Post-Game Talk: Jets 7 - Avs 6, Jets lead series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
So I'm super late to the party here, but I figured I'd post anyways.

White Out Street Party was jumpin', so many great fans, loved all of the costumes. Weather was amazing. I probably won't go again until a later round, but it was definitely still a cool experience and was electric like 2018.

They flyover of the F-18s was pretty great, and they had fireworks every time the Jets scored... which was a lot.

As for the game? Couldn't have asked for a more exciting experience. The arena looked insane, I bet it was loud as f***. Chef tying it up at 3 near the end of 1, he looked like a man on a mission. Sooo many goals, Lowry beasting, everything was wild to start the playoffs.

I don't think we're gonna see the game played that loose again this series, I expect the Jets to tighten up and play more of their game tomorrow. Obviously MacK and the Avs are beasts, you can't let them dominate like that and expect to win most nights. However, they gave their all and we still hung with them and outscored them. Not a masterpiece, but God damn that was exciting as f***.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Do you guys think if we didn't do the white out we could have won by more goals?

Oddly enough i do wonder if the crazy crowd energy got them kind of too pumped up. Hoping for a calmer approach to tomorrow's game..

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Love this analysis!

In your view, did the Jets change their breakout substantially from the 7-0 game at the end of the year? My recollection of that game was that the Avs had an aggressive forecheck but the Jets were able to move the puck fast, leading to easy exits and entries.

I only watched bits and pieces of that game and the Jets were playing so fast in that game and Colorado was so off that it was hard for me to take much from it.

I expect Boness to make some adjustments next game and I think the Jets will be sharper. My only fear is that with how leaky the Av’s were can we get our stars to play Bones stifling system. I am sure last night was a blast for our 1st line.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
With Toffoli, bones knows exactly what he's gonna get. A slowish, one dimensional goal scorer who will be in the right spot and manage the puck well.

With Cole, we're all assuming that we're gonna get the Cole of recent play and not the "oh-fer 23" Cole. The problem is that there's no guarantee of that. Playoff hockey is more intense and physical than games in February (not to mention more pressure). Nobody knows how Cole will fare

And before anyone roasts me, I'm a big Cole fan. I just happen to see where Bones is coming from on this one
Yeah agreed. Bones is afraid of the bad turnover from an inexperienced player, and also of having to switch Ehlers to the off wing as well.

Gus is no top six but he has been very solid in his role and can take draws well.

With how Iafallo played game one it's hard not to think he would be the one going right back up to top six in case of injury and not Cole. Even without Barron back.

This team is so solid defensively and the Avs are so run and gun I can't hate on having our depth filled with guys that cam play the grinder role well

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I only watched bits and pieces of that game and the Jets were playing so fast in that game and Colorado was so off that it was hard for me to take much from it.

I expect Boness to make some adjustments next game and I think the Jets will be sharper. My only fear is that with how leaky the Av’s were can we get our stars to play Bones stifling system. I am sure last night was a blast for our 1st line.
As long as the 1st line adapts to the situation. At home with Lowry’s line hard matched on MacKinnion you want line # 1 to push offense especially in a run and gun affair and they won their matchup last night. On the road it will be very different with top lines likely matched head to head. That is when we will need them to prove they can play 200 feet when needed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Toffoli, bones knows exactly what he's gonna get. A slowish, one dimensional goal scorer who will be in the right spot and manage the puck well.

With Cole, we're all assuming that we're gonna get the Cole of recent play and not the "oh-fer 23" Cole. The problem is that there's no guarantee of that. Playoff hockey is more intense and physical than games in February (not to mention more pressure). Nobody knows how Cole will fare

And before anyone roasts me, I'm a big Cole fan. I just happen to see where Bones is coming from on this one

Hence why I said Bones won't do it. He'll go with the perceived safer option.

But if we are going to use that type of logic with Cole then we could with many other players. For instance Ehlers has 12 points in 30 something playoff games including 0 goals in his first 21 playoff games. We have no clue what he'll do production wise for us once the regular season stops, yet he's going to stay in. I'm not advocating taking him out, just highlighting a point to say that I find it poor reasoning to keep someone out.

Also until you play a player in the postseason you don't know what you'll get. I mean what's the plan here. If Cole is a perceived member of this core in the future are we never going to allow him to play playoff hockey due to some perceived fears of turnovers/inexperience. Sometimes I think experience gets vastly overrated. So many young teams have won since the cap.

I go back to Scheifele. He got his lunch handed to him by Anaheim in his first go around. Is he able to make that run in 18 without learning what it takes?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Hence why I said Bones won't do it. He'll go with the perceived safer option.

But if we are going to use that type of logic with Cole then we could with many other players. For instance Ehlers has 12 points in 30 something playoff games including 0 goals in his first 21 playoff games. We have no clue what he'll do production wise for us once the regular season stops, yet he's going to stay in. I'm not advocating taking him out, just highlighting a point to say that I find it poor reasoning to keep someone out.

Also until you play a player in the postseason you don't know what you'll get. I mean what's the plan here. If Cole is a perceived member of this core in the future are we never going to allow him to play playoff hockey due to some perceived fears of turnovers/inexperience. Sometimes I think experience gets vastly overrated. So many young teams have won since the cap.

I go back to Scheifele. He got his lunch handed to him by Anaheim in his first go around. Is he able to make that run in 18 without learning what it takes?
Schief and Ehlers had established themselves as consistent performers prior to their playoff debuts. Ehlers point totals in his first three seasons leading into his playoff debut were 38 (as a 19 year old rookie), 64 and 62.

If Cole had produced like that the past two seasons, he'd be in the line up too

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Schief and Ehlers had established themselves as consistent performers prior to their playoff debuts. Ehlers point totals in his first three seasons leading into his playoff debut were 38 (as a 19 year old rookie), 64 and 62.

If Cole had produced like that the past two seasons, he'd be in the line up too

Scheifele had not. His production was very similar to Cole's. But the team was in a very different place then and could gift him 18 minutes a game.

Reactions: Buffdog

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele had not. His production was very similar to Cole's. But the team was in a very different place then and could gift him 18 minutes a game.
We all know you are a huge Perfetti fan and if Bones gave me a phone call I’d say put him in. Saying that discussions of player opportunities at different points in our history are pretty much irrelevant. We are far deeper at forward then we have ever been. Perfetti has to be a better option now not what might have happened a decade ago with a team with far less forward depth.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We all know you are a huge Perfetti fan and if Bones gave me a phone call I’d say put him in. Saying that discussions of player opportunities at different points in our history are pretty much irrelevant. We are far deeper at forward then we have ever been. Perfetti has to be a better option now not what might have happened a decade ago with a team with far less forward depth.

I mean, I think I agreed with you by when I said we were in a much different spot. The poster I was referring to said Mark was much more proven when he made his playoff debut. I was just refuting that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I mean, I think I agreed with you by when I said we were in a much different spot. The poster I was referring to said Mark was much more proven when he made his playoff debut. I was just refuting that.
Yeah it is hard keeping up with all parts of a thread. But I do agree that Perfetti adds more than Gus, though Gus does all that he can with less skill. I really wish I could read Bones mind on Perfetti as there is something in his game he has a lot of reservations on.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah it is hard keeping up with all parts of a thread. But I do agree that Perfetti adds more than Gus, though Gus does all that he can with less skill. I really wish I could read Bones mind on Perfetti as there is something in his game he has a lot of reservations on.

I just think he has a bias for what players need to be like for depth roles much like Maurice. That and he is more risk adverse then Moe so he'll be even more set on vets.

Anyhow, we won game one but will need more from almost everyone to win another 3.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So I'm super late to the party here, but I figured I'd post anyways.

White Out Street Party was jumpin', so many great fans, loved all of the costumes. Weather was amazing. I probably won't go again until a later round, but it was definitely still a cool experience and was electric like 2018.

They flyover of the F-18s was pretty great, and they had fireworks every time the Jets scored... which was a lot.

As for the game? Couldn't have asked for a more exciting experience. The arena looked insane, I bet it was loud as f***. Chef tying it up at 3 near the end of 1, he looked like a man on a mission. Sooo many goals, Lowry beasting, everything was wild to start the playoffs.

I don't think we're gonna see the game played that loose again this series, I expect the Jets to tighten up and play more of their game tomorrow. Obviously MacK and the Avs are beasts, you can't let them dominate like that and expect to win most nights. However, they gave their all and we still hung with them and outscored them. Not a masterpiece, but God damn that was exciting as f***.

Looking forward to tomorrow.
I think it was AF AF!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think it's pretty obvious what he doesn't like
Better way of putting it might be what he prefers - on the 4th line.
Bones wants his forth to be fast, high energy, and physical to an extent - and that's why it's built the way it is.
Cole is none of those things - his skill set is more in line with what you would build into your top 6 - and unfortunately, there is no vacancy up there.
We are deep for a change - unfortunate for Cole, but great for the team - and his time will come.

Reactions: Mooche

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I’m trying to just enjoy the ride, but I fear if we go run and gun, Bones is going to disregard our wonderful depth and wear out our top guys.

…. Ok back to enjoying the ride.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's pretty obvious what he doesn't like
Better way of putting it might be what he prefers - on the 4th line.
Bones wants his forth to be fast, high energy, and physical to an extent - and that's why it's built the way it is.
Cole is none of those things - his skill set is more in line with what you would build into your top 6 - and unfortunately, there is no vacancy up there.
We are deep for a change - unfortunate for Cole, but great for the team - and his time will come.
I don’t want to get into the discussion right now but my feeling is there is something deeper than just the surface answer that his style doesn’t fit with the 4th line.

Reactions: Bigfish

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don’t want to get into the discussion right now but my feeling is there is something deeper than just the surface answer that his style doesn’t fit with the 4th line.
He lost his spot because he wasn't producing and now a veteran is in his place. Almost all coaches will take a vet, especially in the playoffs, over a rookie.
I think he's playing Gustafsson because he is good on the dot and quite good defensively.
Line configurations by the head coach is one of the most common things fans bitch about no matter what city it is.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maybe - and I respect that fact that you don't want to get into it - so no need to reply
But sometimes the simple answer is the right answer.
I don't think this is complicated - we have a vet coach that has made it very clear in what he wants -
He wants guys that can motor and make life difficult for apposing teams - he wants this from all of them and he absolutely insists on that game style from his bottom of the lineup guys.
Nothing complicated - just wear them down, keep them hemmed in, and win those dzone face offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad