Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Selke Trophy:

10-11: Cally 10th in voting
11-12: Cally 4th in voting
12-13: Cally 8th in voting.

Sorry, but a player who is "Horrible Defensively" doesn't sniff the top 10 in voting for 3 years in a row.

The Selke is horse ****.

Not only that, but Stepan had one of the most defensively dominant seasons in the last 5 years and was only 9th in selke voting in 2013, the award has zero credibility, especially over the last few years.

AdamGravesNight

Sep 23, 2008
Vegas/Jersey/Georgia
nybigblue.com
As a huge wrestling fan all I ever think about when he is on the ice is that his name sounds like "YES", so I always call him the "JES MAN". Kreider-Stepan-Fast (The JES Moevement Line).

He's been getting better and better all season, but his play moving up to the TOP 6 has made Zucca going down almost unnoticeable.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Blocking shots is highly regarded because the Old Boys club running the NHL think this is a sign of 'character' and 'toughness'. Too often that is grouped in with defensive play.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see Fast becoming a top 6 winger. I can see him becoming an excellent 3rd line winger. One major difference for me between him and Callahan is Ryan has always gotten a lot of shots on net. Jesper doesn't really do that.

That being said--he is one player who has really stepped it up for us in the playoffs. There was one play this game where he fought his way from the defensive end of the ice into the offensive end pretty much on his own. He has a lot of composure under pressure and an ability to roll off of hits that is pretty much second to none on the team. He has a very good motor and is adept at making the right play in any given situation--which again speaks to his composure under pressure. An excellent defensive player.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Callahan was an exceptional PKer, and was the hardest working player 5 on 4. Also, who else aside from maybe Girardi would have the balls to dive right into a Zdeno slapshot?

Callahan has balls of steel, no one will ever question that.

He's really not that great of a PK'er though. The Rangers PP actually improved pretty dramatically after they traded him and Tampa doesn't even use him on the PK.

FLYLine24 said:
Selke Trophy:

10-11: Cally 10th in voting
11-12: Cally 4th in voting
12-13: Cally 8th in voting.

Sorry, but a player who is "Horrible Defensively" doesn't sniff the top 10 in voting for 3 years in a row. Look im not saying hes hes a god on defense, but he is absolutely a good defensive player.

Guys gets votes based off of reputation all of the time.

Also think that I should point out that the system that the Rangers had in place for those teams... Blocked shot city.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Callahan was never on the level of Stepan or Nash for that matter when it comes to Selke caliber play.

He was good on the PK and blocked shots, that's not Selke play. Selke play is all of that and being able to force turnovers, use the stick for takeaways, break up plays, move the puck from your own end quickly, and win draws if you're a center. Players who excel in the neutral zone are prime candidates.

AKA Stepan, Nash and now Fast it would seem.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Callahan was never on the level of Stepan or Nash for that matter when it comes to Selke caliber play.

He was good on the PK and blocked shots, that's not Selke play. Selke play is all of that and being able to force turnovers, use the stick for takeaways, break up plays, move the puck from your own end quickly, and win draws if you're a center. Players who excel in the neutral zone are prime candidates.

AKA Stepan, Nash and now Fast it would seem.

Agree with this.

Fast, Moore, Nash, Stepan are all tremendous defensively, I trust them against anyone in the NHL. Fast did a good job against TKO yesterday, positive in possession against all of them and won some big battles against them.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Just based on his positioning alone, I would argue that Fast is already a better defensive player than Callahan. He doesn't have the name or the reputation, and he doesn't block 7 shots per game, but that doesn't take away from how smart he is, and how great he is along the boards.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
It is exciting watching a guy like Fast grow every game . Put him out and you know he has his man at almost every second . I think he will bring the offense up to par over the course of next season with the increased quality ice time . A great young Ranger !:)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Who would of thought Hayes and fast would be the top 2 rw. Zucc out and msl down in the depth chart

Next year I think Lindberg gets 3rd line C looks

bramford

Oct 20, 2011
At times, it seems nearly impossible to take the puck away from him. He never loses a battle along the boards.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
One of the better board players I've seen in a long time. Amazing how he can win battles and keep possession of the puck with one hand on his stick. Very excited to see what the future holds for him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Callahan is also real good at swooping up a loose puck and skating it up a bit to get it out of trouble, I think Cally is very sound defensively.

I think Fast makes some real hardcore Sundatrom like D plays.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wow time flies, this is a 5 year old post:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=29536489&postcount=700

I love the kid, a great pick for sure. I would even say that Fasth is on track to become a NHLer.

He is a very good skater. Think Ryan Callahan for example (more then say Sjöström/Kreider/Semin). He gets in real fast on the forecheck. Offensively, if he gets like a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 he often can use his speed to his advantage and create a little more space then what most players can do.

Fasth isn't very big, but for his age he is actually pretty strong. He takes the body and is good defensively. He'll block shots et c.

With the puck, he has a lot of creativity. He is excellent at finding the trailing player and he can turn a D inside out. He has a decent shot too.

Think of a Swedish Ryan Callahan. I've not seen like offensive goto type of hockey from him. He he has a lot of offense in him, don't get me wrong, but he isn't the type who sets up at the far boards on the PP and bangs his stick against the ice to get the puck. He isn't a Bäckström type. He isn't a Alfredsson type. But he is extremely modern in his style. He works really really hard. He is a good skater. He goes hard to the net. But, in comparision with for example the past generation, he can do everything else, and does, on occasion.

Natrually he is still so young that the above can change. But thats how he projects now IMHO. I would personally rank him just below only our absolute top prospects (MZA, Kreider and Grachev up front). The kid is doing very well in the SEL.

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
His hockey sense in both zones is off the charts. If you're trying to teach your kid how to play, this guy's game is all you need.

Most players can't handle the pace of playing with top 6 forwards, and he's excelling - exciting to watch.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Remember next time someone says, "...or some know it all on HF who thinks he knows as much as a paid scout..." :D

Great job as always Ola, one of this boards MVP's !

Hahaha I always like Ola's analysis, it's never too effusive and seems grounded. Sometimes he has a different conclusion than I but not too often.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hahaha I always like Ola's analysis, it's never too effusive and seems grounded. Sometimes he has a different conclusion than I but not too often.

Think I can count the amount of times Ola has been significantly off on one hand, maybe.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Fast is a better player than Hagelin. A better all around player. The Rangers should put Fast on the PP. Maybe they do not want to give him too much many minutes. He plays on the PK. Stepan and Nash play in both special teams situations. Nash plays on the 2nd PP unit. Stepan does everything. 1st unit PP. 1st/2nd unit PK. The Rangers can use his right handed shot on the PP.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Think I can count the amount of times Ola has been significantly off on one hand, maybe.

Agreed, when he makes a post about a prospect (not just prospects really) that I have not seen, I definitely make note of it. He's been correct about a lot of them.

I have to say he is one that makes reading this board worthwhile.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Thx very much guys, but remember I never dig up posts where I am completely wrong and there's been some of those too... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad