Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I think its basically dependent whether he plays with Mac. If he does 23-23.
If not, 15 goals?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He will score more if freed from the grinding role on McD line.
Ideally we add Granlund as Nuge's replacement moving Yama on McLine and Pulju free to show his skill.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Things to practice for Jesse this offseason:
  1. One-timer's where the pass is just a little outside his wheelhouse
  2. Speeding up his wrist shot release
  3. Taking the puck wide, dropping his shoulder, putting the puck to the outside and shielding the puck with a wide base and taking the puck to the net
  4. Learn just a little how to protect himself in scrums
  5. Keep practicing the puck handling
  6. Work on the acceleration and stamina
If he made small improvements in all of these areas I think he'd be pushing 30 goals next year and would be a nightmare for the opposition in the offensive zone and more challenging to defend through the neutral zone on the rush. He could potentially then play away from McDavid and Draisaitl if necessary and still be productive. He's a hard worker so I'm expecting to see some improvement, but curious to see what he looks like come September/October.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I say the opposite.. He wil need PP time to score 15+ regardless.
Well he scored 15 this year in 55 games with very little PP time.

I’d bet he gets between 40-50 points next season. Making signing him to a long term deal a bit cheaper.

he does a lot good things on the ice that don’t show up on the score sheet and creates a lot of open ice and second chances for his line mates, making him a good fit to play with skill in the top six. Would like to see him get some ice time with Drai. Two big bodies who could cause a lot of trouble for the opposition

Reactions: PulYou

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
I want to see him take over RNH's spot on the PP in Ovie's office so that our point man has the option of one-timers on both sides from him and Drai. As for his regular spot in the lineup, I expect him to bounce around the top 6 a bit until they can find a good fit for him. Turning him loose on offence with less of a focus on grinding will do wonders for his game and his confidence.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Im torned about Jesse. Does he know he has to address or ger stronger in his game under off season? Im afraid he not get that.
He has to build his game more, and be compliant to McDavid.

I hope he trains hard for it.

Reactions: murrough

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I want to see him take over RNH's spot on the PP in Ovie's office so that our point man has the option of one-timers on both sides from him and Drai. As for his regular spot in the lineup, I expect him to bounce around the top 6 a bit until they can find a good fit for him. Turning him loose on offence with less of a focus on grinding will do wonders for his game and his confidence.

Thos worries me a ton, the fans blind love for Jesse reminfs me of Yakupov. Oilers shouldnt play according ti Jesses needs, its Jesse who needs to learn to play for what the team needs

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
-stop falling down and actually use that frame to spin out of board battles. I think he fell 10x last game
- take guys on 1 on 1 more vs just shooting. We already have a Nuge
- carry the puck in a little more vs quick passes to covered players.
-longer shifts and don't abandon linemates in illogical situations

He's improved alot but these are definitely the next steps he needs to take

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Thos worries me a ton, the fans blind love for Jesse reminfs me of Yakupov. Oilers shouldnt play according ti Jesses needs, its Jesse who needs to learn to play for what the team needs

Well this is almost a straw man like take. Oilers have not played according to Jesse’s need. If You have watched last season You probably would had noticed that it was Jesse who adjusted his game to Oilers’ needs not the other way round.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
Pro-rated Jesse scored 22G 15A this season (if it were 82 games). I'm hoping for 25G 20A. I think he works well with McDavid but is really a second line winger right now with his production and salary.

EDIT: I also think he needs to work on his game in front of the net a la Neal and Chiasson. If he does that he'll score a lot more while replacing those two players.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Lolwut? Tippett barely played to the Oilers need in general. Why else did he stupidly load up McDrai and then decide to bench half of the players leaving the others one to be gassed. If anything, its Tippett that needs to learn to adjust and not get outcoached.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hmmm odd post. So don’t play a player to his strengths, rather play him to what the team needs...

But as for the teams needs one could say our biggest needs from wingers last year were in no particular order: goal scoring, forechecking, puck retrieval, defensive awareness, creating space for skilled centers...I’d say that Jesse provided all of those better than almost any other forward on the roster.

the fan blind hate reminds me of so many other Oilers that have been run out of town and then flourished after leaving.

Reactions: PulYou

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
25-35-60 is my hope. I’ll settle from him dropping that shoulder and leaning in on defenders as he bulls his way to the goalmouth on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce