Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I also agree he isnt meant to become a Eric Lindros, I swear players are obsessed with bulking up but it just aint productive all that much in pro hockey. Guys need to get strong but not at the cost of speed and quickness.
Agreed, especially in today's league. That's why I question management's guidance.

Reactions: Monsieur Patate

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
There isnt a need to bulk up the upper body much for a forward. Defenceman need a strong bench to move forwards from the front but forwards need to dig in and use their legs. Its core and leg strength for most positions in hockey.

Although as a side effect, your other muscles do grow just from virtue of the movements you are doing and you need to train some so they don't create imbalances
You need to train your upper body for hockey to developp your shot and being strong on your stick, and it IS an important part of the game for scoring forward, so there's that, and weve seen him taking great shots, what I think was a flaw in his game was bad positionning and losing 1v1 battles in the D zone, and being soft in general, not the kind of guy that was promised, a pure center he might not be.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I also agree he isnt meant to become a Eric Lindros, I swear players are obsessed with bulking up but it just aint productive all that much in pro hockey. Guys need to get strong but not at the cost of speed and quickness.

Bulking is the dumbest shit to do in hockey. being heavier doesn't mean being stronger neither harder to push. EVERY single player should be proning Strenght conditioning/Explosive training and balance program, Eat healthy sligthly above their calories outtake. You don't put fast mass, but you slowly put effective and quality weight while always being comfortable in your body.

I'm blown away everytime i hear organisation or medias talk about player gaining 15-20lbs in a offseason in 2020. It NEVER EVER WORKS.

Reactions: crosbyshow

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he's flying over then I fully expect him to play in some role, hopefully they put him in a good spot and don't dick around with him.

I think the Habs play him with Drouin and Armia

Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Byron / Domi / Suzuki * Domi and Suzuki share the center role
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Lehkonen / Evans / Weal or Weise

Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Mete / Juulsen

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
My point is the kid was sent down because his game wasn't there yet, he needed alot of quality ice, perhaps an other off season to work on his strenght. He got sent down for 13 games, had a good stint but ended up with a pretty serious injury. first of all he hasn't played any hockey since his injury. He won't be stronger than he was before his 13 AHL game and you send him to war in playoffs hockey? i'm sorry but it's ridiculous. They sent him down for reason.

They sent him down cause 20 minutes a night in the AHL was better for development than 4th line NHL ice time.

Now, since there is no AHL, the question is ... is it better to play 4th line or not play at all for his development?

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
They sent him down cause 20 minutes a night in the AHL was better for development than 4th line NHL ice time.

Now, since there is no AHL, the question is ... is it better to play 4th line or not play at all for his development?
If he can play, yes, it's better that he does.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If he's flying over then I fully expect him to play in some role, hopefully they put him in a good spot and don't dick around with him.

I cant imagine he wont play

I suppose if he sucks the big ones at camp and is completely out of shape, sure you lose your spot

But in general - the plan is to play him. I agree with you- hopefully in a good spot too

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

From that:

At the time of his injury, Kotkaniemi’s game had gone to another level with the Rocket, according to Joël Bouchard back in mid-May.

“Unfortunately, at the time he got hurt, his game had gone up more than a notch,” Bouchard said. “He was honestly dominant in certain aspects of the game that we knew he was able to do, but also some aspects where he was a bit more deficient.”

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Oh yea. He was playing such great hockey before he got hurt. Some might have seen him being sent down to the AHL as a step back. But the truth is, it was a step in the right direction.

Every time he was on the ice, things were happening. He was creating.

The consensus I got, especially here on this board, was that the majority here wanted Kotkaniemi sent to Laval long before the Habs eventually did end up sending him down.

Kotkaniemi just didn't look like he belonged in the NHL for most of the games he dressed for the Habs this season and he really struggled to keep up. Sending him to Laval was definitely the right call playing under the current coaching staff down there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The consensus I got, especially here on this board, was that the majority here wanted Kotkaniemi sent to Laval long before the Habs eventually did end up sending him down.

That is why I said some. There were posters that looked at sending him to the AHL was proof that the Habs made the wrong pick, particularly when they'd see players like Tkachuk and Hughes, who were picked after Kotkaniemi, and were key pieces to their NHL team.

Reactions: dralaf

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If KK shows up and looks like he’s fixed strength/balance issues and is the player we all want him to be- do we feel differently about beating Pittsburgh?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If KK shows up and looks like he’s fixed strength/balance issues and is the player we all want him to be- do we feel differently about beating Pittsburgh?

no way, we must lose no matter what, either we get 1st or 9th OA, we badly need to find a scoring winger to add to Caufield and maybe Ylonen if he pans out.

They can worry about the playoffs next year, as I could see MB with all those damn picks (25) for this and next draft, along with having cap space this year (though he has to be very careful since next year he's got all those UFA's to pay) that he does something to help the team much more then he's done the past 2 years which is next to nothing outside of getting Chiarot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It won't change the desired outcome. I'd rather pick 1st or 9th than enter the playoffs. If they do play and Kotkaniemi shows clear improvement, then it will be even more encouraging for next year.

But for the organization, knowing that they can pick Top-10, I'd rather them have at least another draft of picking this high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad