormier who is now also subject to waivers. Just goes to show we have a bit of a jam of waiver eligible talent, and it's entirely possible we may lose one or two players to waivers after training camp.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm kinda getting excited here. The past couple off-seasons were tense because of all the holes on the roster, we didn't have any idea what would happen. If you look at our current roster, and our RFAs, you'll realize we're pretty full already. If you give the big 3 $15 million, and Burmi $1.5, and the rest of the qualified NHL RFAs minimum raises(not likely but bear with me) including O'Dell, you get this:

Code:
My Custom Lineup

[B]FORWARDS[/B]

Andrew Ladd ($4.400m)   / Bryan Little ($5.000m)               / Blake Wheeler ($5.000m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m)                / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Eric O'Dell ($0.660m)      / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.563m)
James Wright ($0.650m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m)                 / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.762m)  / Anthony Peluso ($0.666m)

[B]DEFENSEMEN[/B]

Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m)  / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.067m)   / Zach Bogosian ($5.000m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m)       / Jacob Trouba ($1.828m)
Arturs Kulda ($0.605m)     / Zach Redmond ($0.715m)
Paul Postma ($0.605m)

[B]GOALTENDERS[/B]

Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $62,120,300
BONUSES: $1,225,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $3,404,700
Take away Scheif and Trouba, that frees up two spots (one needed for a backup) and gives us $5.57 million to play with. There are problems however:

1) We have a full roster and nobody is exempt from waivers
2) Marginal NHL players and even young prospects value are at an all time low
3) No roster space to call up Scheifele or Trouba without losing a player to waivers or trade
4) There really isn't a lot of cap space room to pick up a good #4 LHD and a good backup without trades, of which D is most likely

edit: I reposted this from last night, and I forgot to include Cormier who is now also subject to waivers. Just goes to show we have a bit of a jam of waiver eligible talent, and it's entirely possible we may lose one or two players to waivers after training camp.

I don't know if I can handle another year of Chris Thorburn on this team anymore.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I don't know if I can handle another year of Chris Thorburn on this team anymore.

I said it a million times now: Please, please send Thorburn down Chevy. I love the guy and everything but he just takes a spot on the roster for at least a full season now.

I mean don't get me wrong, he isn't soo bad but his time with the team is clearly up. I give him that he, with Slater, are the longest still active players for this franchise and in a weird way, I feel about him very much just like I felt about Boulton in his last season with the Thrashers. He's heart and soul and can fight a guy (well.. Boulton could do that better) and block shots and sometimes toe-drag a highlight goal ;) (though Boulton could definately never do that) but he needs to be send down.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
That wasn't a for sure lineup, just something I threw together to illustrate how we have too many waiver eligible players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I agree. Especially if we end up losing someone who still has potential to waivers to keep him. I will be very upset if that happens.

Thorburn is well liked but he really accomplishes nothing on the ice. By far our worst forward.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I agree. Especially if we end up losing someone who still has potential to waivers to keep him. I will be very upset if that happens.

Thorburn is well liked but he really accomplishes nothing on the ice. By far our worst forward.

Agreed. I really like Thorbs, and his goal that he scored against Miller in 11-12 was killer, but as a fan of this team, I hope and expect the GM to not be a fan of the team. Evaluating talent required objectivity. You can't hang onto a player just because you like him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Could you imagine if we lost O`Dell to Thorburn...............

That would be very upsetting. I don't expect Jets management to be perfect, but that is a pretty dumb move.

The thing is, you also want to show loyalty to players, and not dump guys who have contracts. Especially guys that are well liked like Thorbs. It's probably a very hard decision, but from a purely hockey POV Thorburn should be gone.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Are Schiefele, Trouba, Frolik and O'Dell good enough to push us into contention for the top 8 this season?

Is Kulda staying in North America?

Kind of scary to me that our roster as currently constituted is that close to the cap, because it is likely not good enough to make the playoffs. Guess we have room to add one second-tier forward or defenceman, then we'll be right at the cap.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Are Schiefele, Trouba, Frolik and O'Dell good enough to push us into contention for the top 8 this season?

Is Kulda staying in North America?

Kind of scary to me that our roster as currently constituted is that close to the cap, because it is likely not good enough to make the playoffs. Guess we have room to add one second-tier forward or defenceman, then we'll be right at the cap.

Then someone should be fired.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg

Scary indeed! Desperately need to rid some bodies (D + Burmi +?) to make room for high quality top 6 forward!

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Scary that we are right up against the cap and not even close to a contender...... Our current players better improve by leaps and bounds in the next 2-3 years or we are screwed

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Then someone should be fired.

As much as they say that missing the playoffs is unacceptable, it seems the way the team has been built - with very low risk moves, no big UFA signings, no huge trades at the deadline or any involving core players, etc - is that they are planning on building their own team and keeping around a few key guys they like. Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Kane. These guys should all be useful 3-4 years from now when TNSE's own brand of the team is a stronger part of its identity. If they miss the playoffs along the way of this team coming together...I think mayyybe they'd let go Noel if expectations of being in the hunt aren't met. But I woudn't count on Chevy getting turfed unless we miss the playoffs 6-7 years in a row as long as we are drafting well. This could take a while. lol

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd love to make the playoffs, but I'm just so excited to see some of our young prospects play this year..... Hopefully :)

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
I am not "scared" in the least
If everyone plays to their potential this team will make the playoffs next season

I don't believe it to be acceptable to be in a position of 'should make the playoffs' sitting at a near CAP financial situation. Should work at getting more value 'team wise' for that kind of outlay. We definitely can afford to cleanup a few roster positions, including significant ones that aren't in the long range plans (D + Burmi + future pick or ?), to pickup and/trade for a quality top young forward that is more in line with the overall plan, and still be in a position of 'should make the playoffs' with more upside than where we are now with the present crew.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I don't believe it to be acceptable to be in a position of 'should make the playoffs' sitting at a near CAP financial situation. Should work at getting more value 'team wise' for that kind of outlay. We definitely can afford to cleanup a few roster positions, including significant ones that aren't in the long range plans (D + Burmi + future pick or ?), to pickup and/trade for a quality top young forward that is more in line with the overall plan, and still be in a position of 'should make the playoffs' with more upside than where we are now with the present crew.

This is allot easier said then done
Every team is in the same boat

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
As much as they say that missing the playoffs is unacceptable, it seems the way the team has been built - with very low risk moves, no big UFA signings, no huge trades at the deadline or any involving core players, etc - is that they are planning on building their own team and keeping around a few key guys they like. Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Kane. These guys should all be useful 3-4 years from now when TNSE's own brand of the team is a stronger part of its identity. If they miss the playoffs along the way of this team coming together...I think mayyybe they'd let go Noel if expectations of being in the hunt aren't met. But I woudn't count on Chevy getting turfed unless we miss the playoffs 6-7 years in a row as long as we are drafting well. This could take a while. lol

I think this is what Chevy and co are realistically trying to do. But it shouldn't take 6-7 years at all. They're knocking on the doorstep right now. It's time to push the door right on over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad