Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part III On Loan To Finnish WHC Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Finally was about time.
Honestly said this move ( Puljujarvi's AHL assignment) should've been done 2 months ago.

Now let Jesse play in Bakersfield end of this season and release him to Team Finland's IIHF 2017 men's world championships evaluation camp in mid / late April
(When Bakersfield's regular season is over if they won't make AHL playoffs).

You can bet if we make playoffs he will probably be up as an option for the team, especially if he does well down there. I could see him up even before the end of the season if he can really get rolling.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Finally was about time.
Honestly said this move ( Puljujarvi's AHL assignment) should've been done 2 months ago.

Now let Jesse play in Bakersfield end of this season and release him to Team Finland's IIHF 2017 men's world championships evaluation camp in mid / late April
(When Bakersfield's regular season is over if they won't make AHL playoffs).

2 months ago he was not really struggling yet, that begun more or less in the end of November iirc.

Normally I would expect struggles from an 18 year old rookie and how to handle that kind of player could be delicate. I don't know if it would have been such a good idea to have sent him down right away in the beginning of December without trying to work with him in practice with the actual team.

Another factor that could have been in play here is also this:
The human element may have had something to do with this decision as well. An 18-year-old kid, in a different country for the first time, with an obvious language barrier and being demoted around the holidays, might not have gone well around Christmas. Perhaps Edmonton felt the better long-term play was to treat him well, let him get comfortable in the city, spend time with his family and help him understand the ups and downs of the NHL. The Oilers may have wanted to show him they had his best interests as a person at heart and if it became clear he wasn’t ready (which it did) then he’s been treated right, he’s comfortable and now down in the minors contributing in a major way. There is no time limit to how long he spends there and the trip could be short-term.
http://thehockeywriters.com/puljujarvi-being-demoted-long-overdue/

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You can bet if we make playoffs he will probably be up as an option for the team, especially if he does well down there. I could see him up even before the end of the season if he can really get rolling.

There is also the off chance that they are thinking about moving Eberle for the right price ... Especially if Puljujarvi starts ripping it up in Bakersfield and then he would be coming back up.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ill say it......if lander can score puluj should score 50

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
2 months ago he was not really struggling yet, that begun more or less in the end of November iirc.

Normally I would expect struggles from an 18 year old rookie and how to handle that kind of player could be delicate. I don't know if it would have been such a good idea to have sent him down right away in the beginning of December without trying to work with him in practice with the actual team.

Another factor that could have been in play here is also this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/puljujarvi-being-demoted-long-overdue/

It's not only that. You have to remember that Pulju made about $400,000 by being up for 40 games. They are getting him set so he can have the money to do whatever he needs to do to be the best he can be.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's not only that. You have to remember that Pulju made about $400,000 by being up for 40 games. They are getting him set so he can have the money to do whatever he needs to do to be the best he can be.

Oh please. How much pizza money does he really need? ;)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He looks so different in this game,

Showed his speed in the 1st shift right away.
On the 2nd shift made a back check which lead to Condors goal
3rd shift made a great play from behind the net, showed patience with the puck, the guy just shot it wide :(
On powerplay was moving the puck well, made a between the legs drop pass if I saw it right :laugh:

Seems to be able to keep the puck, be patient and make plays at this level.
Looks good on the forecheck again.
+These guys are praising his skating stride.

Last edited:

ursus maritimus

Jan 8, 2017

3rd shift made a great play from behind the net, showed patience with the puck, the guy just shot it wide :(
On powerplay was moving the puck well, made a between the legs drop pass if I saw it right :laugh:

more info, thank you

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

thanks

us Oiler fans are too busy swearing at the big club to watch the Condors :rant:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
more info, thank you

thanks

us Oiler fans are too busy swearing at the big club to watch the Condors :rant:

Pulju had to be one of the best players on that 1st period.
He and Khaira are going to be a nightmare duo at the AHL level.

He was used on the one timer spot on the pp, they couldn't give him a shot there though so he was making plays.

Of course I'd love to see him in the NHL playing real minutes(wasn't happening) but looking at this 20 this makes so much more sense than playing him 8 mins or sitting him at the press box.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good 1st game for Pulju.

1 assist,
I believe +2,
stong effort level, was always moving,
had the puck, had chances, created few chances.

Can't wait to see how he'l look like in 2-4 weeks.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Good 1st game for Pulju.

1 assist,
I believe +2,

That's great to hear, he has all the tools to be a game breaker at the NHL level.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Good 1st game for Pulju.

1 assist,
I believe +2,

He'll be back after the trade deadline no doubt

Appreciate these updates... keep us posted!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Good 1st game for Pulju.

1 assist,
I believe +2,

Thanks for the info, I have also quoted them in the bakerfield thread for those who only look there.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Thanks for the info, I have also quoted them in the bakerfield thread for those who only look there.

Yeah thanks for the info guys.

So should we discuss him here or there I wonder...?

I mean I can flip back and forth but it would be nice if all discussion is contained somewhere. I know we're excited to see how he does so.. while he's in the AHL maybe the Bakersfield thread is more appropriate?

What do you think mod bros ?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah thanks for the info guys.

So should we discuss him here or there I wonder...?

I mean I can flip back and forth but it would be nice if all discussion is contained somewhere. I know we're excited to see how he does so.. while he's in the AHL maybe the Bakersfield thread is more appropriate?

What do you think mod bros ?

I'm not a mod but I think this is a better place, as the Bakersfield thread is a general one (not related to a particular player) and not a very active one. I also believe that the AHL stint won't be very long and in any case how Jesse is doing in AHL also affects Oilers and the team's plans. At least for me this is an easier place, as I'm also interested to follow other Oilers' threads.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think we could use both. The reason for me putting the info there was that it was game info and there are some posters (old OKC supporters, Bakersfield supporters) who seems to only be active in that thread who could be interested to read and/or add information about the performance in a specific game.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think we could use both. The reason for me putting the info there was that it was game info and there are some posters (old OKC supporters, Bakersfield supporters) who seems to only be active in that thread who could be interested to read and/or add information about the performance in a specific game.

Yes that's true as well. It's a shame the Bakersfield thread is so quiet. I wondr if it means there's not too many people watching the games there, or if it's just that they are not spending time on this forum.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Good 1st game for Pulju.

1 assist,
I believe +2,

This is great news. Hope he can keep it up for a couple months and gain some confidence. I've been really disappointed in this guy so far this season but I'm really rooting for him to turn things around.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yes that's true as well. It's a shame the Bakersfield thread is so quiet. I wondr if it means there's not too many people watching the games there, or if it's just that they are not spending time on this forum.

It comes and goes a bit, there have been times when it was really busy. Not this season though, although I wouldn't bet against it coming back to life now that Puljujarvi is down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad