Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I agree. They easily could have gotten Tarensenko with those assets and cap space.

I always thought the biggest downside to Carolina was not the risk that KK may not pan out, but the opportunity cost of not maximizing their window.

It is so tough to win a cup and IMO you really have to focus on trading picks and using cap space to make the most of your window.
Tarasenko looks like a missed opportunity now but those shoulder issues made him a riskier use of 7.5 million than Kotkaniemi at 6.1 million.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I agree. They easily could have gotten Tarensenko with those assets and cap space.

I always thought the biggest downside to Carolina was not the risk that KK may not pan out, but the opportunity cost of not maximizing their window.

It is so tough to win a cup and IMO you really have to focus on trading picks and using cap space to make the most of your window.
Yep, though as was covered a bit in another thread the asking price for Tarasenko wasn't all that reasonable this past off-season. After seasons of 10 and 24 games, with 7 goals over that stretch for a guy that's primarily a goal scorer and was disgruntled with the organization, the ask was reportedly Necas with no retention by St Louis. Off a season where Necas was playing at around a 60-65 point pace. Given everything injury wise and with no offer of retention the Blues would have been lucky to pull Warren Foegele in that situation.

In hindsight it would have been a good move, but at the time the correct response was basically "piss off".

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I'd rather see him focus on skating than "bulking up". Not that he can't do both, but prioritize skating. His skating is so awkward and leave him off balance way too often. I remember Habs fans talking about how he "bulked up" after one off-season previously and thought the same thing about him being a force after that.
I haven’t watched him much this year, but I agree his skating was always an issue. But I also remember him falling all over the place, and thus he earned the nickname Bambi. I always thought he needed to work on lower body and core strength to deal with that issue. It might be what he needs to bulk up and which could improve his balance and thus skating. But it also seems that he needs to work on flexibility in his lower body as his skating is probably hampered by that. Skating is the hardest thing to improve, and from his time with the Habs it seems like he wasn’t the best student and rejected his coaches coaching. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it. Lol.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I haven’t watched him much this year, but I agree his skating was always an issue. But I also remember him falling all over the place, and thus he earned the nickname Bambi. I always thought he needed to work on lower body and core strength to deal with that issue. It might be what he needs to bulk up and which could improve his balance and thus skating. But it also seems that he needs to work on flexibility in his lower body as his skating is probably hampered by that. Skating is the hardest thing to improve, and from his time with the Habs it seems like he wasn’t the best student and rejected his coaches coaching. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it. Lol.
Baby steps in that case this year then since I can't say I noticed him falling all over the place it seemed all that much.

Last edited:

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Very baby steps because he didn't fall a lot but he did "stumble" a lot. :laugh:
he's a glider. feet are slow to move so he lacks burst that elite skaters have. That's ok. He's a big kid who will get bigger and stronger. Not every player is an elite skater who can keep up with Mackinnon/McDavid. Very few can. skating issues can be fixed to mitigate lack of burst. He's a good player who will put up respectable points with strong wingers. No issues here with his contract.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Another year will add another year's worth of muscle to an already wiry and strong kid. I believe he will look at his skating and do what he can to improve that as well. If he stays here most of the Summer, he'll be skating with a lot of the guys and very likely gets some pointers on improving his release.

Reactions: Tryamw

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This was also the case for Necas his first season, seems like he fell every time he shot the puck, or someone skated past him, or the ice got too slippery. This year, his balance was much better...his mistakes were mostly in his head with decision-making

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This was also the case for Necas his first season, seems like he fell every time he shot the puck, or someone skated past him, or the ice got too slippery. This year, his balance was much better...his mistakes were mostly in his head with decision-making
To be fair Necas is an unbelievable skater who is too fast for his own good and has had to learn to control himself while gaining some needed weight to dig in on those edges a bit.

Koko is basically the opposite. He has the weight, he has pretty slow feet and lacks some athleticism in that aspect. It’s more than strength issues, it’s balance and core. He needs yoga and range of motion as much as anything else it seems sometimes.

They do both have/had the ability to be knocked over by the gentlest touch or in Necas’ case the air his speed moves nudging into him.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
To be fair Necas is an unbelievable skater who is too fast for his own good and has had to learn to control himself while gaining some needed weight to dig in on those edges a bit.

Koko is basically the opposite. He has the weight, he has pretty slow feet and lacks some athleticism in that aspect. It’s more than strength issues, it’s balance and core. He needs yoga and range of motion as much as anything else it seems sometimes.

They do both have/had the ability to be knocked over by the gentlest touch or in Necas’ case the air his speed creates nudging into him.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that KK will see a growth spike this offseason. First time he's really been able to enter a summer fully healthy and able to go through the entire workout regiment. I suspect that he's going to come into camp this fall looking like a completely different player. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him much stronger on his skates, even if he never becomes a nimble or fast skater.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I've got a sneaky suspicion that KK will see a growth spike this offseason. First time he's really been able to enter a summer fully healthy and able to go through the entire workout regiment. I suspect that he's going to come into camp this fall looking like a completely different player. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him much stronger on his skates, even if he never becomes a nimble or fast skater.
Strong on his skates makes him a completely different player. Makes him an effective net front on the PP. Makes him a strong C as the secondary rush with a wing like Necas (if he stays at wing) or Svechnikov carrying in the puck.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Fingers crossed. Seems like KK might not be adverse to assuming a more physical role, beefing up would help him on that front, as well.

Reactions: DaveG

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
the Kotkaniemi thread has become a Montreal Head Coach discussion. but they arent obsessed with us at all.
Boston fans on social media definitely aren't obsessed with us either. Funny how they can only resort to personal attacks against the fanbase, individual fans, and the players when they got eliminated by our team. One of them on Twitter with me was going full edge lord saying he was happy to see Rantaa get injured, and then proceeded with low tier trolling. Lol.

Reactions: DaveG and murrough

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
A guy on the Athletic just said Kotkaniemi isn’t a good hockey player bec he can’t play winger.

Uhhhh okay Wayne Gretzky thanks for letting me know a NHLer isn’t good at hockey. That guy could only wish he wasn’t that good at hockey

Reactions: DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The thing with most big body forwards is they take longer to develop. Particularly centers. I'm not overly concerned with KK, as he actually looked pretty positive in most of my viewings. Defensively, he isn't a worldbeater, but he was better than I imagined he would be this year. He is physical, aggressive, and can be a net-front guy. We really, really, really need that.

Many players just get better by being in the same role and not on a short leash. Kotka will still have his warts and will take some penalties for being too aggressive. If we recall, he looked really good during his short stint at 2C when half the team got COVID. It's totally within the realm of possibility that Kotkaniemi will be a good #2C for us long term, and it's really likely that he is at least a 3C. His contract pays him like a 3C, so I ain't too worried about the money. He won't get better role models for learning and growing than on Carolina where he can lean on Jordan Staal and Rod Brind'Amour.

I honestly think our best move for the forwards this offseason is to go 1) Aho 2) Staal 3) Kotkaniemi 4) Drury and see how they fall. It is a downgrade from Trocheck, but I just think our money will be better spent on the wing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm sure Chad LaRose and Patrick Dwyer would each be a "Rod guy" as well (as is Martinook). Doesn't mean I would want them signed long term if they were in their prime today.

Granted, Kotkaniemi has more skill and potential, but I wasn't in favor of the move to offer sheet Kotkaniemi from the start. I'm lukewarm on the extension, although if my understanding is correct, a buyout down the road isn't terrible so it's not a huge risk.

That said, I've seen some flashes from him and if he can work on his lower body strength and skating, I think he can be an effective 2nd line player, but he has to improve in those areas IMO to reach his potential.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm sure Chad LaRose and Patrick Dwyer would each be a "Rod guy" as well (as is Martinook). Doesn't mean I would want them signed long term if they were in their prime today.

Granted, Kotkaniemi has more skill and potential, but I wasn't in favor of the move to offer sheet Kotkaniemi from the start. I'm lukewarm on the extension, although if my understanding is correct, a buyout down the road isn't terrible so it's not a huge risk.

That said, I've seen some flashes from him and if he can work on his lower body strength and skating, I think he can be an effective 2nd line player, but he has to improve in those areas IMO to reach his potential.
A fair take. My point isn't that he's good. My point is that they think he will play the hell out of the Rod style. I think he will. That may or may not actually result in success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad