Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
In fact, nobody can shut down Matthews in regular season. AM is a generational phenomenal, despite what his haters will say. But Phil did shut him down in PO. And Phil shut down McDavid and Drasaitle in regular season. It's not a perfect score in shut down role but it's elite nhl in that role.

History shows that Matthews shuts himself down in the playoffs. Evans can do the same, I’m sure.

And McDavid had some pointless games against the Habs, but had 10 points in his last 4 games against them, so no, Danault didn’t shut him down much.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
History shows that Matthews shuts himself down in the playoffs. Evans can do the same, I’m sure.

What about Wheeler, Connor, Stone, Patches....

And McDavid had some pointless games against the Habs, but had 10 points in his last 4 games against them, so no, Danault didn’t shut him down much.

Danault 5 on 5 all season against.....

Matthews on 2GF 3 GA
McDavid on 4GF 4GA

No point in blaming Danault for goals he wasnt on the ice for, cause that would be crazy
Both were non factors against Danault. Moving on.

Evans has shown capabilities to play against top end players, well see if it was because he was surrounded by good defensive depth, flash in a pan, or if he's a legitimately a good shut down guy. Doubt it will be all on him as Dovrak has shown strong defensive acumen as well.

Even KK was developing nicely defensively to take on these minutes, its a shame he's gone

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Looks like the opinion of a blind man, lol. Or someone who doesn't want to SEE.

Reactions: the

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
690 IS now all saying KK had to go... what one week does for media guys
They were hilariously unanimous that the Habs should/would match, when it was obvious right from the start that it's a longshot at best.

I sometimes think the average HFboards poster puts more thought into analyzing things than those guys. And it's supposed to be their profession.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They were hilariously unanimous that the Habs should/would match, when it was obvious right from the start that it's a longshot at best.

I sometimes think the average HFboards poster puts more thought into analyzing things than those guys. And it's supposed to be their profession.
To their defense, it was tough to not match if he's not bringing in Dvorak.

But yeah in general their opinions are not that better than a regular poster around here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ppl says constantly Dvo is Danault's replacement. I don't think so. Evans is Danault's replacement and Dvorak replace the player Kotkaniemi was supposed to become in 3 years. If Evans or the other centers (Poeh, Paqu and Perreault) does not fill the shut down role, Habs are in trouble because the lines of Suzuki and Dvo will have to take that role. It might make them tired at the end of the season and their offensive game will suffer. The D will suffer too if none of the Ev, Poe, Paq or Per can play the shut down role Dano was doing.

Agreed.

* Eller was traded cause Danault showed promise.
* Danault was let go cause he was asking for too much and Evans showed promise.
* KK didn't have a full time spot nailed down and many of us had him listed on the 2nd line. But even before the offer sheet, we were still looking for center upgrades.

Basically, we choose the better fit for 3C (Evans) vs Danault who was wanting us to pencil him as the 2C. Canes forced our hand or did us a favor and created a road where we had to trade for Dvorak.

Suzuki and Dvorak are 2A and 2B IMO. Suzuki is not some sure shot #1C. He has to put up 60-80 pts before I classify him as that. Right now, I would say fringe 1C or elite 2C (25-40 range for centers). Evans slides into 3C and make no mistake, management is high on the kid

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Agreed.

* Eller was traded cause Danault showed promise.
* Danault was let go cause he was asking for too much and Evans showed promise.
* KK didn't have a full time spot nailed down and many of us had him listed on the 2nd line. But even before the offer sheet, we were still looking for center upgrades.

Basically, we choose the better fit for 3C (Evans) vs Danault who was wanting us to pencil him as the 2C. Canes forced our hand or did us a favor and created a road where we had to trade for Dvorak.

Suzuki and Dvorak are 2A and 2B IMO. Suzuki is not some sure shot #1C. He has to put up 60-80 pts before I classify him as that. Right now, I would say fringe 1C or elite 2C (25-40 range for centers). Evans slides into 3C and make no mistake, management is high on the kid
If Danault wants to be #2 center, he will be disapointed when he will face the best centers again. With a lot of ice time, calling him a #3 center when in reality he plays as many minutes as Kopitar, someone have to explain what is a #2 and what is a #3 center. And who on the LA roster can play the shut down center role? The last years, they all have poor numbers and end up season in the minus. But they have interresting prospects. Interresting prospects to improve in 2 or 3 years, we'll see.

Now, saying Habs management are high on Evans to fill #3 role, it's true. I see some potential but I see he's tiny and fragile too. I don't think it will be successful switching from Evans, Paquette, Perreault and Poehling to fill that role. I guess Habs will have that extra cap to get a player ala Bozak if things don't work well. If that happens, this board will be bitter and angry, again.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

lol that's not their profession, they're profession is an entertainer and to stir controversy tho

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
I cant not tell KK is a bust but the guys who were picked before and after him get both 8M contract for many years while he got 6M for 1 year

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Can't wait for KK's first game in the Bell Center and how loud the boos will be. Wonder if it throws him off or if he plays better? Can't imagine he won't be given the puck on every shift to try and stick it to his old team. Just wonder which D will blow him up in the corner. Kind of hope it's Romanov but likely Savard.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Can't wait for KK's first game in the Bell Center and how loud the boos will be. Wonder if it throws him off or if he plays better? Can't imagine he won't be given the puck on every shift to try and stick it to his old team. Just wonder which D will blow him up in the corner. Kind of hope it's Romanov but likely Savard.

I wonder how many times he will fall during the game:laugh:

E26pEAIVgAAmMyL.jpg

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
But but but, Don Waddell told everyone that the signing bonus was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with Aho and the offer sheet from a few seasons ago :huh::huh::sarcasm:
Really? Maybe at the very start, but pretty sure it's been said multiple times in multiple places by now that part of the offer was for social media reasons, aka 'trolling for hits'.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
LOL ouch...was not ready to see KK in those colors lol hadnt sunk in until just then its BEYOND SURREAL he is no longer on the team lol, just WOW was it ever out of NOwhere

I usually have this thing where if you leave the habs, I dont give you your nickname anymore when addressing (take that! :laugh:), but f*** typing Kotkaniemi everytime lol

Reactions: JAVO16 and A55P2

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If Danault wants to be #2 center, he will be disapointed when he will face the best centers again. With a lot of ice time, calling him a #3 center when in reality he plays as many minutes as Kopitar, someone have to explain what is a #2 and what is a #3 center. And who on the LA roster can play the shut down center role? The last years, they all have poor numbers and end up season in the minus. But they have interresting prospects. Interresting prospects to improve in 2 or 3 years, we'll see.

Now, saying Habs management are high on Evans to fill #3 role, it's true. I see some potential but I see he's tiny and fragile too. I don't think it will be successful switching from Evans, Paquette, Perreault and Poehling to fill that role. I guess Habs will have that extra cap to get a player ala Bozak if things don't work well. If that happens, this board will be bitter and angry, again.
Evans tiny and fragile? He is 6ft and `190 lbs......................Dano was 6 ft 1 and 200 pretty much the same right there...
Evans plays a more aggressive, reckless game, and will gladly take a hit to make a play....which leads to injuries.
Also, Bozak has signed with the Blues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad