Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Devils 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm normally one to lurk but I have to pitch in after reading several pages of this stuff - why is it such a big deal if someone posts a tweet in the thread? Obviously several people have chimed in that they like having the commentary to read and it takes literally 0.5 seconds to scroll past it.

I normally scroll past the Chief commentary but I'll be making a point to make sure it's posted in every PGT until the end of the season now.

Last edited:

Been around

Jul 16, 2022
Interesting. What you ACTUALLY originally said was:

See, what you originally said, and I will paraphrase for clarity, is that you have no use for advanced stats for:

1. Evaluating it in the context of a single game; AND
2. Whether or not the Jets won

Maybe you just don’t understand what the word “and” is used for. It’s a conjunction. If you’re still not sure, someone could substitute the phrase “in addition to” for “and”.

I certainly did quote you properly. I just dismissed the stuff after “and” as inconsequential to the first phrase.

What I find amusing is that you told me to “get it right” when I quote you and yet, your paraphrasing of your own quote was incorrect.

LOL.

Anyways, chalk another one up for Guffman!
Exactly...

Ffs

Been around

Jul 16, 2022
Oh and guff not to be a stickler here but I don't like the tank crap posted in a race to the playoffs..imo it should go in the tank thread...its a race TO the playoffs for our team...not a race from the playoffs again imo

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Here's the thing with wpg chief's stats... post the numbers, leave out the commentary. Let the numbers be the numbers and let people draw their own conclusions from that (especially if they watched the game themselves so they can include their eye test)

When he says "so and so line got caved" based on numbers alone, it's bullshit

The "win o meter" is also bullshit. Stats without context.

Nobody here has problems with the stats. It's the drawing of conclusions based on the stats alone that I personally have issue with

Reactions: Jet and Been around

Been around

Jul 16, 2022
Here's the thing with wpg chief's stats... post the numbers, leave out the commentary. Let the numbers be the numbers and let people draw their own conclusions from that (especially if they watched the game themselves so they can include their eye test)

When he says "so and so line got caved" based on numbers alone, it's bullshit

The "win o meter" is also bullshit. Stats without context.

Nobody here has problems with the stats. It's the drawing of conclusions based on the stats alone that I personally have issue with
Exactly

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I find it funny all this arguing over stats which in this case were so wrong and proved they are BS.
There's only one stat that matters ... the team with the most goals ALWAYS wins! That stat is never wrong.
Just curious how the stat tracking scored the play where the Jets were winning1-0 ... Wheeler made a terrible turnover and the Devils were going to go on a 3 on 1 break but Lowery made a great play and checked the player. The loose puck was picked up by trailing Wheeler and the Jets went the other way and scored. Wheeler who make the mistake got an assist and Lowery who prevent the Devils from perhaps tying the game got no credit on the scoresheet.
Seriously who really cares about all these fancy stats other than the guy who gets paid to keep stats.
I just finished watching a game where the team won 6-1 and somebody is trying to tell me they should have lost ... ouch :huh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Interesting. What you ACTUALLY originally said was:

See, what you originally said, and I will paraphrase for clarity, is that you have no use for advanced stats for:

1. Evaluating it in the context of a single game; AND
2. Whether or not the Jets won

Maybe you just don’t understand what the word “and” is used for. It’s a conjunction. If you’re still not sure, someone could substitute the phrase “in addition to” for “and”.

I certainly did quote you properly. I just dismissed the stuff after “and” as inconsequential to the first phrase.

What I find amusing is that you told me to “get it right” when I quote you and yet, your paraphrasing of your own quote was incorrect.

LOL.

Anyways, chalk another one up for Guffman!
:laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Stats are an enjoyable read to me but nothing more.
I enjoy the commentary too.
I was curious and went to Wpg Chiefs Twitter ( I don’t have myself ) and found that while I really enjoy the content there are some comments that are a bit hyperbolic but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
I would follow him if I were normally on Twitter thankfully I am not.
Hockey is too random and chaotic to hang your hat on statistics, that’s why that deserve to win meter is more amusing than anything.
Ever notice how many times it’s wrong?

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Most people are idiots who don't know wtf they're talking about. I know I am. Therefore I value having my subjective impressions challenged by objective information. It's healthy to recognize that things might not be exactly what they seem to be and that there could be a story happening under the obvious surface that is really significant. If a careful analysis of the actual outcomes of games indicates for instance that big bodies who throw a lot of hits don't actually contribute to winning games, then I think that's really interesting and valuable information. I view the win-o-meter type of thing as a big picture thing rather than an individual game thing. Teams that are constantly winning games that they "probably should have lost" are likely not playing sustainable hockey. Does that mean they won't win the cup this year? No...maybe not. But, it might also help to explain how a team that was running at the top of standings for half a season all of a sudden goes into the crapper for 30 games. shrug.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hockey is too random and chaotic to hang your hat on statistics, that’s why that deserve to win meter is more amusing than anything.
Ever notice how many times it’s wrong?

Afaic that randomness and chaos makes analytics even more important in Hockey than in other sports that are less chaotic. If every other team in the game has a 49.6 to 50.4 percent chance of winning and I can find a way to give my team a 51.6 percent chance of winning, that's a huge advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad