Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed, the big club needs a shooter in the worst way and Jesse can be that guy. Hopefully if we call him up we give him top unit PP time to get his confidence going.

TM won't put him on the PP right away, he'll have to earn it to bump a highly skilled player like Letestu and Strome off of it.

Reactions: Zihuatanejo

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
TM won't put him on the PP right away, he'll have to earn it to bump a highly skilled player like Letestu and Strome off of it.
Yeah this line of thinking is something I don't understand with TM.

Why do some players have to work their way into the top 6, and PP, but others are handed it for no reason

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Strome and Letestu have been ineffective in their roll on the PP. maybe pull them off the PP and make them earn their way back on to it as well?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Strome and Letestu have been ineffective in their roll on the PP. maybe pull them off the PP and make them earn their way back on to it as well?

Here's my pp based on players that have earned it. Players that have in my view pissed a few drops for the team this year.

McDavid, RNH, Maroon
Nurse, Larsson

That's my #1 unit.

I don't have a #2 unit. It's not an option .. perhaps play the pk unit for shits. The way the rest are playing it really doesn't matter what 5 your put out there so draw from a hat.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I actually like 2 dmen on the PP and have been calling for that for several seasons... but that format seems to have gone the way of the dodo so I gave up on pushing that anymore.

Obviously if the Oilers had MacInnis and Suter back there on the blueline a 2 dman PP setup would make more sense as well... but with the lack of a PP bomb from the line that dangerous threat on the PP is effectively neutered.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Letestu has 2+0 and -5(!) in 10 games, and Strome hasn't got too much either. Then there's players like Slepyshev (0+0, -2), Caggiula (0+0, -2) and JJ (0+1, -3), so if it were just about deserving a spot in the roster it would look quite different right now.

The team isn't scoring enough points and the PP should be better, and I can almost guarantee JP would be better than some others on it (playmaking and shot), so IMO it'd be stupid not to try him. At the start of last year he had PP time in a few games and he hit the post several times. When he was taken off from PP the fans wanted him back there for a long time, so it'll be interesting to see what he's got to offer when he gets there.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Scheifele is definitely one of the best (arguably THE best) all-around 2 way C in the NHL... so any rookie gets a definite boost playing on his line.

I don't doubt Puljujarvi would also have a solid boost playing with him and obviously McDavid isn't chopped liver as well.

Last season Puljujarvi had very, very solid GA/60 stats while he was on the ice compared to his teammates. In his small sample of NHL games I was actually very impressed that he wasn't a defensive liability out there which is often the case with younger players.

Unfortunately the GF/60 stats weren't as good and his personal pts/60 wasn't as high as it could have been given that he had a strong offensive push while he was on the ice.

The net effect though was that he WAS definitely a positive out there when he was on the ice. Hockey is a two way game which I think far too many forget and they end up looking at just boxcars and adjudicating talent based on that alone.

Based on what I saw last season he is essentially already a decent top 6 talent (again considering his play at both ends of the ice)... and more play will determine how well he improves (or possibly regresses) when he gets more ice time and expectations for more offense are put upon him.

Great post IMO. Just one more thing to add. His pts/60 was actually good (among top 3 in the team) while he had a solid place in the roster. At that time there was nothing (except for amount of goals) to be embarassed about, and his corsi was even the best of the team. However, after he started getting benched his stats started to drop and in the end they looked quite different. Not horrible, but not anything like top of the team either.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They should have been putting Yamamoto on the 1st PP unit. He easily has the best one timer in the current lineup. I understand that at first they didn't want to mess with last years PP setup but it was clearly not working after 5 games.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
They should have been putting Yamamoto on the 1st PP unit. He easily has the best one timer in the current lineup. I understand that at first they didn't want to mess with last years PP setup but it was clearly not working after 5 games.

Yeah i have to agree with this.... The kid is all offence and shooting, put him out there.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Has anyone tried watching any AHL games and what is the quality of them?

I'm gonna guess the quality is pretty shit.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well one strategy would be to look at which players are producing the most scoring chances and high danger chances per 60 minutes and then stack them all together on the PP and hope like hell that creates some offense. Can't hurt trying that because what they are doing now isn't working.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Agreed, the big club needs a shooter in the worst way and Jesse can be that guy. Hopefully if we call him up we give him top unit PP time to get his confidence going.

Problem is that TM doesnt really trust rookie / young players unless they are McDavid and Draitsaitl. Basically JP isnt going to get time on the top unit PP or time on the top lines unless he starts lighting it up. If JP needs his confidence built up to play, I cant see TM giving him a real opportunity.

Yamamoto should of been on the PP as well. But TM doesnt trust rookies/young players.

Last edited:

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
Puljujarvi gets his first of the season on the PP, ends up being the game winner in a 5-2 decision against Manitoba. He was -1 with 3 shots. He's currently shooting at 4% on the season. He'll get there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was 0 in 7. Now he is 1 in 8 with 4 points. Definitely a slow start.

Whining about 0 in 7 games when he just scored tonight and it was mentioned in the last post of the thread no less.

His last 3 games he has 1-1-2 and 17sog. but yeah let's not look at that or anything.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Whining about 0 in 7 games when he just scored tonight and it was mentioned in the last post of the thread no less.
Fair enough.

Wish they would give him a better center. Downing is a bad player and is somehow our top center down there? Nonsensical

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll give Jesse a pass for the first 4-5 games of the season. I understand he's a kid and had his heart set on being with the Oilers from day 1 this year and probably pouted a little bit being sent down. Leon did the same thing.

But Jesse sounds like he's put together two good games in a row now, if he can get comfortable there then we should consider a call up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll give Jesse a pass for the first 4-5 games of the season. I understand he's a kid and had his heart set on being with the Oilers from day 1 this year and probably pouted a little bit being sent down. Leon did the same thing.

But Jesse sounds like he's put together two good games in a row now, if he can get comfortable there then we should consider a call up.

3 good games IMO as he had 5 sog. in that game as well. Ideally we'd give him another month to play really well in Bako before we call him back up but we could really use a boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad