Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Canucks 2

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Was curious whether you were a Canucks fan or not. Now I'm curious as to why you're seemingly more of a Jets fan than a Nucks fan? And will you revert should you go home?

As to the weather I'm guessing we don't print it in brochures, but I believe July is the only month in the calendar in which snow has not been recorded as falling in Winnipeg, from a historical perspective. Generally don't plant your garden until the May long weekend due to frost.

The probable driving force between later snows occurring is how many in Winnipeg took their snow tires off before it was actually sensible to do so (myself included). If it was a majority, we will get snow. The mild winter lulled us all into a false sense of security. You're excused, we should have known better. In my own defense I did leave the snowbrush in the car so I played it better than most.
I was a big Canucks fan. Not as big as my dad and my baby sister, but I loved watching hockey. I'm a Jets fan because I've lived in Winnipeg for the past 2 years. At the risk of interrupting the exciting discussions here about Perfetti, let me explain.

I got permission to spend a few months in Europe after my B.A., mostly because my older sister did it. All that got scrapped by Covid and I basically spent the next 2 years sitting at home, planning for grad school but never quite getting around to it. "Wasting your life," as mom often reminded me. When the BF moved to Winnipeg to advance his career in accounting, I applied to UofM and got accepted. I moved in with him and initially felt homesick. His advice was to embrace our new city, especially the sports teams, so I became a Jets fan. And after earlier lukewarm dabbling in HFCanucks, I found HFJets and thought it was fabulous.

Will I revert when I go home? First off, home is now Winnipeg, even though the accountant and I ran our course and drifted apart (and he threw me out due to a misunderstanding). Second, I'm applying for jobs in every province across the country (well, not P.E.I. yet) and when someone finally hires me, that will be my home. (I'd be foxing grateful right now just to get an interview.) Third, if I do have to relocate, I'll become a fan of the team in that city. It's really the only sensible way to live, but the Jets will always have a special place in my heart.

I've set a sort of arbitrary deadline of July 31 based on rental leasing and my roommate's needs, before I start thinking about moving back to Vancouver with my tail between my legs. And if you know anything about cats and how they carry their tails, you'll know how pathetic that will look.

Now, let's get back to how many goals Perfetti could have scored if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets are effing awesome!

Thanks @macmaroon for the award in the GDT, you made my evening sir. Also big up everyone who has contributed to the boards this season. I'm glad I signed on and have enjoyed interacting with and learning from many of you. I might be bias but after snooping through other teams sections, I really believe the Jets community is the best around. Brilliant folks in here.

I'm ready for the playoffs ya'll. Fired up and dreaming of a Cup. Let's see what happens but I truly believe in something special happening this summer.

In lieu of a mashup, I'd like to pay tribute to coach Bones. Might not be a perfect coach (although has there ever been one?) but he's done a pretty damn good job when you look at how the table rests after 82. Would love for him to finally get a ring after a lifetime dedicated to the game of hockey.

For those of you who know this song and enjoy it, a lyric sheet has been provided so you can sing along at home. Inspired by the man at the helm. Bring on The Avalanche.

He wakes up early every morning
Just to coach his player's now
Because he cares ya'll

His day, oh wouldn't be right
Without a shake up
Lines gotta have a shake up

He's just like you and me
But he's Bowness. He's Bowness.

As he stands there, gritting his molars
----------
In my sleep I see him coaching
Preaching.. D
Cole is scratched from time to time
I ask Bones why? Bones why?

He's just like you and me
But he's Bowness. He's Bowness.

As he stands there, gritting his molars

RE: Coach Bones - He has produced, pure and simple. Some of his lineup decisions make my eyes bleed. :laugh: But either his choices are better than those I think he should be making or he is achieving success in spite of being less than perfect. It doesn't matter which.

He almost achieved something special last year with basically the same roster that PoMo couldn't work with at all. This year, with a deeper roster he has approximately matched the 2018 season that had a stronger roster to work with. (2018 we were 3 pts shy of the Presidents Trophy winner. This year we are 4 pts behind. That's close enough to call it a match in my mind.)

Don't know whether we will match the '18 PO or not. We might exceed that year, or not.

I will continue to question some of his choices, but I certainly don't want to see him fired. He is the best coach we have had - and that might include Jets 1.0.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We don't, but Bones has pretty much tipped his hand for what he prefers. But if Barron can't go then they pretty much have to play him. Putting Gus in over him would poison the well I think.

If Gus would poison the well, what would Kupari do?

Assuming we are healthy should we play Cole on the 4th line? Or is he genuinely unsuited to that role? Barron - Names - Perfetti is a 4th line that should win its matchups by a wider margin than the same line with Gus or Kup instead of Perfetti. IMO But will Bones see it that way? Will he prefer more speed or more size?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed but all players enjoy their individual achievements along the way. And when careers are over they are fond memories.

I don't think there is any doubt that Brossoit deserves to have his name on the trophy. But the rule is what it is. LB's contribution this season could support an argument to change that rule.

A little history: From Wikipedia
From 1946 until the 1980–81 season, the Vezina Trophy was awarded to the goaltender(s) of the NHL team allowing the fewest goals during the regular season.[2] However, it was recognized that this system often meant the trophy went to the goaltender of the better team rather than the individual and was changed to offer the trophy to the most outstanding goaltender, as voted by the NHL general managers. The William M. Jennings Trophy was created as a replacement and is awarded to the starting goaltender(s) playing for the team with the fewest goals against.[3]

The Jennings Trophy was donated by the NHL's board of governors and first presented at the conclusion of the 1981–82 season. It is named in honor of the late William M. Jennings, who was a longtime governor and president of the New York Rangers and a builder of ice hockey in the United States.[1] Normally the minimum number of games a goaltender must play to be eligible for the trophy is 25, but for the lockout shortened 1994–95 season, the required minimum was fourteen games.[4]

If I ever knew that this Jennings Trophy was a replacement for the Vezina I had forgotten. So, prior to the 82 season, Helle would already have secured the Vezina for this year - but he would not already have had one on his mantelpiece.

I think he will play sowhere along the line, its pretty hard to play the same line up for 20 games or more :)

did the JETS also got the highest ROW?

Yes, and the highest RW too.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was a big Canucks fan. Not as big as my dad and my baby sister, but I loved watching hockey. I'm a Jets fan because I've lived in Winnipeg for the past 2 years. At the risk of interrupting the exciting discussions here about Perfetti, let me explain.

I got permission to spend a few months in Europe after my B.A., mostly because my older sister did it. All that got scrapped by Covid and I basically spent the next 2 years sitting at home, planning for grad school but never quite getting around to it. "Wasting your life," as mom often reminded me. When the BF moved to Winnipeg to advance his career in accounting, I applied to UofM and got accepted. I moved in with him and initially felt homesick. His advice was to embrace our new city, especially the sports teams, so I became a Jets fan. And after earlier lukewarm dabbling in HFCanucks, I found HFJets and thought it was fabulous.

Will I revert when I go home? First off, home is now Winnipeg, even though the accountant and I ran our course and drifted apart (and he threw me out due to a misunderstanding). Second, I'm applying for jobs in every province across the country (well, not P.E.I. yet) and when someone finally hires me, that will be my home. (I'd be foxing grateful right now just to get an interview.) Third, if I do have to relocate, I'll become a fan of the team in that city. It's really the only sensible way to live, but the Jets will always have a special place in my heart.

I've set a sort of arbitrary deadline of July 31 based on rental leasing and my roommate's needs, before I start thinking about moving back to Vancouver with my tail between my legs. And if you know anything about cats and how they carry their tails, you'll know how pathetic that will look.

Now, let's get back to how many goals Perfetti could have scored if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Hopefully you got a couple good digs on the relatives back home after last night's game.:nod:

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
No he was ganged up on for spending an entire season taking shots at Bowness... the same guy that just led us to the Jennings and 110 points.

The answer for Bones' system is in a word 'yes' - it does start faltering if you don't have speed on that 4th line... AJF, Gus, Barron, even Toninato... all these guys know their role to cycle the puck deep and wreak havoc with the oppositions top lines

It's clear that Bones wants the fourth line to pin the opposition in their end - and then maybe get some dirty goals as a bonus. Then the first line comes on to take advantage and score the goal.

That's it - maybe its not how I'd run a team if I got to be armchair coach for a season but its the system that got us here.

Crying about Perfetti sitting because he has 20 goals... when a 30 goal scorer is replacing him is ridiculous. Apples, Barron, Iafallo, Names, etc are all on our PK... and all shutdown guys - Perfetti doesn't have the size to do that in the playoffs and he doesn't have the savvy to be a Marchand...

He's 22... the rest of the team is 24-25 and up. To bark that Perfetti is somehow going to call his agent in the offseason is straight up lunacy... he's in our top six next year - definitely not at C even though that delusion still exists on here... but he's there.

Like Lambert comes in and looks like he belongs as an NHL centre and the following conversation is multiple pages of Bowness' is incompetent because Perfetti is scratched. The offseason nuthouse is starting early.

I usually just observe here, but has anyone really bashed Bowness? Disagree with his usage of players, sure, but it doesn’t seem insulting.

Same with “crying” about Perfetti not being played, some would like to see more of him. And that’s really it. It feels like your making a mountain of a molehill (even if it’s a persistent molehill).

Myself, I’d like Perfetti in the lineup, but I can’t disagree with the success of the team. And I do like Barron/Iafallo/Apples or whoever would need to come out for 91. I’d have an issue more so if the next level of players - Toninato,AFJ, Kupari (and I really like him), etc - get in before Perfetti.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm not saying that at all what i am saying is how much better would we be with another coach? I don't think any better than the great season we just had. So what we want is a young coach that plays all of our young players and we win the Cup ? I'm all for it if there is that said coach out there.

I don't think anyone is calling for a young coach that plays all the prospects. Bones has done a good job implementing a system that gives a chance to be solid defensively. And it was not directed at you or anyone in particular, just a joke about how coach's experienced gets brought up while all the time experience coaches made deployments mistakes (like Maurice with DeMelo on the 3rd pairing in 2020).

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yeah, and by and large the more skilled teams win in the end. You have a different view then me and that is fine. Actually argue the points I'm making instead of taking shots.

He's not cherry picking data. I challenge you to find any kind of data that says Gus/Barron are better players than Perfetti.

People think they are a better fit for a 4th line under Bones. Fine. I disagree completely, but I can at least understand you think that playing worse players who play a certain way is better than playing better players who play a different type of game.

IMO a 4th line of Barron/Iafallo - Names - Perfetti (whatever wings they play) is better than not having Perfetti there. Even if it is not a 'physical 4th line'. Plenty of teams won with skill all throughout the lineup. We will still have Lowry/Appleton/Niederreiter/Iaffalo as physical players. We still have size on defense.

Yeah I was personally OK with Cole being scratched when he went on that cold streak of about 20 games. But he has 6 points in 5 games with 4 goals and is a +4 in the games since he was added back to the lineup.

That seems a bit hard to overlook, esp if Barron is hurt and you are picking between Gus and Perfetti. I could see there being an argument made about Barron playing over Perfetti as he has played well in limited minutes but I am with you guys on this, with Barron out of the picture it is not close which one of Gus/Perfetti gives us the best chance to win and I say this as a fan of the Gus bus.

I am not gonna make a big deal about it as it is what it is and Gus isn't hurting you even if he may not score like Perfetti but it is a perfectly reasonable point of discussion.

Don't think people should be getting worked about someone questioning why Perfetti seems to be on the outside looking in when he has been so hot lately and seemingly done everything that was asked. People were acting like @surixon was being Avgard the hockey professor advocating to put Veslainen on the top line.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah I was personally OK with Cole being scratched when he went on that cold streak of about 20 games. But he has 6 points in 5 games with 4 goals and is a +4 in the games since he was added back to the lineup.

That seems a bit hard to overlook, esp if Barron is hurt and you are picking between Gus and Perfetti. I could see there being an argument made about Barron playing over Perfetti as he has played well in limited minutes but I am with you guys on this, with Barron out of the picture it is not close which one of Gus/Perfetti gives us the best chance to win and I say this as a fan of the Gus bus.

I am not gonna make a big deal about it as it is what it is and Gus isn't hurting you even if he may not score like Perfetti but it is a perfectly reasonable point of discussion.

Don't think people should be getting worked about someone questioning why Perfetti seems to be on the outside looking in when he has been so hot lately and seemingly done everything that was asked. People were acting like @surixon was being Avgard the hockey professor advocating to put Veslainen on the top line.
If Barron can't play i agree Perfetti should be in the lineup .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wait, are we talking ACTUAL wood chucked (WC) or EXPECTED wood chucked (xWC)?
Who's gathering the wood? Are there fences in the way? What shape and size is the wood?

Woodchucking is too chaotic for reliable advanced metrics.

The rhyme is asking about individual wood chucked. It makes more sense to look at in-forest wood chucked. Over a large sample in-forest WC and xWC should line up...but some woodchucks will habitually over-chuck or under-chuck expectations.
Then there's career outlier chucking seasons

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Talking about Cole's usage in this game is one thing, talking about whether he is disgruntled, wants out of winnipeg and what his agent is scheming and other conspiracy theories belongs in his own thread and not a PGT.

One leads to the other, but I agree, it could go in the Perfetti thread.

But its hard to keep everything (anything really) in its proper thread. You have to reply to posts in the thread they are in. If you are discussing something, you tend to discuss everything related to it.

How do we discuss Perfetti's great game without wandering into the fact that he probably won't dress for the PO, if we are healthy?

If Barron can't go he might be in. He makes that 4th line more likely to score and still effective defensively. But ST might lead to someone else drawing in.

Reactions: Jack7222

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
10 spots up front are st, likely 11 really barring anything having come to fore in the last game we are yet to be made aware of. Was there a practice today?

CSV
EMT
NLA
NAMES centering the 4th line. Iafallo is in based on playoff experience if nothing else I would think.

So Barron, Perfetti or Gus for the last spot. Maybe Gus if RB wants another C in the lineup.

At least we aren't having to use waiver wire pickups, career AHL'ers or never was'es and never will be's in our bottom 6.

Will this be the D:

JOMO-Demelo
Dillon-Pionk
Stanley -Samberg

Or does Schmidt or Miller draw in because of experience?

Since injuries happen players will draw in and if the lineup sans Perfetti is not scoring and we are losing he will get in.

Next season barring too many roster changes Perfetti is either 2C or 2RW. I really would like a concerted effort to try and sign Moneyhands but the Jets can pass on Toffifee.

Work on moving Schmidt and likely Iafallo, resign DeMelo and Dillon and insert Heinola in the lineup.

The depth we have is a nice problem to have.

Go Jets go. Do to the Avs what you did to the Oilers in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad