Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 Blues 2

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Compare Maurice's all time win percentage as head coach vs Bowness'
Yea, Maurice was coaching those powerhouses in Toronto and Hartford…
here's a new and higher relevant thread for you stans to enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
here's a new and higher relevant thread for you stans to enjoy

dont forget to take these with you
View attachment 644277
I don't get it

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The Jets have needed a bounce for a while now. Going into the 3rd down 2 goals is not a recipe for success. Even if the Jets deserved better in the first two periods the fact is they didn’t score. Can’t win if you don’t score.

In the first I saw a lot of that sloppy turn over play (not to the level of our worst games but enough to make me worried). In the second they just couldn’t finish and by that point the failures of the PP were really adding to the frustration.

But we finally got that bounce (two of them in fact)

1. The gift from Faulk who handed Connor the puck for no reason which led to our 2nd goal

2. The literal bounce on Morrissey’s second goal.

Voila.

Had we had a bounce like that in one of the 3 previous games then maybe that could of stopped the bleeding before we got here.

The Jets need 2 of Col/Min/NAS to cool off for a bit after the break so we can regain our nice cushion on the WC spots. Thanks to Dallas for mainly stumbling at the same time as us.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Can i just say Morrissey has been unbelievable this season. The guy is such a good skater, i love watching him play this season. How Maurice didn't let Morrissey play like this i will never understand.
Not just that, if you have extra time, search for the Morrissey posts from a year or two ago when some here wanted to trade him because the defense fell apart and he couldn't hold it all on his back and he had poor metrics.

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Not just that, if you have extra time, search for the Morrissey posts from a year or two ago when some here wanted to trade him because the defense fell apart and he couldn't hold it all on his back and he had poor metrics.
My favourite part of that is when some Athletic writer had Morrisey’s contract as one of the worst in the NHL.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well embiggen my britches, that was a heckuva third to bring home the W and send the one-note Blues and especially Justin "The Hatchetman" Faulk weeping their way back to Saint Loueee.

The first was an embarrassment of misses, the second saw the Jets get Binn'd, but they carried the play for the vast majority of the game and must have hit the metal of the old Win-O-Meter.

JMo with the pair (and two goals) picked it up with the motivator, but though the first and 3rd pairings looked good, with Capo helping to keep the play alive through the rust well despite the World's Slowest Spinorama and not taking the pass away on that first goal. His play highlighted how little Stanley offers in transition vs pretty much every other D player or prospect. I had hopes for the big man, but honestly wonder now if the game hasn't begun to pass him by.

Pionk plays better with some snarl, and was plenty snarly tonight, Samberg was solid, 4th-line Dane-y-mo and his abraded ankles made the PPs and a key goal happen, Big Sak came back, PLD wore the Blues down, 55 shot for a change and KFC added some speed and cycle.

Lower down the order Barron did his best Ehlers, Lowry wuz robbed and Gagner had his moments tho he petered out by the end.

Thought Cole made some fine reads and passes but looks tired, and Wheeler is tired and needs his minutes managed -- yesterday.

Helle held.

The break will help. Looking forward to a team busting out of the gates in 11 days with Apples hopefully pitching in. And HFJ also can refresh itself and regroup -- enjoy the ASB mes choms, and be well.
If you are Bowness the positives you take away from the lineup that came out of this game (not the start necessarily) are Morrissey-Pionk when on can be a strong pairing. Dillon-Schmidt can control the pace rather well as a veteran pair. De Melo probably comes back into Capo's spot, and you might try to run that defense for a stretch.

Forwards Connor and Ehlers can make plays happen, seemed to me like they were defending less with Scheifele as a centre than Dubois, and there is probably a reason for that.

Perfetti and Wheeler have been together the most of any winger pairing this year. You wonder how much diffferent that line looks with Dubois driving the centre of the ice instead of Lowry. The results with Scheifele have been positive for the most part.

Barron and Maenalanen have had good games together, with Dubois, Lowry, Gustafsson, Toninato this year, and you start to wonder if Bones sticks with these two.

Appleton will be back after the break, and I'm sure there is a spot for him in the lineup. Stenlund is still looking strong on the defensive zone draws, which is good for a couple of shifts, so maybe there's just one roster spot available if these players come together. Maybe two by the deadline.

Gagner is likely the 13th forward on this team, judging by usage. I would like to see Gustafsson get in for a stretch of games instead of AJF or Kuhlman just to compare the impacts.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If you are Bowness the positives you take away from the lineup that came out of this game (not the start necessarily) are Morrissey-Pionk when on can be a strong pairing. Dillon-Schmidt can control the pace rather well as a veteran pair. De Melo probably comes back into Capo's spot, and you might try to run that defense for a stretch.

Forwards Connor and Ehlers can make plays happen, seemed to me like they were defending less with Scheifele as a centre than Dubois, and there is probably a reason for that.

Perfetti and Wheeler have been together the most of any winger pairing this year. You wonder how much diffferent that line looks with Dubois driving the centre of the ice instead of Lowry. The results with Scheifele have been positive for the most part.

Barron and Maenalanen have had good games together, with Dubois, Lowry, Gustafsson, Toninato this year, and you start to wonder if Bones sticks with these two.

Appleton will be back after the break, and I'm sure there is a spot for him in the lineup. Stenlund is still looking strong on the defensive zone draws, which is good for a couple of shifts, so maybe there's just one roster spot available if these players come together. Maybe two by the deadline.

Gagner is likely the 13th forward on this team, judging by usage. I would like to see Gustafsson get in for a stretch of games instead of AJF or Kuhlman just to compare the impacts.
Why would you demote develop? After half a decent game by pionk?

Reactions: hn777

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Jets showed heart, guts, determination in the come from behind win. When they failed to score on the 4 minute pp, Welp - I thought it was gonna be another disheartening loss, but Jets turned it around.

Ok, on to the break, then the Jets better come out of the break en fuego!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why would you demote develop? After half a decent game by pionk?
My reasoning would be that De Melo is probably the best defensive player on the team, and if you are looking for a d-pairing with good defensive metrics to play behind your checking line, Samberg and De Melo might be a good option, while Pionk used in a more offensive role, with Morrissey, could create more offensive opportunities. Not saying it's 100% successful, and there will be times when you would want to flip De Melo and Pionk, but I look at it as De Melo mentoring one of two players in a defensive role, Samberg, and Stanley, with whom he has put up good metrics.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My reasoning would be that De Melo is probably the best defensive player on the team, and if you are looking for a d-pairing with good defensive metrics to play behind your checking line, Samberg and De Melo might be a good option, while Pionk used in a more offensive role, with Morrissey, could create more offensive opportunities. Not saying it's 100% successful, and there will be times when you would want to flip De Melo and Pionk, but I look at it as De Melo mentoring one of two players in a defensive role, Samberg, and Stanley, with whom he has put up good metrics.

They had a good game together but by and large they haven't been effective as a pairing.

I personally see Pionk as best served on our third pairing as an offensive driver against soft opposition. Ideally we'd get a dmen that can anchor the second pairing for that to happen.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

For me i want Axle in the lineup for his speed, Kuhlman can sit for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad