Prospect Info: Jeremie Poirier, D, 72nd Overall

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
+/- is what it is, but from -25 in 64 games last year to +1 in 24, he must be doing something better defensively. Anyone seen him actually play?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
+/- is what it is, but from -25 in 64 games last year to +1 in 24, he must be doing something better defensively. Anyone seen him actually play?
Can’t speak to actually having watched him, but the context seems to speak wonders about his improvement.
2019-20
team average: -8
Poirier: -25 (2nd worst)
2020-21
team average: 0
Poirier: -1 (15th out of 27)

While his scoring has increased, he only went from third to the top scorer on the team. Also it’s not like St. John has become world beaters between seasons, going from 30-33-1 to 12-9-3. Although Francis and their other trade acquisitions has turned that team around going 7-3 since then.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I've been highlight watching Saint John this season and I think he's improved defensively. He still isn't good at it but in the goals against I've seen he's not at fault on nearly as many as he was last year and he's showing a much greater effort to get back on defense when he gets caught up ice. Last year he was absolutely awful defensively. This year I think it's more like not good defensively which is genuinely massive improvement.

I think his skating is overrated when people imagine the kind of player he is. He's not Kylington, he doesn't effortlessly fly up the ice. He also not a bad skater he just needs to work on his lateral mobility, it will make him much better at defending the rush.

His offensive game is genuinely outstanding though. One of the few complaints was that he didn't use his teammates enough and I think he's really improved upon that. He reminds me of prime PK Subban in the offensive zone; he has fantastic hands (like better than most forwards) and a great shot. This season his gravity and vision has set his teammates up for a lot of great shots. He's leading the Seadogs in points the last I checked as an 18 year old dman (who does that?).

He needs to continue to improve defensively to ever have a shot at the NHL but if he can become even average defensively I think he'd be a top 4 d man. He's also still super young, not turning 19 until the summer. He's a true swing for the fences pick and I love that we took a chance on that.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Poirier isnt a great skater?

Yeah I’m going to have to completely disagree with that.
He isn't.

Skip to around 7:30. Additionally if you look at @Dube Dube Doo's post on page one any of the scouting reports that mention his skating call it decent or above average except Consentino.

He's a fine skater. He's not an elite one like Kylington or Brodie and could improve on it. I've watched quite a bit of him since the draft and he's above average, he's certainly not elite. There's times where he comes across as completely sluggish even (a good example is last years top prospect game).

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Calgary Flames 2020 3rd rounder Jeremie Poirier took huge strides this season

It was his offensive game that got him drafted, but after many scouts agreeing that his defensive game that needed work, Poirier made it his mission to improve in that area this season. “I wanted to be more of a complete player, and not try those fancy plays all the time. I’ve been making good steps this year . . . but I wanted to get that flashy style and keep that play with the puck style in my game because that is who I am.”

His offensive game still grew, but his defensive game also took another big step forward. Watching him play, it was clear that he was more aware of his positioning, tracking back, and minding his gaps much more effectively. While a flawed statistic on its own, his plus-minus went from a horrendous -25 to a more reasonable -3 this season. In the playoffs, he finished above water at +2.

Poirier credits his coach for helping him to improve his defensive game. Historically, Saint John has struggled on defence, and particularly in transition. This season they hired former Flames coach Greg Gilbert, who Poirier said inspired him to be a better player. “He’s a defensive coach, and coached in the NHL so he knows how to play there and win there. It was a good opportunity to work with a coach who has this much experience. He’s pretty old school . . . but treated us more like pros and . . . [he] was hard on us… but I appreciate what he did”.

But even more than that, Poirier credited Gilbert especially for taking the time he needed to get better. He mentioned that this helped him become a better player, which should help him take another step forward in his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not going to lie, hearing that Greg Gilbert is coaching two of our prospects, does not instill confidence.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Not going to lie, hearing that Greg Gilbert is coaching two of our prospects, does not instill confidence.
If it were an issue, I doubt Poirier would have explained the situation and relationship as he did. If Poirier feels it helps, it probably does :)

Much better than no coaching.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He isn't.

Skip to around 7:30. Additionally if you look at @Dube Dube Doo's post on page one any of the scouting reports that mention his skating call it decent or above average except Consentino.

He's a fine skater. He's not an elite one like Kylington or Brodie and could improve on it. I've watched quite a bit of him since the draft and he's above average, he's certainly not elite. There's times where he comes across as completely sluggish even (a good example is last years top prospect game).

Not sure why a guy like this chooses to be a dman

sound like the next Kylington. Lots of hype from fans but won’t see much ice time unless his defense improves significantly

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

I think part of what makes his offensive game so special is the extra space that d-men get in the offensive zone to work with. I get where you're coming from though. This year I think he improved a lot in that aspect; he went from horrendous defensively to needs to improve his defensive game.

Reactions: DFF

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

sound like the next Kylington. Lots of hype from fans but won’t see much ice time unless his defense improves significantly

I don’t want to overhype the guy, but he gives me more Fox vibes. Kinda different players, but everyone knocked Fox D game as well and look how he turned out.

I think Oliver should have played way more this season. He’s also gotten a raw deal and now Sutter is going to try and round out his game. So he’s probably going to be cut loose. I think Poirier is so smart and has an elite ability to make plays, he will learn to play D. I could see him on our top pairing in 3 seasons.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t want to overhype the guy, but he gives me more Fox vibes. Kinda different players, but everyone knocked Fox D game as well and look how he turned out.

I think Oliver should have played way more this season. He’s also gotten a raw deal and now Sutter is going to try and round out his game. So he’s probably going to be cut loose. I think Poirier is so smart and has an elite ability to make plays, he will learn to play D. I could see him on our top pairing in 3 seasons.

Hopefully, from the clip it doesn’t even look like he is interested in playing defense. He is young so that can change but the flames are not known for developing players…but maybe you are right, Sutter may change that

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hopefully, from the clip it doesn’t even look like he is interested in playing defense. He is young so that can change but the flames are not known for developing players…but maybe you are right, Sutter may change that

He will need to play D with Sutter running the bench, he only plays guys he can “trust” lol. I don’t think Defence is a priority for many junior players, they just want to rack up points because they’re young.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

So, why did Flames waste a 3rd pick on this guy?
Oh, 3 letters and a bunch of" ......." as in "Tre........."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad