Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It would be predicated upon the Jets getting good dmen in return for him

Goalies don't return much value, and they definitely wouldn't be getting multiple NHL quality defencemen in return.

Besides, defending these days is a 5 man job, the forwards still would have to chip in.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Goalies don't return much value, and they definitely wouldn't be getting multiple NHL quality defencemen in return.

Besides, defending these days is a 5 man job, the forwards still would have to chip in.
This is true. The jets team d was abysmal during the playoffs.

Reactions: TS Quint

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Did you not listen to Chevy's presser? He said in it that Vilardi's injury (they didn't know how long he would be out at the deadline) is why he went out and got Toffoli, not Perfetti's play. Unintended consequence of that he said was that Villardi got healthy and Toffoli was in the picture already so there wasn't room in the top 6.

I know that Chevy wasn't happy during the season with Cole's usage at times but he left all of those decisions to his coach even if he didn't like them.

Yup, Murat went as far as to say Chevy is completely hands off with his coach. I'm assuming he wouldn't write that if he didn't have it on good authority. Deployment decisions sound like they are the sole discretion of the coach.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Did you not listen to Chevy's presser? He said in it that Vilardi's injury (they didn't know how long he would be out at the deadline) is why he went out and got Toffoli, not Perfetti's play. Unintended consequence of that he said was that Villardi got healthy and Toffoli was in the picture already so there wasn't room in the top 6.

I know that Chevy wasn't happy during the season with Cole's usage at times but he left all of those decisions to his coach even if he didn't like them.
Actually, I think they brought him in to play top 6 regardless of Viladi's injury - they were still building the second line and needed help and the guy that would move down would have been Iafallo.
Perfetti was playing 4th line at the time IIRC. He was not in the top 6 picture. So I doubt very much that Chevy would have brought another top 6 in if he was all for moving Perfetti into that role - doesn't make sense.
And yes, I listened to the Chevy presser -

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck's pressers are gold. He never criticizes himself, which is sometimes annoying and many will see as complete denial, but I think its precisely that mental toughness which has translated into 4 Vezina nominations. He's carried this team for YEARS. And so when he is asked if he needed to make more saves, he points to the fact that the entire team switched up on him from defensive juggernaut to the orchestra on the Titanic. .And then he points to 10 goals that were scored the exact same way in the series and the team made no adjustments. He's 100% right.

To win, we needed him to be Patrick Roy in '93. And thats asking WAY too much.

As for the rest, I really like our leadership group. Lowry, Morrissey, Connor, Hellebuyck and to a lesser extent Scheifele (his comments on offseason training could be read as a criticism to the guys who arent doing it, which is probably correct).

Sounds like Demelo is 100% re-signing, so long as we don't cheap out in negotiations. Monahan very open to staying. This sounds like Ehlers last season as a Jet unless something changes. Toffoli can't wait to GTFO of dodge, which is perfectly fine with me.
This is pretty much the way I see things playing out as well.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I really don't know what to make of Arniel. I liked him when he was the Moose coach. His one head coaching gig was for a not very good and poorly run Bluejackets team. I don't know that it was a far representation of his coaching ability.

We see guys make major strides on their second opportunities. Sullivan won a pair cups in Puttsburgh as an example.
10-2-2 record by Arniel when he was the head coach with Bowness out this season, that's pretty good, i wouldn't be against Arniel getting a shot .

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And another, and another, and another. Every year there’s an excuse for Chevy and we’re stuck with another year of mediocrity.
We didn't remotely have a mediocre regular season though, 4th in the entire league with the most regulation wins . I think Bowness was out coached in the playoffs unfortunately and would like to see how we would do with a new coach. This would be Chevy's last chance though.

Reactions: surixon and Buffdog

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I find it amusing that everyone assumes Villardi will be first line. He was rotten down the stretch, and in the playoffs. If there is a new coach there is a good chance he won't be on the first line. Outside of being good on the PP for a stretch, 5 on 5 he was actually bad for most of the year. The need to "win" the trade with LA (which is what made the team force that all year) and the need to ensure Villardi gets opportunity, will have worn off by next year for everyone.

He is 25 years old and he has a career high of 41 points in a season and has a career ppg of .57.

He is what he is at this point.
We are still a better team after the Dubois trade, just go read the LA board right now. :laugh: I would like to see what Vilardi could do if he actually played a entire season injury free.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I find it amusing that everyone assumes Villardi will be first line. He was rotten down the stretch, and in the playoffs. If there is a new coach there is a good chance he won't be on the first line. Outside of being good on the PP for a stretch, 5 on 5 he was actually bad for most of the year. The need to "win" the trade with LA (which is what made the team force that all year) and the need to ensure Villardi gets opportunity, will have worn off by next year for everyone.

He is 25 years old and he has a career high of 41 points in a season and has a career ppg of .57.

He is what he is at this point.

Vilardi was excellent at times but also had stretches where he was MIA. I'm not sure how the injuries impacted his play this past year.

I do agree that his defensive play wasn't nearly as good as it was in LA and he was more play finisher then play driver. He probably will need to play with a driver to get the most out of him.

Still he scores goals in a way that no one else in the top 6 does so he has value as a big net front scorer.

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Vilardi was excellent at times but also had stretches where he was MIA. I'm not sure how the injuries impacted his play this past year.

I do agree that his defensive play wasn't nearly as good as it was in LA and he was more play finisher then play driver. He probably will need to play with a driver to get the most out of him.

Still he scores goals in a way that no one else in the top 6 does so he has value as a big net front scorer.
Ya i was hoping for a little more from Iafallo and Kupari , i think we can fill what Iafallo brings way cheaper and Kupari is still relatively young so maybe we see more out of him next season.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
10-2-2 record by Arniel when he was the head coach with Bowness out this season, that's pretty good, i wouldn't be against Arniel getting a shot .
Do you want Lauer back if Arniel becomes HC?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
A few thoughts about the media interviews, with random additional editorial comments:

Chevy-I thought this was one of his better interviews. He has done a good job dealing away unhappy players, but has made his share of mistakes and has some major challenges ahead. He needs a better 1C if he's going to win big in the playoffs and another puck-moving D. The opportunity cost of keeping Stanley has been significant.

Bones-He was dignified and restrained, likely because he knows he is retiring and wants to leave on good terms with everyone.

Lowry and Morrissey-I consider them co-captains and they showed why. Along with Helle they are the core.

Scheifele-He is not very--umm--cerebral and not a natural leader, so I would not judge his interview too harshly. He is probably fine as a 2C or 1RW but we won't win a SC with him as a 1C.

Connor-OK interview. Gifted scorer, but it's not clear to me that he will stay with this team long-term. Chevy needs to keep an eye on this next season.

Tofolli and Monahan--gone and likely gone. Monahan is the better of the 2, but will likely get more than he is worth as a UFA.

DeMelo-Great guy, wants to be here and is our only reliable RD. Re-sign him, please, unless he asks for the moon.

Dillon-he outperformed my expectations and is a great leader on and off the ice, but not sure we can afford him. Also, we need to give Samberg and/or Ville opportunities as 2LD. And Chisholm....oops, nvm...

Schmidt gave a good interview, but is a very expensive third pair D. Pionk was quiet and is a liability for another year. I would not be surprised to see the team take a step back next year if they can't be traded or bought out.

Helle--His interview was hilarious and I've gotten used to the bravado--it's his secret sauce to keep his confidence up. He is top 5 in the world at his position and I don't believe that this playoff loss was on him. He just didn't win it for us alone. Short sample sizes for goalies are not predictive--people who study the game know that.

Ehlers-Sounded like he is gone, but I suppose anything is possible. I just don't understand the under-utilization of a player with his net positive impact on team scoring and goal differential. It's the hockey equivalent of constructive dismissal and is one of many puzzling utilization decisions that, frankly, has made it hard for me to cheer for the team.

Relatedly, I notice some long-time Jets HF posters have been very quiet the last few days. I respect the restraint and probably should be following that strategy myself. There is still lots of work to do in Jetsland. Winning back the fans, getting new coaches and giving opportunity to young (and veteran) players based on merit would be a good start, but, to bring it back to the guy with the most work to do in the off-season, it's a process....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The excitement of the PLD trade turned into the hey we got rid of PLD trade. We don't know what we have in Kupari, we know what A I brings and it's not much and Vilardi needs to stay healthy. Maybe the pick turns out to be the best of the return.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Sure looks like Bowness is back next year - hopefully something unlocks the Connor-Scheif mystery and the team finally moves on from Pionk... if not, the season will just repeat itself
It won't repeat itself because we won't have pages of posts demanding a rebuild because they thought it was a middling team (at best). Bones proved all those people wrong. Now many othose people want to fire him because he put up a 110 point season and the playoffs didn't go well.

There is no mystery to Connor/Scheifele. Who scored in the playoffs? Not the fake stats God. I'm not against a change up in lines when needed but CSV is a good line.

Whiners gonna whine.

Bones is turning a big boat around. It's heading in the right direction but it doesn't just flip 180 degrees at the snap of the fingers.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
It makes complete sense, for him, for the team for everyone. If they can get the D for him. He's fantastically talented and a super guy, but in some ways he's like an elite Burmistrov and maybe just a little too hard to fit into a team that needs to be all on one page. I'd like to see him get his minutes somewhere that really needs him.

Yeah I think it’s the likely piece to be moved. And I’m assuming a good defensemen is likely what Chevy will look for. I don’t know what an Ehlers return could look like. We saw what a signed PLD got us back, not apples to apples here though as PLD was perceived as a top-6 C at the time (which is more valuable). But I think there is maybe a young D with potential that we could try to get. Maybe on an ELC or an RFA who won’t cost too much right now (kind of like Vilardi). What this does is it addresses a lot of things:

- It gets us potentially a key player on defence (our D needs to be improved, as there is a significant drop-off after Morrissey, with all due respect to DeMelo & Dillon)

- It presumably frees up cap space by moving Ehlers (assuming the D coming back is on an ELC/cheaper contract as a younger player). This makes the re-signing of the Monahan/DeMelo/Dillon trio (as opposed to just two of the three) more realistic.

- Assuming Toffoli walks into free agency (I strongly believe both the Jets & TT are fine with this), this opens up two spots in the top-6 (if Monahan stays) and finally ensure Perfetti his top-6 role and further opens the door for another player (likely Lambert, although there are others that can compete too I suppose) to get a chance too. And we know the likely plan is to have Mgroarty join us in 2025-26, so extending Ehlers beyond next season (as opposed to trading him now w/ a year left) makes little sense.

As an aside, it’ll be interesting to see what we do w/ KFC next offseason — I think this will largely depend on how Lambert, Perfetti, Barlow (Barlow likely w/ Moose), and others are performing (no rush on that until next offseason).

I can see a path to remaining competitive and even improving our roster while also clearing the way for our younger players to take on a bigger role and taking steps forward.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm not as concerned about Cole under Bones next year. I think he passed the "how a young player needs to he a pro or whatever" gauntlet Bones put him through. I actually expect he'll now be in the Bones good books much like how Hintz and Robertson where after going through the same in Dallas.

My concern is more with the Moose guys. None of them saw a meaningful amount of time with the big team this past year and imo that likely won't change next year with him. Ville likely gets a long look juat due to waivers, but I expect he gets the in and out of the lineup young player treatment.

I'll have to listen later but definitely doesn't sound like it.
Blaming Bones for young players not being handed roster spots is pretty wild. Look at the contracts the Jets have. They have a development plan for prospects as a management team. It's a long term plan that doesn't involve the short cuts like Lambert was previously taking that was destroying his career.

The Jets are trying to win. Not develop prospects in the NHL.

People who think Bones just randomly hates young players are completely out to lunch. You see Bones talking to Perfetti in practice. You hear guys like Beiska talk about how Bones would talk directly with him about what he is specifically doing wrong even when the results are good.

This isn't a Maurice situation where "Blake" was being held above all players and fans. Bones has a team first mentality. He constantly talks about how the team needs to play. How the lines need to play the same. You can see it with the way players talk now. They know the expectation. There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity. Young players will get their time when it's time and they earn it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad