Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 Blues 2

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Just finished watching the 3rd. Jets we're lucky to win this game, as Morrissey's GWG was a lucky bounce.

A win is a win I guess, but they've been sleepy for far too many games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
First full 60 minute game in a long time against a desperate team. The game wasn't really close.

Thought Capo came in and played a very steady game considering how little he's played this year.

I loved the Jets physical nature in this game. Pionk looked like he wanted to murder someone and I think he plays his best when he's snarly.

I think the stars got the message, they really turned it up a notch. Wheeler was still awful. Perfetti looks like he's struggling to adjust to the grind and intensity of an nhl season but he'll be fine.

I thought ehlers reinjured his groom which would have been absolutely devastating. I think he's probably pretty sore still which is why the team is being careful and managing his minutes.

I loved Morisseys passion when he scored, telling the boo birds to stfu haha

I didn't have an issue with Cole's effort today, thought his hands let him down though. He was bobbling pucks and misfiring on plays he normally makes in his sleep. The break will be good for him as I think he's now played the most games he's played in 3 years due to COVID and injury. Not surprising if he needs to recharge.

Wheeler's play was pissing me off again but he kept getting thrown out again and again. He probably also needs some rest at his age.

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I'm glad that I mostly like the Jets and Jets fans. I don't really have any type of hatred for you guys.
giphy.gif

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It already is easily the best one from a D we've seen imo. That isn't at all a slight on Buff but JoMo is tied now for Buff's second highest point year and 3 back of his career high.
I mean it felt like Buff shifted ice more, was more physical but he also took a lot more risk while putting up less points. Also scoring is way up. I wouldn’t look at just total numbers, but, I think Morrissey is higher up compared to peers this season.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
That power nap of mine in the second period sure did wonders for the Jets. I wonder why it hasn't worked before? Nice to see the Jets back in their winning ways, but they still need to work on quite a few things... I give this game three nods out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I will not be posting a new Prediction Contest thread until after the All-Star Game. I have, however, posted the up-to-date leaderboard and everybody's stats so far. Take a look and see how you are doing, it is broken down game-by-game, so it should be an interesting read.

I'm like a broken record, but don't forget to sign up for a GDT! There are plenty of games still available, I know one of them has your name on it...:sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean it felt like Buff shifted ice more, was more physical but he also took a lot more risk while putting up less points. Also scoring is way up. I wouldn’t look at just total numbers, but, I think Morrissey is higher up compared to peers this season.

He definitely shifted it with his physical play but he didnt have as dominating individual year as Morrissey is having this year. I don't know that Buff was ever in serious contention for a Norris whereas JoMo is.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
One period is better than no periods.
Shaky play for much of the game.
A power play that is completely stifled.

This break would have been unbearable if we had lost. Now we can see how things will look next week. Hopefully that never quit Jets team from December will return.

How did Noel put it, “Joy in Joyville”.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Was a strange game, where the Jets carried momentum for most of it, but Binnington was sharp. I mean it's not every game you get almost 12 minutes of PP time in the first 40 minutes, which helped, and didn't help because the PP did not really generate any momentum. Wheeler had some bad turnovers on the PP, and the other part that was frustrating was the inability to start with the puck. If the Jets acquired Toews I almost think you'd want him on PP1 instead of Ehlers, just to have the puck to start.

Give up a tough PK goal, which was kind of a broken play, bad change, and another breakaway goal and suddenly you're down 2 in the 3rd.

I liked the Morrissey-Pionk pairing tonight, both played over 25 minutes, they won a lot of matchups, played physical and got the puck to the net. Pionk gets trashed the most of any defenseman besides Stanley, but if you watch the first Jets goal it starts from quick accurate puck movement from Pionk, which allows Morrissey to fly from his defense position. That's such a drastic difference from playing with Brendan Dillon who rarely supports the rush up ice, and boom the fragility of Binnington is finally exposed, with Josh taking charge. I loved the reaction after scoring. That's a player you know cares about this game, and that's the kind of leadership this team needs when the pressure is on.

It's funny because that play started with Ehlers lying on the ice injuring himself I guess. A play that probably shouldn't have been blown dead.

I don't know what was up with Ehlers tonight but that might have been the softest game I have ever seen from him. Any contact and he went down, and I don't think he spent more than 15 seconds of the game between the circles, but one lucky break on some hard work by Scheifele a nice feed by Connor, and he gets a key assist to tie the game up. That said if coach hadn't moved Ehlers up to that line they probably don't score there, as his zone entry was the key to that offensive zone pressure.

For me the best players tonight all night were Barron and Maenalanen. That's not the first time those two have had success together, and I hope it's not the last. Really strong game at both ends by both players. Dubois wasn't even the catalyst for their success more like the complimentary piece to it.

I didn't think Perfetti-Lowry-Wheeler were terrible. I don't think they gave up a quality chance as a line besides the one that Perfetti got beat off the wing on, I mean you can't really fault anyone but Capobianco on the 2nd Blues goal, by making it a breakaway, instead of an odd man rush. Perfetti wasn't very engaged in board battles but he didn't have to be...Not a lot of synchronism though. Best chance came off a Lowry faceoff win.

As for Capobianco I thought he played rather well for the long layoff. Was mostly a 4D effort tonight though.

If the coach's message tonight was towards Ehlers and Dubois to start the game, I'd say they responded rather well, and maybe both are back in the top 6 after the break, though I'd like to see Scheifele get a chance to run with the star wingers. From the opening draw you could see Scheifele being vocal on the bench, from his play you saw a lot of effort on both ends of the rink. I have no problem making a 30 goal scorer the #1C if his play warrants it.

That wasn't a very strong Blues team the Jets beat, with a lot of guys missing, and if I was a Blues fan I'd say the reffing was definitely tilted for home ice advantage, but take the two points and stay in the hunt if you are a Jets fan who hasn't jumped off yet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad