Jersey # for Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Just wondering assuming one of these two players is chosen which numbers do they wear. Would everyone prefer to see Matthews wearing 34 and Laine 29? 34 seems like a weird number to me.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Hoping not 34. But if he already isn't that thrilled about Toronto the last thing to do would be to force a new number on him

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What's the significance of 34 to Matthews?

Once Matthews makes 34 his own it'll be a fine number. Who really cares.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Does Lou still enforce his low number rule?

Its hard to say.
He did say he wanted to steer people away from the honoured numbers, thus making them quasi-retired.

Nylander, Kapanen, Greening all had high numbers.
The honoured numbers definitely have an effect.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Reimer train has left.
The new #34 train is coming.

He will be the best #34 we have ever had...that's right.
He has no issues coming here.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Do we really need a thread to discuss Jersey # - I mean what difference does that make? I really don't care

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Keon's 14, unless someone else has it, can't be bothered to look it up. Only if Lou's enforcing low numbers, otherwise whatever makes him happy

Snap24

Apr 3, 2010
Toronto
Hoping not 34. But if he already isn't that thrilled about Toronto the last thing to do would be to force a new number on him

I'm all for sexy numbers, but if that's what Matthews wants then let him make it his own. Your post is really strange to me though, if there was any indication he doesn't want to be here lets see some evidence, and then of all things I'm a sure a jersey number wouldn't rattle him. Either way 34 looks like the perfect Lou number really. Matthews is going to look good no matter what number he wears, you're going to get used to the way he skates and moves around the ice, that the number will be the last thing I care about.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Who cares as long as he is the #1 franchise centre we need. He can wear a back-up goalie number forever imho.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

It's the number of NHL greats from the past: Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, Ted Kennedy (Leafs). The number is honoured, not retired.

Shwaguy*

Good thing he's gonna be thrilled then.

Not a chance in hell he isn't thrilled about Toronto.

What a ****** narrative people are already trying to create. We aren't the Lightning or Oilers. We're the Maple Leafs. If we want them to stay, our franchise players stay.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Good thing he's gonna be thrilled then.

Not a chance in hell he isn't thrilled about Toronto.

What a ****** narrative people are already trying to create. We aren't the Lightning or Oilers. We're the Maple Leafs. If we want them to stay, our franchise players stay.

Just like Sundin!

O wait

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Great reason. I highly doubt LL interferes with this.

it's in the respectable number range.
not that i really give a hoot becuase it's just a number and I don't know what makes it sexy or what not - but it's not one of those "Oh i wear ___ ___" and it's a vanity number like 77 or something. (not that I know what makes it a vanity number either ;) )

i wonder if they'll have a Matthews 34 Jersey ready for him @ Draft or will it be a draft 16 one. (I only ask because Edmonton had a Oilers 97 one already done up for him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad