Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Canucks 2

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Seasons over - we are on a winning streak and have home ice advantage and our two best prospects both got points in their nhl debut... and we're right back on the fkn poorfetti train.

He's not a 2C and he needed like a full fkn season to grow.... there's no coach in the league that would play perfetti over toffoli based on playoff experience. Just give it a rest... he's in the top six next year be happy

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
See a bunch of people talking about Kupari and poor he looked.

I came away from the game more encouraged about him than before; I know nothing really came of his play, but it’s not like he’s had a lot of ice time this year to improve.

I very well could be wrong, but I think he has another level or two he can hit and be a good player.
Ragging on a player who's sat for half the season and then is asked to play the fourth line energy forecheck... he does it and it's like oh all he does is skate.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
So that's game 82. Helluva season. 8 game win streak to end it off. 2nd in the west. While I've been on board with critiquing some of Bones' decisions, tonight I want to embrace what we've accomplished with Bones at the helm.

One thing I want to call out is Morrissey's evolution under Bones. Even though Bones is known for a stifling defensive game overall, he also has a vision that every player on the ice is responsible for both defense and offense. The forwards need to think defensively. When they don't, we see what happens. But he also opened the floodgates for our D to step into an offensive role, because our forwards cover for them when they do. And Morrissey has gone from pretty f***ing good, to absolutely dominant under Bones. To whatever extent Bones as an old coach is a dinosaur or old skool, he also sees every player on the ice as part of a coehsive unit that scores goals and stops goals. And Morrissey, to both their credit, has become the player he was meant to be in that system.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
PLD having a monster of a game... 100% Corsi and 100% xGoals. Odd to see that from him in such a meaningless game. I guess he really wants to play the Oilers.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
4 out of 5 Johnny McLanes!

1713521064797.gif1713521064797.gif1713521064797.gif1713521064797.gif

Onwards and Upwards

Jets win the Jennings, who ever the heck that is.

So many great story lines heading to the tournament.

Baron is excited.

1713530416974.gif

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So that's game 82. Helluva season. 8 game win streak to end it off. 2nd in the west. While I've been on board with critiquing some of Bones' decisions, tonight I want to embrace what we've accomplished with Bones at the helm.

One thing I want to call out is Morrissey's evolution under Bones. Even though Bones is known for a stifling defensive game overall, he also has a vision that every player on the ice is responsible for both defense and offense. The forwards need to think defensively. When they don't, we see what happens. But he also opened the floodgates for our D to step into an offensive role, because our forwards cover for them when they do. And Morrissey has gone from pretty f***ing good, to absolutely dominant under Bones. To whatever extent Bones as an old coach is a dinosaur or old skool, he also sees every player on the ice as part of a coehsive unit that scores goals and stops goals. And Morrissey, to both their credit, has become the player he was meant to be in that system.

I think it's a mixture of both. Morrissey was showing signs of being an elite impact d-man the season before Bones under Maurice/Lowry. Based on @IneffetiveMath's Synthetic Goals metric he had already achieved #1 d-man results the season prior to Bones:

So maybe Bones helped unlock the offense by giving him the greenlight but I would not be surprised if JoMo was going to post elite results no matter what.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Home from the game. Very AHL/preseason feel. That said future looks bright. Chibrikov earned that goal. I don’t know where he’ll slot in but that motor:eek3: Lambert looked both very young and very good aside from one shift. I think he’s channeling his draft angst very nicely, much to the delight of Jets fans. Might need another year of seasoning but I’m more excited for him at 2c than Perfetti.

Fun game, crowd was into it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't disagree, but you can't have your 2RW go on a stretch like he did and not do something about it when the team looks like it can compete

His banishment was finalized with the Toffoli trade. In that sense, both him and Ville just had terrible timing with their misfortunes this year

I hear you but all players slump at times. I mean Mark recently had a stretch of 3 points and a -6 in 10 games. I get he's more established but we've seen plenty of players like KC, Dubois etc slump really bad and see no repricussions for it. I just don't get why coaches feel they can treat younger players vastly different then older ones. I mean what does it prove.

Anyways if we make a deep run and I am hoping we do, everyone will need to be a part of it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
zomg how dare I forget his what 1 assist in that span? going that many games without scoring to make him become a healthy scratch is what cost him millions, had he scored he wouldn't have been scratched and hold have made his bonuses lol

I can play this game too. If Bones gave him the minutes he deserved the first half when he was third in team scoring he would have made his bonuses.

I find it so interesting everyone is always on board the punitive minute train. He's not producing so bench em. The opposite of that is if a player is performing exceptionally well then they should see more minutes. Imo you can't have one without the other in your tool box.

I think it's a mixture of both. Morrissey was showing signs of being an elite impact d-man the season before Bones under Maurice/Lowry. Based on @IneffetiveMath's Synthetic Goals metric he had already achieved #1 d-man results the season prior to Bones:

So maybe Bones helped unlock the offense by giving him the greenlight but I would not be surprised if JoMo was going to post elite results no matter what.

Agreed. He was starting to show that offensive Flair the year before but he wasn't getting rewarded for it with points. The points game the following year.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

This is close to what I think. I agree, Bones didn't make Morrissey into a great #1 D, he was doing that already all by himself. But I do see an association between Bones' system and Morrissey's offensive break-out. Josh has played differently since Bones got here, because the system has allowed him to. While that was obviously always something Morrissey had the potential to do (because he's doing it now), I do think that the way Bones coaches the game (always think D, but then score when the opportunity arises) has both made the other players on the ice allow Morrissey to unleash his offensive potential, and also given Morrissey the freedom to play the highly intelligent game that he does, where he can read the ice and make the best play, instead of being stifled into a more static defensive position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is close to what I think. I agree, Bones didn't make Morrissey into a great #1 D, he was doing that already all by himself. But I do see an association between Bones' system and Morrissey's offensive break-out. Josh has played differently since Bones got here, because the system has allowed him to. While that was obviously always something Morrissey had the potential to do (because he's doing it now), I do think that the way Bones coaches the game (always think D, but then score when the opportunity arises) has both made the other players on the ice allow Morrissey to unleash his offensive potential, and also given Morrissey the freedom to play the highly intelligent game that he does, where he can read the ice and make the best play, instead of being stifled into a more static defensive position.

The more aggressive pinching and the greenlight to join the rush has absolutely helped. Maurice's scheme that saw the d abandon the zone early and not take risks clearly limited defensive scoring.

Sunday at 6

Glad it's at 6, heard rumors it may have been an afternoon start time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad