Recalled/Assigned: Jesper Fast

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why do people always do this: when we are discussing the style of play, someone charges in to say that the player is better or worse. Whether the player is better or worse is IRRELEVANT, we are discussing the style of play.

Do you not see how you are putting your own IQ in doubt by being unable to figure out style vs. quality?

The best comparison I have to Jesper Fast is Jesper Fast.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If he is to be a 70 pt scorer that would be great. Don't think the upside is that high.

I see a solid 15-20 3-zone winger that plays a mistake free game rather than a 25-45 top line or top 6 scorer.

If he was or is better than Hagelin currently he'd have been up for the entire season and have an Olympic silver medal around his neck. Just my perspective of of course. Hype train on HF going full steam.

People still talk about "70 point scorers" like this is the 1980's.

In this day and age, you are elite if you break 70 points.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The player he reminds me of the most is Nyqvist - quick, quick, quick with incredible vision and hockey IQ. He's a bit more of a playmaker and probably a superior defensive player while Nyqvist is more of a natural goalscorer.

Obviously Nyqvist is a couple of years older and has taken an extra step in his development - hopefully Jesper gets there too over the net 2-3 years. I think he'd already be closer if not for the injuries.

I would really like to see Fast put on some strength and shoot more, but those are my only criticisms of his game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fast doesn't shoot enough. He seems to shoot the puck on net when the %'s are really high. 76 shots on goal in 48 games. He does have 17 goals. That's somewhere around a 22%--shooting percentage.

From the preseason and first several games of the season--he is a very smart player with a rounded game. Very calm with the puck. Not a guy who panics with the puck--someone who is always looking to make the best play.

I think shot percentage is overrated. Richards shoots a lot, but misses the net more often than not.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think shot percentage is overrated. Richards shoots a lot, but misses the net more often than not.

The point of which is?

When I say he doesn't shoot enough--he's averaging about 1 and a half shots a game on net in Hartford. There's an old adage that if you don't shoot--you're not going to score. Hagelin for example who doesn't shoot a lot is averaging close to 2 shots a game. To be any kind of goal scoring threat at the NHL level you're going to have to put pucks on net. So I do think it's something he needs to do more and yeah his shooting % likely won't be that high the more he shoots.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The point of which is?

When I say he doesn't shoot enough--he's averaging about 1 and a half shots a game on net in Hartford. There's an old adage that if you don't shoot--you're not going to score. Hagelin for example who doesn't shoot a lot is averaging close to 2 shots a game. To be any kind of goal scoring threat at the NHL level you're going to have to put pucks on net. So I do think it's something he needs to do more and yeah his shooting % likely won't be that high the more he shoots.

And still he scores enough in HFD. Let's just see how he does before judging him.

FirstSwitch

Apr 23, 2012
Really glad he get's the chance again, hope he make a good game and show how speedy fast he really is.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And still he scores enough in HFD. Let's just see how he does before judging him.

I wouldn't quite call it judging him--I'd call it pointing out an area that could use some improvement and I'd hardly consider what I said as being in any way controversial. One and a half shots average a game for a scoring forward is low--really low. I already pointed out in a previous post today how savvy and calm he is with the puck and that his game is well rounded.

Then you pointed out shooting % doesn't mean a thing but when you're not taking a lot of shots it actually means more. As well to point out an AHL goalie is not usually the same as an NHL one. And what Richards has to do with this all I'm still trying to figure out.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Where did I say he is going to be Loui Eriksson? I said he plays like Loui Eriksson moreso than Hagelin.

Where did I say he was better than Hagelin currently?

In the previous post I quoted you I read Loui Eriksson, who to me is front line winger.

On Hags, it wasn't you but another poster.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The player he reminds me of the most is Nyqvist - quick, quick, quick with incredible vision and hockey IQ. He's a bit more of a playmaker and probably a superior defensive player while Nyqvist is more of a natural goalscorer.

Obviously Nyqvist is a couple of years older and has taken an extra step in his development - hopefully Jesper gets there too over the net 2-3 years. I think he'd already be closer if not for the injuries.

I would really like to see Fast put on some strength and shoot more, but those are my only criticisms of his game.

If Hagelin could handle the puck and snipe it and had a higher hockey IQ, you'd have Nyquist.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I always lol at the idea of a "70 point second line center." Even in the 80s, a 70 point scorer was a first liner. Today he is a flat out star.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I wouldn't quite call it judging him--I'd call it pointing out an area that could use some improvement and I'd hardly consider what I said as being in any way controversial. One and a half shots average a game for a scoring forward is low--really low. I already pointed out in a previous post today how savvy and calm he is with the puck and that his game is well rounded.

Then you pointed out shooting % doesn't mean a thing but when you're not taking a lot of shots it actually means more. As well to point out an AHL goalie is not usually the same as an NHL one. And what Richards has to do with this all I'm still trying to figure out.

I agree with what you said re: Fast completely.

NYRCSKA*

Unless you're Ovechkin, apparently, and then you're valueless.

I would trade Stepan, Kreider, Miller and 1 first round pick from sometime this decade for Ovechkin right now and not think twice about it. Ovie is going to get traded and win some cups on his new team.
We get our goal scorer. We get our toughness. Throw him on a line with Brassard and Zucc and it would just be god like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I would trade Stepan, Kreider, Miller and 1 first round pick from sometime this decade for Ovechkin right now and not think twice about it. Ovie is going to get traded and win some cups on his new team.
We get our goal scorer. We get our toughness. Throw him on a line with Brassard and Zucc and it would just be god like.

:cry::laugh::cry::laugh::cry::laugh:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

so you'd trade a #1 Centerman, a top 6 winger, a top 9 winger, and ANOTHER 1st round pick for a guy who can score 50 goals, but is liable to give up twice as many? Oh wait, forgot he has a 9.5M cap hit too.

are you crazy?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

This might be the worst post on all of HFNYR, and that's one ****ing hell of an accomplishment.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Fast was kind of quiet last night. Although making it through the game without puking on the ice passes as a quality showing from a prospect these days.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fast looks like a quality trade asset to me.

Why trade him? Next season, we look to have the top6 sorted. Fasth is a great asset on the 3rd line for his cap hit. His contract ends, but his new contract won't be that much.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fast looks like a quality trade asset to me.

I'm not sure I understand. The kid is making an incredibly low salary and looks to be either on the cusp, or ready for NHL duty as a 3rd liner. He PK's, he doesn't shy away from contact, he has a very high hockey IQ and feel for the game and he likes to play a style that seems to fit the way the Rangers play currently (puck possession). Why trade him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad