Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Blues | Thurs, Oct 4th, 7PM CT | TSN | Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We can disagree on the player but we shouldn’t disagree on facts... which I was correcting you on.

1/3 coaches and 3/3 gms liked Dano
You can't be traded twice by the time you are 22 and say the gm's and the coaches think you are a keeper. And especially traded for a rental.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You can't be traded twice by the time you are 22 and say the gm's and the coaches think you are a keeper. And especially traded for a rental.

No player is "a keeper". Every player has a price, so let's not move those goal posts.

As to Dano, maybe it's different since I know some of the insides to the Jets trading Andrew Ladd... that the Jets started the bid high with Teravainen but were aiming for Dano. But, in the end, you *don't* know if a GM moves a player because they don't like them or it's an unfortunate necessity or it's that their coach disagrees and won't use them as you wish or simply you have to lose value to gain value.

We *do* know that a GM who trades for covets the player.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hopefully none, which means Roslovic is killing it and all are healthy.

I sort of assume regardless of how well or healthy we are that some type of addition would be made as insurance for the playoffs. Maybe not something as splashy as Stastny but something. If we're in the position to go for it... we will go for it (to a degree).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No player is "a keeper". Every player has a price, so let's not move those goal posts.

As to Dano, maybe it's different since I know some of the insides to the Jets trading Andrew Ladd... that the Jets started the bid high with Teravainen but were aiming for Dano. But, in the end, you *don't* know if a GM moves a player because they don't like them or it's an unfortunate necessity or it's that their coach disagrees and won't use them as you wish or simply you have to lose value to gain value.

We *do* know that a GM who trades for covets the player.
Agreed. I would bet that Chevy still sees potential in Dano. It's a competitive environment, but he's given himself a better chance of carving out a role by coming in good shape and maintaining a positive attitude.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agreed. I would bet that Chevy still sees potential in Dano. It's a competitive environment, but he's given himself a better chance of carving out a role by coming in good shape and maintaining a positive attitude.
Dano for the limited amount of time he plays, usually finds ways to score and contribute.
He’s an awesome agitator and draws a lot of retaliatory calls or at least it seems that way to me.

Reactions: Board Bard

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What Center not on the trade deadline board will Chevy scoop up this Feb?

None.

I think Maurice is comfortable with a centre depth of

1. Scheifele
2. Little
3. Lowry
4. Roslovic
5. Copp
6. Petan
7. Griffith
8. Suess

A rental LD seems like more of a probability. If Niku doesn't make strides defensively. And Morrow, Kulikov/Chiarot can't give 30 minutes of strong defense combined.

Micheal Ferland would be a good deadline acquisition too, RH RW depth. Playoff grind type.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
None.

I think Maurice is comfortable with a centre depth of

1. Scheifele
2. Little
3. Lowry
4. Roslovic
5. Copp
6. Petan
7. Griffith
8. Suess

A rental LD seems like more of a probability. If Niku doesn't make strides defensively. And Morrow, Kulikov/Chiarot can't give 30 minutes of strong defense combined.

Micheal Ferland would be a good deadline acquisition too, RH RW depth. Playoff grind type.

I'd have to disagree with this.
If the Jets can add a 2C I think they do.
It protects against injuries and increases the chances of making it through the meat grinder that the NHL playoffs are.

Your list can end at Copp. I don't see the club being really comfortable with Petan or AHL centers in the lineup when things count for real. (Assuming those players don't make big strides)

The Preds and other WC teams will be loading up. Unless the Jets are some how bullying the league in a way that we can't expect then Chevy would be very likely in the market to add.

You are right there are other areas that could be beefed up but since centers like Little and Roslovic can play wing as well adding a center gives the team a ton of flexibility.

I'm not saying they will add just to add but if they can find a player they think will fit the team then I can see them expending what should be a very late 1st round pick.

Or maybe they look to add depth to the TLC line and in that case maybe they can add a good responsible vet for a 2nd or something.

Anyways the Jets have to be well entrenched in a playoff spot before this is considered anyways. Let's win some games in October / November before we worry about the spring.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Daang we don’t have a pregame thread. Can’t I just hang out with you guys?

Hockey is serious business and there is no time to play around. Maybe that's why the Jets beat the blues nearly half the time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Yup. This is what good teams are... good players who can produce higher up on other teams being caught in the depth charts.

And no team is perfect or could be perfect, so sometimes someone gets overused or underused, but a 5 GAR player sitting for a 3-4 is different than for a negative player.

And we will soon see what we saw with the Chicago Blackhaws, constantly trying to stay relevant by shedding their good mid-tier-to-depth players to other teams, often to fill bigger roles on those other teams: Ladd, Byfuglien, Sharp, Campbell, Versteeg, Dano, Teravainen, Panik, Shaw, Panarin/Saad, Leddy, Bollig, Pirri, Bolland, Frolik, Brouwer, etc...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This is it!!

Hahahaha

Season is about to start.

The best talent of Jets team ever assembled top to bottom :) in the NHL.

Hope this is the year.
Better be!!!

Go Jets Go

Reactions: GNP

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
Stuart had the Jets score 6 goals scored while he was on the PK.
To give an idea, that’s almost a standard deviation in EV goal differential. It’s huge.

And he didn’t perform well by any metric, goals or Corsi, on the penalty kill. It just doesn’t matter because the goals against on the PK don’t count.

Au contraire, mon frère. I seem to recall him leading in pucks-deflected-into-your-own-net/60. It may not be the most well-known stat, but it is very telling.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We seem obsessed with debating Ehlers vs Connor. Let’s just be glad we have first line talent on our “4th” line. Injuries will come and all of these guys will play with a lot of different line mates before it’s all said and done. No more 2nd line Thorbs!!!
Actually I really like the idea of Ehlers playing with Rosie. It helps Rosie use his speed and play at a fast pace and it allows Ehlers to be the trigger-man on a line. KV IMO is in a real nice spot with these 2 playing further down the lineup. I expect this line to be a major contributor on the score board especially with 3rd and 4th line matchups.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I really think Blues are going to have a good season

I don't think the Blues even make the playoffs. They lost their # 2 center in Stastny, and what big improvements have they made this season ?? I think they'll do about the same as last year. They will be good, but not good enough.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Actually I really like the idea of Ehlers playing with Rosie. It helps Rosie use his speed and play at a fast pace and it allows Ehlers to be the trigger-man on a line. KV IMO is in a real nice spot with these 2 playing further down the lineup. I expect this line to be a major contributor on the score board especially with 3rd and 4th line matchups.

I agree with Bogo here, and it will be very interesting to see Ehlers play with guys with some speed. I don't think Laine and Little could keep up with Nik. I'd love to see Lemieux on that line as well--apparently he clocked in one of the fastest times in the Jet's speed competitions. I'd also like to see a little "protection" for Ehlers and Roslo, and Lemieux is a tough customer. We don't need teams trying to rough up and intimidate our talent guys.

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

Ares

May 8, 2018

Indeed it does!

GreenRecentEastsiberianlaika-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad