Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Sorry, still one more thing. In any case these are two very different players and the Oilers had no chance to get Laine. Winnipeg also needed Laine more badly, as they needed him for marketing, while the Oilers already had e.g. McDavid and Drai. I certainly believe in a year or two many people will be surprised to see what a complete player Pulju is, let's just give it some time and let Laine keep developing and scoring in his own team.

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hope JP does well this year in the AHL so a call up is warranted. That RH position is going to be very highly sought after by a few players here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hope JP does well this year in the AHL so a call up is warranted. That RH position is going to be very highly sought after by a few players here.
I am hoping he does too. If he can be the player that people fell in love with at the World Juniors that would be huge.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
you have evidence that he is not going to be.It going to take time.

I have already supported my position in a previous post. You made a claim and provided no supporting evidence what so ever. So now I am just waiting for you to support your opinion with something.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Paajarvi started good and went down hill fast.
His second pro season he had 25 points in 34 AHL games which was a higher ppg that Pulju had last year.

If he can beat that 0.735 ppg pace that Paajarvi got then I will be less worried. That or if he makes the NHL and contributes.

Paajarvi came over to NA a year later than Puljujarvi did. Magnus was pretty much a guy that thrived on the rush and driving the net until he got rocked and started to play a different game. Puljujarvi is a better shooter and passer than Paajarvi but I'd give the edge to Magnus on his speed. Magnus became a very ineffective player once he started playing scared.

I agree with this to a point. There is no evidence so far to support this hypothesis that Jesse will be a top 6 NHL player much less a 1st line player like Laine.
He needs to prove something at the AHL level first before you start projecting his NHL career.

He doesn't "need" to, look at Draisaitl 2 seasons ago. I for one am not comparing him to Laine because until/if he proves worthy of that comp it should not come into play.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He doesn't "need" to, look at Draisaitl 2 seasons ago. I for one am not comparing him to Laine because until/if he proves worthy of that comp it should not come into play.

The Draisaitl comp only partially works though. I agree that it provides a possible template for Jesse's development but the major difference is that Drai had adjusted to NA years earlier than Jesse. So when Draisaitl was trying to crack the NHL is was purely a hockey issue. Also..the hockey issue for Draisaitl was strictly about playing at an NHL level. He had already adjusted to the NA game.
That IMO is a large part of why Jesse needs to show something. He has a lot of adjusting to do...on and off the ice and not just to the difficulty of playing in the NHL.
Jesse also has to adjust to NA style hockey.
So because his is a much more complicated situation Jesse needs to show some success in the AHL to illustrate that he has made/is making progress with everything.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dang, saw 5 goals and then looking Pulju got 1 2nd assist. Kid needs to break out in the worst way. Only 4 multi-point games in the A so far.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dang, saw 5 goals and then looking Pulju got 1 2nd assist. Kid needs to break out in the worst way. Only 4 multi-point games in the A so far.
My friend said he looked pretty good just not hitting the score sheet.

Leon only had a goal and an assist in 6 AHL games so as long as he is actually playing well ill take it as a positive sign I guess.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
My friend said he looked pretty good just not hitting the score sheet.

Leon only had a goal and an assist in 6 AHL games so as long as he is actually playing well ill take it as a positive sign I guess.

Good to hear. I think you're right, at this point the main thing is his play looks good and he develops in the needed areas. I also take the rare mistake he made last nigh as a kind of a good sign, as he's hopefully getting braver with the puck and learning things that'll help him in the NHL. Of course if they need to bring Jesse up e.g. due to injuries or the team needing something new it'd be good for his confidence to have enough points and especially goals before coming back up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have to completely disagree here. He looked good his draft year, was out played by Laine though and since then they haven't been close. Pulju has some skill but I have yet to really see it since he was drafted. Either here or at the AHL. He has some good moments in the AHL but nothing screams "holy **** this kid is good/holy **** this kid is going to be good".

I think he will be an NHL player for sure. But second best player in the draft class? There is a good chance Laine hits 100 goals before Pulju sniffs 50 points. Puljujarvi is currently a 50 point AHLer (well on pace for if he played the full season last year) And Laine is CURRENTLY a 60+ point NHLer.

There is a massive gap right now and Puljujarvi would need to do a lot of improving to be close to that.

I posted this exact thing earlier in the thread (minus the Laine comments because it's obvious that they aren't in the same stratosphere). I don't recall one moment in his pro career where I saw high end skill and thought to myself, "now THAT'S why he was so highly touted".

I believe he'll be a nice NHL player in some capacity but I'm not seeing top line upside. Usually you see at least a few flashes of high end skill from these highly drafted forwards pretty much right away, haven't seen it with Jesse yet. I also see some parallels to Paajarvi, lots of similarities in their frame, style of play and on ice mannerisms. All the comments about Jesse's speed and size being a big attribute and defensive awareness making nice little plays on the ice is strikingly similar to the same comments about Paajarvi in his first few years. Not saying that Pulju will follow the same development path but I see some of the same red flags that I saw with Paajarvi.

It kind of baffles me that some people want to recall him soon and throw him on the McDavid line. There's absolutely no way that this kid is ready for that level of responsibility right now if preseason is any indication of his readiness. I think at least half a season in the AHL will do him some good then ease him into the NHL later in the year if he shows that he's too good for the AHL. No need whatsoever to rush him right now. It could be a good trade deadline addition if he is indeed ready for the big show but that's a big if right now.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It kind of baffles me that some people want to recall him soon and throw him on the McDavid line. There's absolutely no way that this kid is ready for that level of responsibility right now if preseason is any indication of his readiness. I think at least half a season in the AHL will do him some good then ease him into the NHL later in the year if he shows that he's too good for the AHL. No need whatsoever to rush him right now. It could be a good trade deadline addition if he is indeed ready for the big show but that's a big if right now.

I've seen only clips this year so I can't comment much about his current state, besides from what I've read. However, I don't know if he's that far from a chance with McDavid, even if there's things to work on. I mean, people are suggesting e.g. Caggiula there, and IMO Jesse's offensive potential is better already now. Last year Jesse and McDavid had four games together, and those went really well. Actually McDavid had eight or nine games without scoring a goal before that, but had a hat trick in the first one they played together. This season they were put together during two preseason games and in the first of them Jesse was selected the best player of the game and scored good points, so I don't think it was that bad.

Otherwise I'm not saying when I think he should be brought back, just wanted to state my opinion that a player doesn't always have to be ready in all aspects, if he's clearly better than other options in some important areas. Whatever makes the team succeed, especially in the short run, but without forgetting the longer one either.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I've seen only clips this year so I can't comment much about his current state, besides from what I've read. However, I don't know if he's that far from a chance with McDavid, even if there's things to work on. I mean, people are suggesting e.g. Caggiula there, and IMO Jesse's offensive potential is better already now. Last year Jesse and McDavid had four games together, and those went really well. Actually McDavid had eight or nine games without scoring a goal before that, but had a hat trick in the first one they played together. This season they were put together during two preseason games and in the first of them Jesse was selected the best player of the game and scored good points, so I don't think it was that bad.

Otherwise I'm not saying when I think he should be brought back, just wanted to state my opinion that a player doesn't always have to be ready in all aspects, if he's clearly better than other options in some important areas. Whatever makes the team succeed, especially in the short run, but without forgetting the longer one either.

He wasn't all bad in the preseason, although I should add that those 2 goals were on the PP and not driven by a McDavid/Pulju combo. I just see a kid who still has that "deer in the headlights" look to him at the NHL level. I'd rather not throw him into the deep end of the pool until he's ready to swim.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I posted this exact thing earlier in the thread (minus the Laine comments because it's obvious that they aren't in the same stratosphere). I don't recall one moment in his pro career where I saw high end skill and thought to myself, "now THAT'S why he was so highly touted".

I believe he'll be a nice NHL player in some capacity but I'm not seeing top line upside. Usually you see at least a few flashes of high end skill from these highly drafted forwards pretty much right away, haven't seen it with Jesse yet. I also see some parallels to Paajarvi, lots of similarities in their frame, style of play and on ice mannerisms. All the comments about Jesse's speed and size being a big attribute and defensive awareness making nice little plays on the ice is strikingly similar to the same comments about Paajarvi in his first few years. Not saying that Pulju will follow the same development path but I see some of the same red flags that I saw with Paajarvi.

I read in some Finnish article where JP stated that his lack of English skills were the reason he couldn't really integrate himself to the team and it ate his confidence. He also said that it was his top priority from now on, to learn the language and accept NA as his new home.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

People keep waiting for him to show some offence, and keep being surprised when he doesn't show any. When will his (rather long) past inability to generate meaningful offence start to matter? He isn't a high-end offensive player, full stop, end of story. He's not even really a middling offensive player to be honest. He looks to be a bottom-6 winger, with size, speed, and some defensive awareness. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but he's never going to be a top-6 winger, barring some (almost miraculous) major change in his game and abilities.

At some point people need to just accept the player for what he has shown you he is.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People keep waiting for him to show some offence, and keep being surprised when he doesn't show any. When will his (rather long) past inability to generate meaningful offence start to matter? He isn't a high-end offensive player, full stop, end of story. He's not even really a middling offensive player to be honest. He looks to be a bottom-6 winger, with size, speed, and some defensive awareness. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but he's never going to be a top-6 winger, barring some (almost miraculous) major change in his game and abilities.

At some point people need to just accept the player for what he has shown you he is.
Bottom 6 player? I think you've been spoiled by McDavid highlight reels

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

When will it start to matter? How about we wait a little longer than two games into the season, which he currently is a PPG player. Full stop, end of story. Holy f*** I'm glad you weren't in charge of the Oilers when Drai struggled in the NHL in his first season, then struggled in the AHL to start his second pro season.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton

I can see why people are concerned with his lack of production, since it doesn't seem to come as often as advertised. He is still getting the job done with 30 points in his 41 games in the AHL including the two this season. I think we were expecting a more explosive/dynamic/flashy player and that's where the disappointment lies. But that's not to say it's not there.

Far too early to write him off and label him someone that's not capable of putting up points and becoming a top 6 player. Confidence seems low and there seems to be an uncertainty to his game. He just needs to find his way and adjust to the smaller ice and quicker pace I'm guessing.

I have plenty of patience for a highly touted 19 year old that's still adjusting to a North American lifestyle, including the on-ice stuff with the smaller rink and faster decision making etc.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can see why people are concerned with his lack of production, since it doesn't seem to come as often as advertised. He is still getting the job done with 30 points in his 41 games in the AHL including the two this season. I think we were expecting a more explosive/dynamic/flashy player and that's where the disappointment lies. But that's not to say it's not there.

Far too early to write him off and label him someone that's not capable of putting up points and becoming a top 6 player. Confidence seems low and there seems to be an uncertainty to his game. He just needs to find his way and adjust to the smaller ice and quicker pace I'm guessing.

I have plenty of patience for a highly touted 19 year old that's still adjusting to a North American lifestyle, including the on-ice stuff with the smaller rink and faster decision making etc.
I feel like his World Juniors performance greatly boosted his value. He scored 17 points in 7 games, which is massively impressive but he hasn't come even close to that. Last year he had 28 points in 39 AHL games.

I feel like he will be a good middle 6 winger. A 35-45 point guy who is solid defensively. I just don't see him ever being that elite right shot scoring forward that people thought. People were saying he would be McDavids Kurri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad