Speculation: Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Really if you look at this team objectively in order to become a playoff contender the Jets probably need to add at a minimum:
1 (preferably 2) top 6 forwards
1 3rd line forward
1 Left handed PMD
1 top 6 defensive defensemen

The saving grace here is that the Jets have a ton of financial flexibility this coming off season and they already have a lot of picks and will most likely add more before the trade deadline. With the exceptions of Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Bogo, Buff and Enstrom I think everyone else could be involved in a trade ect and we could be seeing a very different team on the ice in 2013-14

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
I'd love to see the Jets land Bishop from the Sens. He would maybe cost us a third and player from the IceCaps

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A)Pavs played a back to back, which is hard on anyone, nevermind a goalie.
B) He didn't receive a lot of help out there, but he hasn't been stellar.
C)Bernier isn't a tried and true starter yet. I would rather have him for a backup so he and Pavs can split starts, a'la Vancouver and St. Louis.

Sorry it was late and I didn't finish my thoughts, but that's exactly the situation I had in mind. Bring in Bernier to push Pavelic.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Really if you look at this team objectively in order to become a playoff contender the Jets probably need to add at a minimum:
1 (preferably 2) top 6 forwards
1 3rd line forward
1 Left handed PMD
1 top 6 defensive defensemen

The saving grace here is that the Jets have a ton of financial flexibility this coming off season and they already have a lot of picks and will most likely add more before the trade deadline. With the exceptions of Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Bogo, Buff and Enstrom I think everyone else could be involved in a trade ect and we could be seeing a very different team on the ice in 2013-14

I don't think we need to add any forwards. 14th in GF with a dysfunctional top 9 last year. We solidified our top 9 with 3 more players in the off season (Jokinen, Ponikarovsky and Scheifele, although the latter doesn't really count). To me we have 10 top 9 players, and a perfectly serviceable 3rd line. I guess there could be an argument many of our goals came from our D-line.

Our problem is strictly defense and goaltending. Our forwards are coming back to support the D like they should, so we can't really blame them. We're simply letting too many goals in.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Current 13th in the league in scoring, but 29th in GA. As with last year, though it may appear that goal scoring is a problem, it's really team defense (and not just by defensemen) and GA.

I really like what I see in Postma and Redmond - they could either A) shore up the 5/6 positions, B) act as trade bait, C) or allow for movement of other defensemen for pieces that may help round out the defensive requirements.

Bogo and Buff can't come back soon enough, and Trouba can't be ready soon enough. ;) That said, I really do think that it's important for the FW's to buy into a defensive role as well. Scheifele (at least in the OHL) has played extremely strongly defensively as a centre. I truly hope that he gets a chance to prove himself at C before he gets sent down. Glad he got some real ice time yesterday, even if the game was out of reach.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
I don't think we need to add any forwards. 14th in GF with a dysfunctional top 9 last year. We solidified our top 9 with 3 more players in the off season (Jokinen, Ponikarovsky and Scheifele, although the latter doesn't really count). To me we have 10 top 9 players, and a perfectly serviceable 3rd line. I guess there could be an argument many of our goals came from our D-line.

Our problem is strictly defense and goaltending. Our forwards are coming back to support the D like they should, so we can't really blame them. We're simply letting too many goals in.

There is no way you can look at the forward core and say it is good enough to be a contender. Poni and Anto are both UFA's and really the Jets could upgrade at both positions, add to that the fact that Olli is most likely gone after his contract is up next year and the Jets need forwards.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm not talking about a contender, I'm talking in general. To be a contender we'd need 2 new goalies and we'd keep 3 D at most. But for now getting back Bogosian and adding a solid LHD that's good on the PK to work with him would make a huge difference in this team. Far more than adding a top 6 winger.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm not talking about a contender, I'm talking in general. To be a contender we'd need 2 new goalies and we'd keep 3 D at most. But for now getting back Bogosian and adding a solid LHD that's good on the PK to work with him would make a huge difference in this team. Far more than adding a top 6 winger.

Agreed... I honestly believe that 2 years down the road could contend:

Kane - A - Wheeler
Ladd - B - Little
Poni - C - Antro
xx - Slater - xx

Enstrom - Byfuglien
D - Bogosian
Stuart - Redmond/Postma

E
Pasquale

A,B,C will eventually have two of them covered by Scheifele and Burmistrov. They both project safely into B but if one hits their ceiling we could end up with an A + B. I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but it's pretty safe to say we got at the very least B + C covered, with a small chance of A + B.
D is probably hardest to fill after A, but not impossible for ~4mil in UFA.
E needs to be a ~0.920-0.925 goalie... good luck. I haven't given up hope on Pavelec, but he needs to make the progression starting now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Current 13th in the league in scoring, but 29th in GA. As with last year, though it may appear that goal scoring is a problem, it's really team defense (and not just by defensemen) and GA.

I really like what I see in Postma and Redmond - they could either A) shore up the 5/6 positions, B) act as trade bait, C) or allow for movement of other defensemen for pieces that may help round out the defensive requirements.

Bogo and Buff can't come back soon enough, and Trouba can't be ready soon enough. ;) That said, I really do think that it's important for the FW's to buy into a defensive role as well. Scheifele (at least in the OHL) has played extremely strongly defensively as a centre. I truly hope that he gets a chance to prove himself at C before he gets sent down. Glad he got some real ice time yesterday, even if the game was out of reach.

Yeah, small sample size on Redmond, but I liked what I saw from him for sure. Postma I have liked since game 2 and both these guys could stay up afaic.

If we waived Clitsome and got Buff and Bogo back that is a major improvement to this d corps. Even with that I really think we need a good, solid top 4 defender. A guy like Stuart, but better defensively. I know how expensive those guys are though. At this point I would entertain trading Enstrom to get that guy if he was a real gem defensively (a guy like Anton Volchenkov). I know how many points Enstrom is putting up for us, and I see his value. I just think the makeup of our d especially minus Bogo and Buff is too soft, too offensive minded. The guys who don't play offensively (Redmond and Hainsey) are not really that physical. That is cool, but you need balance in your D and I don't think we have that.

Shows you just how valuable Zach Bogosian really is. A great skater and passer, very good in his zone and physical -- a guy who hasn't really mined his offensive upside? One of the most prized assets in the entire NHL.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
...A great skater and passer, very good in his zone and physical -- a guy who hasn't really mined his offensive upside? One of the most prized assets in the entire NHL.

I feel like this is exactly how you could describe Trouba. It's awesome that we have 2 of them. :nod:

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
I'm more concerned with G position. Who could we land and what would it cost us. Let's say a guy like Nabokov who could show up for 50% of our games and be a good teacher for Pavs. Any suggestions?

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone else see Burmi developing into a Ryan Kesler type? He's already so good defensively, I think he'd fit perfectly into the #2 slot as a shutdown type guy. If Scheifele develops into a true #1 C on this team we could have a nice one-two punch with these two guys.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Anyone else see Burmi developing into a Ryan Kesler type? He's already so good defensively, I think he'd fit perfectly into the #2 slot as a shutdown type guy. If Scheifele develops into a true #1 C on this team we could have a nice one-two punch with these two guys.
Agreed. I said as much above in my post about A + B.
If Scheifele and Burmistrov hit their ceilings they could turn out to be very complimentary to eachother in a solid top 6 setup... Something that we already have with Kane/Ladd and to a Wheeler/Little.

jetkarma*

Agreed... I honestly believe that 2 years down the road could contend:

Kane - A - Wheeler
Ladd - B - Little
Poni - C - Antro
xx - Slater - xx

Enstrom - Byfuglien
D - Bogosian
Stuart - Redmond/Postma

E
Pasquale

A,B,C will eventually have two of them covered by Scheifele and Burmistrov. They both project safely into B but if one hits their ceiling we could end up with an A + B. I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but it's pretty safe to say we got at the very least B + C covered, with a small chance of A + B.
D is probably hardest to fill after A, but not impossible for ~4mil in UFA.
E needs to be a ~0.920-0.925 goalie... good luck. I haven't given up hope on Pavelec, but he needs to make the progression starting now.

May I ask you when you say you can safely say we will have two of A , B and C covered by Burmistrov , do you mean safely say that Burmistrov will cover the C ?

I can not , at all , say he will safely cover B. Not at all. I also don't think he should be presumed to be a C as opposed to a W.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
May I ask you when you say you can safely say we will have two of A , B and C covered by Burmistrov , do you mean safely say that Burmistrov will cover the C ?

I can not , at all , say he will safely cover B. Not at all. I also don't think he should be presumed to be a C as opposed to a W.

We'll have to disagree here.
Most evidence points out that even his offensive game, tracks on par or above to most legitimate second liners.

Truck and I have lined him up beside many 1st and 2nd liners at the same age and/or same place in development/experience. He's done quite nicely and only the slightest production bump would place him on par currently with guys like Little and such. We have to stay mindful about how usage and icetime (like PP time) strongly affects players end scores.

jetkarma*

We'll have to disagree here.
Most evidence points out that even his offensive game, tracks on par or above to most legitimate second liners.

Truck and I have lined him up beside many 1st and 2nd liners at the same age and/or same place in development/experience. He's done quite nicely and only the slightest production bump would place him on par currently with guys like Little and such. We have to stay mindful about how usage and icetime (like PP time) strongly affects players end scores.

I know you are a "stat" guy , which is fine , I value that but not nearly as much as what I actually ( and everyone else ) sees , and how he does ( and doesn't produce ).

One point on a nice puck rag , on a shot that absolutely should have been stopped. Not exactly progression imo add this to his AHL performance and I am curious to know if when you view him , you would stand up and stump for him in a room of scouts and your management bosses? Would you believe in him enough to stick your neck out?

He has talent , physical skills ,and he is a good /very good defensive player when motivated , but what I see is a player not playing with hunger , or fierceness to create offense. He tries to play on the perimter , play smooth , and while he looks pretty ( and a lot of people are enamoured by this ) that hasn't and isn't providing production.

Would love to have him start to deliver, I look at the one period Scheifele had last night and the glaring differences are obvious at least to me. Europe and the minor leagues are full of skilled , smooth players that can't produce above the league level they are playing at.

Hoping for and counting on are different imo , I can not say I would count on him being more than a pretty good defensive third line player. Hope for? yeah I hope he could be a 2C and score 20+ goals and 60 plus or minus points , the Ryan Kessler comaprisons are not warranted , at least at this time , imo.

Prove it Burmi , it is time to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad