Salary Cap: jets expect to hit 4.6m in bonuses - theyre a cap team

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
69.4 cap hit at the end of the season if the roster remains static. 4.6m in bonuses:

75 - 69.4 - 4.6 = 1 million aav

Any trades are prorated. The jets can take on 3.3m "face value" aav now and 4.6m at the deadline if they wish to avoid a bonus overage. Any bonus overage of the cap above the upper limit spills over to the next season reducing next years limit. This can be especially dangerous when those same players get raises. Several thoughts:

1) expect Matthias to be going the other way in any trade that is for more than depth

2) expect lots of small "on paper" roster moves trying to save cap hit. They would love to send Comrie down. Any time theyre home guys get sent down.

3) how do they balance the cap with the need to do well in the playoffs?

4) any bonus overage isnt good but may be necessary. The big concern is next year. Many raises and will sign Vesalainen. Could be even more bonuses! that could cause a huge bonus overage and cause problems signing Laine and Wheeler.

Mods can contact me about the 4.6m figure.

Reactions: RRenegade and STZD

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
69.4 cap hit at the end of the season if the roster remains static. 4.6m in bonuses:

75 - 69.4 - 4.6 = 1 million aav

Any trades are prorated. The jets can take on 3.3m "face value" aav now and 4.6m at the deadline if they wish to avoid a bonus overage. Any bonus overage of the cap above the upper limit spills over to the next season reducing next years limit. This can be especially dangerous when those same players get raises. Several thoughts:

1) expect Matthias to be going the other way in any trade that is for more than depth

2) expect lots of small "on paper" roster moves trying to save cap hit. They would love to send Comrie down. Any time theyre home guys get sent down.

3) how do they balance the cap with the need to do well in the playoffs?

4) any bonus overage isnt good but may be necessary. The big concern is next year. Many raises and will sign Vesalainen. Could be even more bonuses! that could cause a huge bonus overage and cause problems signing Laine and Wheeler.

Mods can contact me about the 4.6m figure.

Laine is currently 14th among forwards in goals scored. Unless that changes he will not earn his Sked B bonus of $1.8M. That would significantly lower our ELC bonus total

27 goals is the top 10 line that he needs to achieve his bonus so he's currently 2 goals off the pace.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Who is it that expects this? Seems unlikely that nearly every single player hits their bonuses. What are Laine’s schedule ‘B’ bonuses specifically?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Who is it that expects this? Seems unlikely that nearly every single player hits their bonuses. What are Laine’s schedule ‘B’ bonuses specifically?

His Sked B bonus is all or nothing. He can achieve it if he is top 10 among forwards on one of theses statistical categories.

Goals
Assists

Last season he finished among the top 10 in goals and earned his $1.8M Sked B bonus. This year it's not a sure thing at this point. Also expect him to reach the max $850K in Sked A bonus in addition

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine is currently 14th among forwards in goals scored. Unless that changes he will not earn his Sked B bonus of $1.8M. That would significantly lower our ELC bonus total

27 goals is the top 10 line that he needs to achieve his bonus so he's currently 2 goals off the pace.

Cue conspiracy theorists "This is why isn't playing with Scheifele":sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
These are our ELC maximum bonus

Laine's 2.65M
Ehlers $850k
Connor $850K
Morrissey $500k
Roslovic $212.5K

There are others but they seem unlikely to achieve much. Poolman is the largest at $850k

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Keep in mind guys they want to play it safe and prevent any overages. im willing to bet their actions over the next while will reflect that.

A bonus overage this yesr isnt that scary. Heck we had one on Troubas first year and nobody noticed. But next season we are goong to have a bunch of things come together at the same time. It wont be 2010 Chicago bad but it could be painful.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Keep in mind guys they want to play it safe and prevent any overages. im willing to bet their actions over the next while will reflect that.

A bonus overage this yesr isnt that scary. Heck we had one on Troubas first year and nobody noticed. But next season we are goong to have a bunch of things come together at the same time. It wont be 2010 Chicago bad but it could be painful.
What actions are you referring to?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I could see Matthias getting traded in part of a playoff piece or placed on waivers towards the deadline if his injury isn't too bad.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Keep in mind that by the time the trade deadline happens the season is three quarters in the book. Trading a player away then is only saving aprx 1/4 of his cap hit. Trading Matthias now is saving just over 500k or less than the NHL minimum salary.

Just sayin'

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine is 1 goal away now to making it in the top 10 in goals.
He needs a hat trick in the next few games ( he is due ) to clear the log jam.

I understand the business side of things. But Pay the kid his money ! :) let him rip it - 24 games to go....

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
To be clear, the performance bonuses from last year hit the cap this year, and the bonuses this year hit the cap next year. Right?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
To be clear, the performance bonuses from last year hit the cap this year, and the bonuses this year hit the cap next year. Right?

That is correct. They are applied to the season they are earned in. They only impact the following season if those bonuses cause a team to exceed the cap. A penalty is then applied to the following season. It would be equal to the amount the cap ceiling is exceeded

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
In Maurice’s post game interview he stated that Blake will be a player he sees playing till he is 40, and will be in his prime in his 30s.

I take that as a very strong indicator Blake will be resigned

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
In Maurice’s post game interview he stated that Blake will be a player he sees playing till he is 40, and will be in his prime in his 30s.

I take that as a very strong indicator Blake will be resigned

Earlier on the day he said "I look after the trees. Chevy looks after the forest"

Whileee

May 29, 2010
7-8 years x $5M for Wheeler. After age 36, the cap hit won't look too bad with the rising salary cap.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
His Sked B bonus is all or nothing. He can achieve it if he is top 10 among forwards on one of theses statistical categories.

Goals
Assists

Last season he finished among the top 10 in goals and earned his $1.8M Sked B bonus. This year it's not a sure thing at this point. Also expect him to reach the max $850K in Sked A bonus in addition
Since being 1st in PP goals (or even top 10) is not a bonus criteria, you can have him on the 1st PP and have the best PP in the league without paying bonus money for it?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Since being 1st in PP goals (or even top 10) is not a bonus criteria, you can have him on the 1st PP and have the best PP in the league without paying bonus money for it?

All goals count equally so not sure what you are trying to say

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
All goals count equally so not sure what you are trying to say
What I meant was that PP goals are not a separate bonus category, and you can have Laine on the 1st PP unit all season and have him leading the league in PP goals while his goals total stays well below what it would be if he was paired with Scheif all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad