Jeremy Rutherford

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
To my knowledge, I thought there was a rumor he spread from the group when Backes was still there, but there could've been another rumor in the late 2010s too
Our hack journalists often talk of locker room problems when team struggles. I think losing makes for grumpy room and guys snap at each other. Winning cures that.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
To my knowledge, I thought there was a rumor he spread from the group when Backes was still there, but there could've been another rumor in the late 2010s too
God only knows how he'd have handled 2003-04, when there was a massive split in the locker room and Quenneville told the guys "this is your problem, you figure it out" and quit on all of them.

And I can't begin to imagine how he'd have covered Shanahan in 1995 and all the shit that happened that season.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I won't die on this hill, but I think Rutherford is just that incompetent that he truly didn't realize the way he tweeted was going to have the effect it did, or that he intended to drum up drama. Its not a defense and I still think he's terrible at his job, but I think he simply doesn't understand how to actually operate more effectively. I don't blame Kyrou one bit for never giving an honest answer to a press question again.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I've had and continue to have issues with JR's work but IMO his muddled track record and patterns of f***uppery is a symptom of the larger issue which is that

1. A sports beat reporter and an accountability journalist are totally different things with different incentive structures, but people don't remember to make this distinction.
2. Among sports leagues, the NHL is by far the least vulnerable to real reporting.

There is an embedded hostility even in a large section of fans that writers have any ability to upset the equilibrium of their favorite team with what they write. The incentive not to upset them crosscuts with the incentive to get clicks in a weird amalgam that generally pisses everyone off, which is what I think has happened here with JR.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I won't die on this hill, but I think Rutherford is just that incompetent that he truly didn't realize the way he tweeted was going to have the effect it did, or that he intended to drum up drama. Its not a defense and I still think he's terrible at his job, but I think he simply doesn't understand how to actually operate more effectively. I don't blame Kyrou one bit for never giving an honest answer to a press question again.

Every Blue should answer every question Rutherford asks "No comment. He's not my coach anymore". Reagrdless of the context.

JR: Hey I'm doing a piece on hockey mom's. What did your mom mean to you and the trajectory of your careeer?
Player: No comment. He's not my coach anymore.

JR: How does the team feel about the trades made at the deadline when you are still in contention?
Player: No comment. He is not my coach anymore.

JR: Army just named the new non-interim coach, and Bannister is going back to the AHL. What are your thoughts on his tenure as the Blues head coach?
Player: I'm just here so won't get fined.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
I honestly don't think that a late day tweet from JR caused everybody to boo at that game - they were giving it to Armstrong too and Kyrou was already on the radar as being the whipping boy for Berube. I think you're overestimating how many people looked at a Twitter post hours before the game that night.

We'll see what happens tonight.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I honestly don't think that a late day tweet from JR caused everybody to boo at that game - they were giving it to Armstrong too and Kyrou was already on the radar as being the whipping boy for Berube. I think you're overestimating how many people looked at a Twitter post hours before the game that night.

This was the best thing to happen to Kyrou in years...I mean that in the best of ways....growth mindset kinda stuff...

Play on #25

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Maybe I am naive. I probably am. If I am asked to comment on a matter, and my first two words on that matter are “no comment”, I’d hold the expectation that I don’t expect anything to be reported on it.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
This, in and of itself, is a problem. JR gets the benefit of the doubt in St Louis because he's literally the only guy doing "reporting" on the Blues and has been doing it for over a decade. I could be wrong but assuming he has a degree in journalism, he should absolutely know how words can be taken in and out of context. He's just bad

I've had and continue to have issues with JR's work but IMO his muddled track record and patterns of f***uppery is a symptom of the larger issue which is that

1. A sports beat reporter and an accountability journalist are totally different things with different incentive structures, but people don't remember to make this distinction.
2. Among sports leagues, the NHL is by far the least vulnerable to real reporting.

There is an embedded hostility even in a large section of fans that writers have any ability to upset the equilibrium of their favorite team with what they write. The incentive not to upset them crosscuts with the incentive to get clicks in a weird amalgam that generally pisses everyone off, which is what I think has happened here with JR.
Yea I get that feeling too and I think it makes the sport less interesting in that sense. Reporters shouldn't be scared to cover a story that is compelling, but we know that relationships can be strained by writing a negative story about someone. I get both sides of that coin.

I don't know, I think that's disingenuous. Armstrong got booed because he fired the coach, and that is just common knowledge among all sports fan (gm fires coach, doesn't sign a player, etc). Some people can claim that Kyrou was being booed because of his performance, but I think people are lying to themselves if they use that reason. He has been a much better two-way player than last year, he's just been so incredibly snake bitten. I'll agree that the amount of people who read the tweet is pretty low, but the propagation of that tweet via social media, news, and talk radio was what spiraled this scenario out of control. JR gave no context for Kyrou's comment, and he only gave it AFTER the fans booed him. You could see the shit stirring online, and I think it's negligent of JR to just allow the festering to continue until game time.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
I don't know what more context is needed when the question was presented and he added that the comment was "blunt".

The last player I saw Blues fans boo in this city was Pronger....it ended up working out for him in the end so we'll see. Maybe Kyrou needed a reason to stay off of social media and now he has a good one.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I don't know what more context is needed when the question was presented and he added that the comment was "blunt".

The last player I saw Blues fans boo in this city was Pronger....it ended up working out for him in the end so we'll see. Maybe Kyrou needed a reason to stay off of social media and now he has a good one.
Huh? There was no context presented by JR. He didn’t tweet the question posed to Kyrou, just his response.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

JR did not present context to the quote. All he did was make Kyrou look as bad as possible because he's a f***ing hack of a reporter.

Also, I remember Pietrangelo going after fans for booing the team either at the end of Hitchcocks tenure or during Yeo's tenure. It was another example of him being a shit captain. Blaming fans for their shitty play.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
JR did not present context to the quote. All he did was make Kyrou look as bad as possible because he's a f***ing hack of a reporter.

Also, I remember Pietrangelo going after fans for booing the team either at the end of Hitchcocks tenure or during Yeo's tenure. It was another example of him being a shit captain. Blaming fans for their shitty play.

THIS ^^^^^^^

Tweet literally had Kyrou on relationship with Berube. Whatever way he answered it it was going to get fan mad (varying degrees depending on how he answered it).

If Kyrou said he was great guy and our relationship was fine. People would have been like LIAR!! You didn't like him. I still think he would have been booed but maybe not quite as bad.

If Kyrou said something like I dislike that man or so on, fans would be like QUITTER YOU GOT HIM FIRED! It would have been the same as Thurs booing wise.

If the whole inteview was posted, people would have seen his comment wasn't as bad as it was. But instead someone was chasing for clicks. You just set the guy up for it. I even heard them say it on 1011 ESPN with BK & Ferriaro sitting next to JR at game and JR thinking he couldn't believe what was happening. I mean what did you expect?????? Fans be like happy for him?!?! I personally didn't like his answer, but it wasn't the worst answer. if you present it with the context of everything.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Maybe I am naive. I probably am. If I am asked to comment on a matter, and my first two words on that matter are “no comment”, I’d hold the expectation that I don’t expect anything to be reported on it.
I took media relations training a number of years ago connected with a job I had and one of the first things they said was to never say "no comment" because reporters will see that the same as refusing to answer the question and allow speculation, giving them full control of the narrative. There is no expectation of some sort of media right to remain silent.

Also, even though Kyrou said no comment, he did make a comment (Not my coach anymore).

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
I can't comprehend that the statement "when asked about his relationship with Berube" doesn't qualify as context/the question being asked.

I guess we just have a different understanding of the English language...

Wtf

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I can't comprehend that the statement "when asked about his relationship with Berube" doesn't qualify as context/the question being asked.

I guess we just have a different understanding of the English language...

Wtf

The context is that he was being asked numerous questions all about Berube while he was trying to get ready for a game and he was more so telling JR to f*** off, than making a statement about Berube but you can't see that when he doesn't tell you he was spamming him with Berube questions.

Reactions: Eldon Reid

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
"There’s so much out there about the relationship between you and Berube. Is there anything you would want to say about that?"

Is a different question from.

"How is your relationship with Berube"

Just like

"What were your thoughts on the coaching change? Does it seem like a fresh start?"

I'd a different question from.

What are your thoughts about Bannister

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I find it lazy that JR didn't just give his question he asked followed by the answer. He uses the 1/2 and 2/2 for consecutive tweets and it would've settled the whole discussion there.

On a second note, there is a way Kyrou could've been honest and also given a positive comment towards Berube. He could've just said "I know we've had our issues and we've butt heads, but I respect him. It's our fault he was fired." That's all he really had to say and if asked for elaboration could replied "I'd rather not if that's ok" and that would've been the end of it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
When Rutherford acknowledged Kyrou didn't want to talk about it there was zero reason to then drop Kyrou's response - especially the snipped part - in a X tweet thing formerly known as a Tweet without (1) providing the entire question, and (2) providing the entire response.

I think [hope] everyone agrees that had Kyrou answered that question even partially, even with a response like @ezcreepin suggests, Rutherford would have posted that response on X Twitter TSFKAT as well - probably in a similarly abbreviated fashion, like "it's our fault he was fired," - and fans would have exploded in a similar [or worse] way.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The real issue isn't just JR and his reporting. The real issue is how JR gets paid. He is paid to drum up buzz and have fans to go the site to read his articles and click, click, click.

In order to put food on the table, he has to do things like this. It is a terrible way to go about things, but that is the business model. I don't like what he did to JK, but if his goal was to generate buzz and get clicks, then guess what - he wins.

Heck he even has a thread here on HF dedicated to HIM specifically.

If you are unhappy with how he is reporting, then the best way to show that is to STOP following him and not pay attention to anything he says. Stop complaining about him and ignore him completely.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
The real issue isn't just JR and his reporting. The real issue is how JR gets paid. He is paid to drum up buzz and have fans to go the site to read his articles and click, click, click.

In order to put food on the table, he has to do things like this. It is a terrible way to go about things, but that is the business model. I don't like what he did to JK, but if his goal was to generate buzz and get clicks, then guess what - he wins.

Heck he even has a thread here on HF dedicated to HIM specifically.

If you are unhappy with how he is reporting, then the best way to show that is to STOP following him and not pay attention to anything he says. Stop complaining about him and ignore him completely.
Just don't look
Just don't look

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad