Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Look at Mikko Rantanen's use in Colorado. He played offensive and PP minutes and was given every opportunity to succeed. Once he got it figured out, he started to play in tougher situations as well.

If we play Puljujarvi with McDavid and RNH, or even consistently with Draisaitl, I guarantee you he'll score at least 25 goals next year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Look at Mikko Rantanen's use in Colorado. He played offensive and PP minutes and was given every opportunity to succeed. Once he got it figured out, he started to play in tougher situations as well.

If we play Puljujarvi with McDavid and RNH, or even consistently with Draisaitl, I guarantee you he'll score at least 25 goals next year.

As @Drivesaitl pointed out earlier, he scored at a 20+ goal pace while playing top 6 minutes this season. Also keep in mind that he had almost zero PP minutes during that time. Consistency is the key for Puljujarvi this next season, that also means consistency from the coaching staff. Hopefully he can earn more of their trust as it was obvious he wasn't trusted at all last season. Even games where he was playing well he would be benched for the last 5-10 minutes and never once saw the ice in OT or the shootout. Maybe they think they are protecting him, but it appears they are actually hindering his development to me.

Last edited:

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
As @Drivesaitl pointed out earlier, he scored at a 20+ goal pace while playing top 6 minutes this season. Also keep in mind that he had almost zero PP minutes during that time. Consistency is the key for Puljujarvi this next season, that also means consistency from the coaching staff. Hopefully he can earn more of their trust as it was obvious he wasn't trusted at all last season. Even games where he was playing well he would be benched for the last 5-10 minutes and never once saw the ice in OT or the shootout. Maybe they think they are protecting him, but it appears they are actually hindering his development to me.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
All for being careful with Pulju's development, but the thin line between cushioning and hindering was more than toed by McLellan last year.
The limited PP time, complete lack of 3-on-3 opportunity, reduced minutes in random times (even when he was playing a good game) are confidence killers.

Those are all situations where he can build momentum offensively. Which is what he's been drafted for.

If the philosophy is to earn your time in those situations, apply it to your other developing players too. Benning, Caggiula, Strome all were gifted more leash without earning it.

@nabob has it right, the protection blanket is too big right now, it's smothering his development

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
All for being careful with Pulju's development, but the thin line between cushioning and hindering was more than toed by McLellan last year.
The limited PP time, complete lack of 3-on-3 opportunity, reduced minutes in random times (even when he was playing a good game) are confidence killers.

Those are all situations where he can build momentum offensively. Which is what he's been drafted for.

If the philosophy is to earn your time in those situations, apply it to your other developing players too. Benning, Caggiula, Strome all were gifted more leash without earning it.

@nabob has it right, the protection blanket is too big right now, it's smothering his development

I think that TMac was so afraid of failing last season and not reaching the high expectations that were present for the team that he actually ended up making things worse. In Drai's second season he was thrown a life jacket (Hall) and allowed to bob around in the deep end all season, if he screwed up he wasn't punished, if he had a dry spell he didn't get demoted. He was put in a position to succeed because the team could afford to have him fall and get back up again. Granted he was more acclimatized to the NA game and is a more refined player, but the effort the coaches seemed to go to to stifle Puljujarvi is very confusing. Even when he was playing his best they demoted him in an attempt to get the 3rd line rolling.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I might be in a minority, but I am more than happy that JP is brought along slowly. He will get better year by year as his body catches up to his frame. He played a lot better than he did the year before.

I kinda like that we're not rushing him, or throwing him to the wolves. He's 20. I think patience is the way to go with him.

He's starting to scratch the surface of his potential. With some consistency he will be absolutely beastly.

Let him grow his game slowly. He'll get more confidence as he gets older.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I can't believe the amount of people that are willing to shop JP out of Edmonton. That thread on the main boards is a joke. I still believe he is going to be a very good top 6 winger for many years

Most threads on the main boards are a joke. I find it odd that so many posters have such a dislike for a player on their own team such a Jesse that they would spend hours on HF trying to put the kid down.

Reactions: PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Once again I agree with Staples input on Jesse's usage:

"One wonders how things might have gone differently for both Puljujarvi and the Oil’s power play if in November 2017, when it was clear that Letestu had lost his power play mojo, the Oilers coaching staff had decided to go with Puljujarvi instead on the left flank."

How to fix the Edmonton Oilers woeful power play in one obvious step

The worst part is that when Letestu was a healthy scratch for one game the team probably had their best special teams game of the year...next game...Letestu is right back in there!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't believe the amount of people that are willing to shop JP out of Edmonton. That thread on the main boards is a joke. I still believe he is going to be a very good top 6 winger for many years

I don't recall one poster prepared to shop Pulju out of town. Where are those posts?

Myself I WANT Pulju to be granted opportunity to put it together here next season. We need him to, team needs him to. Criticism of what the player has done and how he has performed does not at all equate to wanting him gone.

Why interpret in comments that are not there?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't recall one poster prepared to shop Pulju out of town. Where are those posts?

Myself I WANT Pulju to be granted opportunity to put it together here next season. We need him to, team needs him to. Criticism of what the player has done and how he has performed does not at all equate to wanting him gone.

Why interpret in comments that are not there?
Are you kidding? There have been many Oiler fans suggesting we trade Jesse. Heck, look at most trade proposals.

Reactions: CornKicker

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
There is a difference between shopping him out of town and including him in a trade for a great player
What is a great weakness on our team, RW? What's not going to help our RW depth, shipping out JP.

Also, don't give me that s***. There have been numerous posters suggest we throw JP into a Lucic deal to get Looch out of town

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Are you kidding? There have been many Oiler fans suggesting we trade Jesse. Heck, look at most trade proposals.

Yeah I really question people wanting him dealt this offseason, and there have been plenty of them, or some who at least want to be hea d more often.

If Lucic stays then I would like to see Jesse be given a solid chance on a line with Lucic and Drai. They could really wear the other team's 2nd pairing down and create a lot of havoc if they all apply themselves physically. JP put up decent numbers with Drai when given the chance, they could grow their games together and he might be able to learn how to protect the puck better from Drai whomis dominant at it when motivated.

Reactions: CornKicker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Oh ok, I NEVER look at the trade proposals here or make any or tune to that thread. So fair enough but you could save yourself a lot of aggravation not going there. I jus have no interest in pretend trade proposals. True rumors yes, but proposals I find meaningless.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I'd be shocked if he hit 20 next year if he plays with those 3 most of the year.

I dont think he breaks out anytime soon. I think he will be a 40 point or less guy for a while and probably break out around 24/25.

I see too many flaws with his game, his decision making. He still looks like a big kid in a grown ups body. He is adapting to North America very slow. Watching highlights and stuff going back I see a player there. It's just, going to take a while.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's funny how much being a high pick vs. being a low pick changes the perception of a player. I'm just thinking of Puljujarvi vs. Chytil. I bet if you asked people who they would rather have a lot of people would pick Chytil. His season in the AHL as a rookie is considered impressive while Puljujarvi's was considered disappointing by many despite the fact Pulju had better production. And Chytil also only had 3 points in his 9 games but people talk about him around here like he's the next big thing and it's largely due to him being a late 1st round pick instead of a 4th overall.

I wonder if Puljujarvi was selected at 21st overall how excited people would be around here about him. Completely changes how he's viewed.

You could make the same argument for Nugent-Hopkins for what it's worth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd be shocked if he hit 20 next year if he plays with those 3 most of the year.

I dont think he breaks out anytime soon. I think he will be a 40 point or less guy for a while and probably break out around 24/25.

I see too many flaws with his game, his decision making. He still looks like a big kid in a grown ups body. He is adapting to North America very slow. Watching highlights and stuff going back I see a player there. It's just, going to take a while.

Might be for the best as I've said though, if we could get him signed to a 3-4 year deal in the 3-4 mill range after next season ... we can't afford another guy asking for 6+ if he really breaks out next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's funny how much being a high pick vs. being a low pick changes the perception of a player. I'm just thinking of Puljujarvi vs. Chytil. I bet if you asked people who they would rather have a lot of people would pick Chytil. His season in the AHL as a rookie is considered impressive while Puljujarvi's was considered disappointing by many despite the fact Pulju had better production. And Chytil also only had 3 points in his 9 games but people talk about him around here like he's the next big thing and it's largely due to him being a late 1st round pick instead of a 4th overall.

I wonder if Puljujarvi was selected at 21st overall how excited people would be around here about him. Completely changes how he's viewed.

You could make the same argument for Nugent-Hopkins for what it's worth.
Because Pulju was highly touted, has not improved since he was drafted and hasn't really shown the player anyone thought they were getting? Hype definitely has something to do with it. If he was a second round pick it would he told but he is a high ranked high drafted forward who was supposed to be close to Laine and he looks like he couldn't even hold his jock strap at this point

Not to say he won't ever be good, just the entire group of scouts league wide were very wrong when it came to his NHL readiness and ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia