Value of: Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, One of (Harris, Ylonen, Farrell)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any team drafting in the 10-15 range interested in this? Has a chance to back fire on the Habs but we would like a 2nd dart in the top 15.

* Jets 1st (24-27 range)

* Mesar. A late 1st in the 22 draft. Great skater with very good vision/play making. Had a very good D+2 with a good playoffs. International numbers with the Slovaks are solid. Hate to trade him but you got to give to get.

* Avs 2nd

* Young NHL depth pieces. One of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell.

Reactions: Nevins

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
magic-eight-ball-outlook-not-so-good-photo-researchers-inc (1).jpg

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
There's a huge drop off in talent after 14/15 or so in this draft. Teams will want more quality in a trade back then a bunch of quantity like this.

I understand Habs fans thoughts of piling all of their excess together to get one quality piece...but it doesn't work like that. Most draft day trades up are for 1 quality player, or soley picks. Not to mention guys like Harris, Struble, Ylonen, Farrel, etc. don't hold that much value to other teams.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
For this to work, you'd need, on draft day, to have a team that had a couple of draft targets they expected to be available be gone before they're picking, and their other targets are in a different, lower, tier. As well, you'd need a team that had a strong interest in one of the other players suggested.... and to be honest, none of them seem like show-stoppers to me.

I think the best bet would be #27 and Avs 2nd and PIT 2nd next year to move up to the top 15, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost at that point, unless there's a guy Montreal sees as top 10 still around for whichever pick they get.

Reactions: themelkman

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Nobody will bite at Harris Kovacevic Struble Ylonen Farrell Barron etc they are borderline NHLer, if you want to move up you have to give VALUE, WPG 1st (24-27th) + CGY 1st '25 would be a start and you would probably have to give AVS 2nd '24 also to move into the 12-16th range.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Nobody will bite at Harris Kovacevic Struble Ylonen Farrell Barron etc they are borderline NHLer, if you want to move up you have to give VALUE, WPG 1st (24-27th) + CGY 1st '25 would be a start and you would probably have to give AVS 2nd '24 also to move into the 12-16th range.
This is equally ridiculous. The Flames pick next year will probably be Florida's, but if Calgary is just bad enough to land at 10-11, that's Montreal's pick. So 24-27 plus (possibly) 2025 #10 - 15, plus a second rounder STARTS the conversation to move up 12-15 spots? Yeah, I think that's a no go as well.

I think it's easier to suggest that you don't think there's a good match there and move on.

Ledge And Dairy

This is equally ridiculous. The Flames pick next year will probably be Florida's, but if Calgary is just bad enough to land at 10-11, that's Montreal's pick. So 24-27 plus (possibly) 2025 #10 - 15, plus a second rounder STARTS the conversation to move up 12-15 spots? Yeah, I think that's a no go as well.

I think it's easier to suggest that you don't think there's a good match there and move on.
If Calgary's pick is 10th they keep it. Would have to be 11+

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Any team drafting in the 10-15 range interested in this? Has a chance to back fire on the Habs but we would like a 2nd dart in the top 15.

* Jets 1st (24-27 range)

* Mesar. A late 1st in the 22 draft. Great skater with very good vision/play making. Had a very good D+2 with a good playoffs. International numbers with the Slovaks are solid. Hate to trade him but you got to give to get.

* Avs 2nd

* Young NHL depth pieces. One of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell.
I think it is better to keep these draft picks and players

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it is better to keep these draft picks and players

Depends on who we can get if we get a pick from 10-15 range. We need more quality than quantity IMO.

There's a huge drop off in talent after 14/15 or so in this draft. Teams will want more quality in a trade back then a bunch of quantity like this.

I understand Habs fans thoughts of piling all of their excess together to get one quality piece...but it doesn't work like that. Most draft day trades up are for 1 quality player, or soley picks. Not to mention guys like Harris, Struble, Ylonen, Farrel, etc. don't hold that much value to other teams.

We are aware of the draft just like you are. The question is are you interested or not. With you, it's a no and that's OK.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Mesar is worth the Flames 1st or more because he is having good D+1 and D+2 development (not a bust pick). So you are basically proposing the same dangle as I did.

Jets 1st
Flames 1st vs Mesar
Avs 2nd
Young NHL ready Depth player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No team in the top 15 should be interested and I'm a Habs fan.

Just because you are a Habs fan, it don't make it right or wrong. The issue here is trade up/down don't happen often but they do from time to time. I understand the probability but if a team wanted 3 darts vs 1 at a later point, this is not a horrible dangle that warrants "no team ever does this" type narrative. It's very comparable to past trades.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Just because you are a Habs fan, it don't make it right or wrong. The issue here is trade up/down don't happen often but they do from time to time. I understand the probability but if a team wanted 3 darts vs 1 at a later point, this is not a horrible dangle that warrants "no team ever does this" type narrative. It's very comparable to past trades.
No, but it should suggest I have a little more insight than a total outsider. This is not an appealing package to most fanbases. I can't think of any team in the top 15 that it makes sense for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, but it should suggest I have a little more insight than a total outsider. This is not an appealing package to most fanbases. I can't think of any team in the top 15 that it makes sense for.

I'm not going any deeper than that because it's more than fair when compared to past trades in the up/down movement.

What you going to do? Offer Jets 1st and Roy? I don't think so. Who trades a Grade A prospect under team control for a dart that could bust?

I don't care if the answer is no because it usually is. Just spare me with the you need to go deeper than ever before reply in order for a team to trade down.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
That is a horrendous offer.

Harris/Ylonen/Farrell have no value (you could maybe get a 3rd for each if you are lucky).
Mesar's chances of being an NHLer have dropped since his draft year. He has less value than a year ago.
So you are left with Jets 1st (24-27th) and Avs 2nd (late one).
Not at all interesting for any team in the top 15 to move.

Your best bet would be the Jets 1st and Mailloux to have any team in the top 15 interested.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
That is a horrendous offer.

Harris/Ylonen/Farrell have no value (you could maybe get a 3rd for each if you are lucky).
Mesar's chances of being an NHLer have dropped since his draft year. He has less value than a year ago.
So you are left with Jets 1st (24-27th) and Avs 2nd (late one).
Not at all interesting for any team in the top 15 to move.

Your best bet would be the Jets 1st and Mailloux to have any team in the top 15 interested.
Mailloux alone is worth a top15pick.

Guy was just named to the AHL all rookie team... Stop it.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not going any deeper than that because it's more than fair when compared to past trades in the up/down movement.

What you going to do? Offer Jets 1st and Roy? I don't think so. Who trades a Grade A prospect under team control for a dart that could bust?

I don't care if the answer is no because it usually is. Just spare me with the you need to go deeper than ever before reply in order for a team to trade down.

This is exactly why no one is going to trade a good 1st for that proposed grab bag.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is exactly why no one is going to trade a good 1st for that proposed grab bag.

1st (24-27), Mesar (Grade B+ trending well), Avs 2nd is not your typical spare parts bag. It's in line with past trades to move 10-15 spots.

It's rare yes. But at the end of the day, it depends on each team's draft board.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
1st (24-27), Mesar (Grade B+ trending well), Avs 2nd is not your typical spare parts bag. It's in line with past trades to move 10-15 spots.

It's rare yes. But at the end of the day, it depends on each team's draft board.

A 20 year old at just over PPG in the OHL is not 'trending well'. It's not bust, but it's not what you want to see development wise.

This is a late first, a late 2nd and a mid prospect.

This chart is developed from previous trades

Montreal is giving 190-166 + ~44.8 + Mesar

10 spots would be 297-260. Maybe that works if someone thinks Mesar is worth an early 2nd. There's no way that gets you 15 spots historically (372-324); I doubt anyone is valuing Mesar as a late 1st.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A 20 year old at just over PPG in the OHL is not 'trending well'. It's not bust, but it's not what you want to see development wise.

This is a late first, a late 2nd and a mid prospect.

This chart is developed from previous trades

Montreal is giving 190-166 + ~44.8 + Mesar

10 spots would be 297-260. Maybe that works if someone thinks Mesar is worth an early 2nd. There's no way that gets you 15 spots historically (372-324); I doubt anyone is valuing Mesar as a late 1st.

Mesar is not a grade A but he is a good trending B+. It was his D+2 and he put up very good numbers. 52 in 45 games with 19 goals and backed that up with 16 pts in 10 playoff games. International numbers against the best players his age is also very solid.

I stand firm on Mesar's value. He's actually worth a a pick around 20 or better, because you know he is not a complete bust. There are two angles to this. We don't even know who the bust picks are from 10-30 in this draft.

I think the Jets 1st, Mesar, and Avs 2nd is fair. Fair is only a word though. The other team has to like the talent with the Jets 1st (24-27) and also like what they see in Mesar. Avs 2nd is the bonus and the young NHL depth is OK as an add on.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
10- Doesn't need more small player

11- doesn't need more small players

12- Torts would eat him alive

13- Minnesota is weird but also hasn't picked an under 6'0 player in the 1st round since Rossi and it sounds like they are selling him. Probably not high on Mesar

14- Sharks have had an emphasis on height in the 1st round for a long time and rarely break from it. Mesar not wanted

15- Nobody understand Yzerman's brain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad