Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Canucks 2

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
The more aggressive pinching and the greenlight to join the rush has absolutely helped. Maurice's scheme that saw the d abandon the zone early and not take risks clearly limited defensive scoring.
Yeah it's interesting to contrast Maurice's scheme as "not take risks", when Bones is clearly super risk averse. I get what you mean, Maurice was risk-averse with the role of defensemen. He was with forwards too, but definitely D. But the difference in my non-hockey-educated mind is that Maurice (and his coaching team) were more X's and O's, "you're supposed to be here", and the F/D roles were more defined. Less about reading the ice. Whereas Bones' approach is more a way of thinking the game for all players on the ice, lots of structure, but with less static roles depending on where you line up. Lots of responsibility but also more freedom on each individual player within that structure. That works if you play as a team. It really works if you play as a team and you have talent and hockey IQ off the charts like Josh.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah it's interesting to contrast Maurice's scheme as "not take risks", when Bones is clearly super risk averse. I get what you mean, Maurice was risk-averse with the role of defensemen. He was with forwards too, but definitely D. But the difference in my non-hockey-educated mind is that Maurice (and his coaching team) were more X's and O's, "you're supposed to be here", and the F/D roles were more defined. Less about reading the ice. Whereas Bones' approach is more a way of thinking the game for all players on the ice, lots of structure, but with less static roles depending on where you line up. Lots of responsibility but also more freedom on each individual player within that structure. That works if you play as a team. It really works if you play as a team and you have talent and hockey IQ off the charts like Josh.

Yeah, it is quite interesting. Also Moe wasn't always like that here, he got really gun shy after Buff left. Bones had a better d core to work with so he likely felt more comfortable allowing different things.

There are similarities with both of their schemes when each coach is comfortable with their roster. Maurice a bit more creativity in the ozone with his forwards, Bones a more structured defensive scheme. But both love the aggressive 2-1-2 when they deem they have the pieces.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah, it is quite interesting. Also Moe wasn't always like that here, he got really gun shy after Buff left. Bones had a better d core to work with so he likely felt more comfortable allowing different things.

There are similarities with both of their schemes when each coach is comfortable with their roster. Maurice a bit more creativity in the ozone with his forwards, Bones a more structured defensive scheme. But both love the aggressive 2-1-2 when they deem they have the pieces.
Mo had some years with better D. I mean enstrom, Trouba, chariot, buff, Myers, was better than Pionk, Morissey, Dillion, Samberg, Stanley, demelo.

Reactions: PhilJets

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Couldn’t have scripted this one any better if you tried with Chibby scoring in his very first NHL game and Lamby getting a nice asssit and showing incredible speed in his first NHL game!

Perfetti said he wasn’t jealous but put in two goals to tell the guys he was here first!

Good team win!

AHL Apples lack of any hockey sense on full display!

Slow Gus dressed

ECHL Kupari present!

Schmidt with probably his last game in a Jets jersey!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Bones had a better d core to work with
Yeah was it 2019 we lost Buff, Trouba, Myers, and Chairot (not that I considered Chairot much of a loss)? All in one year? That's an emergency situation, and if your eye was keen enough to see how Maurice changed his strategy in response to our weakened D (which doesn't surprise me based on your posts), cool.

So yeah, after that we had what - Beauleau, Poolman, Kulikov. Maybe other names I'm forgetting. That was bad.

But all I would say is that the Jets D-core since then hasn't exactly been celebrated as top notch on paper, either. Was anyone around the league looking at the addition of Dillon, Schmidt, Pionk, or even Demelo (who actually is great but only Jets fans seem to know that) as a rock-solid D-core? Samberg?

Maybe our d core looks as good as it does is because of Bones.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think it's a mixture of both. Morrissey was showing signs of being an elite impact d-man the season before Bones under Maurice/Lowry. Based on @IneffetiveMath's Synthetic Goals metric he had already achieved #1 d-man results the season prior to Bones:

So maybe Bones helped unlock the offense by giving him the greenlight but I would not be surprised if JoMo was going to post elite results no matter what.

Wait someone suggested exposing Morrissey... seems unlikely.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Don’t underestimate the short term, knee jerk, stupidly of a faction of our posting fan base. Morrissey had a couple of rough seasons by his standards and I am sure some were bailing on him.
If I'm remembering correctly the love for Morrissey hasn't been universal on this site. Ever.

When he was drafted there were some that loved the pick and many that panned it.

He then spent the better part of two years before becoming an NHL regular and took quite a lot of heat from this board, many saying he was a bust.

He then came into the NHL and while not stellar, played as an excellent defensive partner with Trouba up until the latter abandoned ship, so to speak.

A rough year or two and he took a great deal more heat, less so from this board than around the league. His contract was by some listed as one of the ten worst contracts in the league. Then we found out that his father was fighting for his life against cancer, only to lose the battle. Not surprisingly that took a substantial toll on Josh.

The last couple of years he's been most excellent and has really come into his own. This board pretty universally loves him, but still relatively little respect around the league among other fanbases.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One of the very first things Bowness said when he became coach was Morrissey was one of the best defenseman in the NHL and when he coached against the Jets they used to key on Morrissey. Morrissey has absolutely flourished under Bowness. And on the Perfetti issue we finished 3rd overall in the NHL under Bowness and his decisions , i will go with that but that's just me .

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
That was a big narrative at the time. Morrissey had negative value according to many fans around the league because of his term in those days
Bleacher Report had this gem from October 2021 - Analyzing Every NHL Teams Worst Contract:

Winnipeg Jets: Josh Morrissey​

32 OF 32

1. hi-res-bf01d4c2377b9dceffe4ff85d8764ed9_crop_exact.jpg

Chris Carlson/Associated Press
    Year Signed: 2019
    Seasons Remaining: Seven
    Cap Hit: $6.25 million
    Eight years is a long time to figure out exactly what kind player you have on your hands. That's essentially what the Winnipeg Jets committed to doing when they handed this $50 million pact to Josh Morrissey.
    When he went from skating with Jacob Trouba to being asked to haul around random replacement-level defenders, his on-ice contributions took a massive hit. While his cap hit doesn't suggest that he should be a No. 1 blueliner, it does imply that he should be a strong No. 2.
    Is that what the Jets have here?
    After beefing up their backend over the summer, Winnipeg will have its answer by this time next year. As of now, though, Morrissey has been routinely crushed by his tough assignments. While we feel for him because of the various situations he's been placed in, the truth is that he simply hasn't been up to the tasks at hand.

So......The "experts" were wrong. Who would have thunk it?!?!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Mo had some years with better D. I mean enstrom, Trouba, chariot, buff, Myers, was better than Pionk, Morissey, Dillion, Samberg, Stanley, demelo.

Yeah, I was referring his last years here. He did have a real good d core for his first 4 to 5 years here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well onto the playoffs. Didn't see this one but congrats to Lambert and Chibrikov on their first points.

Well whatever happens in the playoffs Cole finished the season strong with 4 goals and 6 points in his last 5 games. Honestly I'm not sure how the coach can justify not playing essentially a 20 goal player but them grit roles...
Stop being disingenuous. Cole made a great case for himself but a playoff team needs all roles of players and the Jets have scoring in spades.

I'm not saying Perfetti shouldn't be in, but logically speaking the players that will be in for him play specific roles and they're great at them.

Who would you pull out for Cole?

It would have to be Barron or Iafallo and again I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but it's not like he'd be sitting for a Hendricks or AJF. These players perform specific functions this team needs at a high level.

The goalies get the spotlight for the Jennings but make no mistake or wouldn't be possible without players like Iafallo, Barron, Lowry etc.

In the playoffs prevention is everything and mistakes are magnified.

Cole will learn from this season and if very he'll never let a coach even entertain the thought of scratching him again.

Is no longer about singular players it's about the team goal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stop being disingenuous. Cole made a great case for himself but a playoff team needs all roles of players and the Jets have scoring in spades.

I'm not saying Perfetti shouldn't be in, but logically speaking the players that will be in for him play specific roles and they're great at them.

Who would you pull out for Cole?

It would have to be Barron or Iafallo and again I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but it's not like he'd be sitting for a Hendricks or AJF. These players perform specific functions this team needs at a high level.

The goalies get the spotlight for the Jennings but make no mistake or wouldn't be possible without players like Iafallo, Barron, Lowry etc.

In the playoffs prevention is everything and mistakes are magnified.

Cole will learn from this season and if very he'll never let a coach even entertain the thought of scratching him again.

Is no longer about singular players it's about the team goal.

The mean Cole prevents better then most on the team in terms of actual and metrics. He just doesn't do it the same way.

But I digress, it seems all I get is flack for my views.

Anyhow go Jets go, I hope they crush the Avs.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think Gus gives us a better chance to win if the open slot is where Barron was on the 4th line
Exactly.

Its not like if heaven forbid toffoli or someone gets hurt Gus comes in.

We've seen teams that are loaded with scoring do Jack shit in the playoffs because they don't have balance and enough guys who do the dirty work that's needed and badly under appreciated by some fans.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The mean Cole prevents better then most on the team in terms of actual and metrics. He just doesn't do it the same way.

But I digress, it seems all I get is flack for my views.

Anyhow go Jets go, I hope they crush the Avs.
f*** the 'metrics'. To me, that just underlines how flawed they are. It's also more than simply prevention, it's forecheck pressure, physicality, wearing teams down with the cycle, disrupting breakouts and a host of other things that aren't glamorous but are hugely important in terms of momentum.

Also, never stop pushing your opinions, we need all sides on this board to make it interesting

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I just don't understand the "f*** the metrics" attitude. All the metrics do is show what a player has ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED with his time on the ice in a more meaningful and reliable way than the old eye test. Nobody anywhere is claiming that switching a couple players gives us a 10 or 15% better chance of winning any given game or series. Hockey is pretty damn close to a coin flip game most of the time...all you're trying to do is increase your odds by fractions of a percent. But whatever...feel free to run around pointing and yelling "nerrrrrrrrrrds!!!!" all you want lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad