Jeff Schultz

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think so too. It's only temporary. McPhee can't let his guys go. Next summer we sign Schultz for like 1M/2 years after he plays 2nd pairing minutes and has a good +/- with LAK.

No way he gets 2nd pairing minutes in that Kings lineup unless the team plane crashes or something.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Jeff Schultz. Not an NHL player.

It amazes me that the ****ing idiot that thought Jeff Schultz was a top 4 dman worth committing to is still building this team.

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

Jeff Schultz. Not an NHL player.

It amazes me that the ****ing idiot that thought Jeff Schultz was a top 4 dman worth committing to is still building this team.

How many other GMs would have thought the same thing at the time, though? He also got Norris votes the year he signed his contract.

I'm half playing devil's advocate, half getting at the fact that most GMs don't know what they're doing in general.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
How many other GMs would have thought the same thing at the time, though? He also got Norris votes the year he signed his contract.

I'm half playing devil's advocate, half getting at the fact that most GMs don't know what they're doing in general.

It's the idiots from the PHWA who vote for the Norris. I don't put much stock in a guy getting a point or two.

It was pretty apparent that Jeff Schultz was a horrible defenseman his entire career in Washington. A lot of folks here questioned regularly whether he was an NHL caliber player.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
It's the idiots from the PHWA who vote for the Norris. I don't put much stock in a guy getting a point or two.

It was pretty apparent that Jeff Schultz was a horrible defenseman his entire career in Washington. A lot of folks here questioned regularly whether he was an NHL caliber player.

He really wasn't. He fell off a cliff but in the Caps' prime years he was honestly good. There was always a segment that would never except a tall (not big) Dman who didn't hit. The fact that he regressed doesn't all of the sudden make their complaints at the time any less stupid.

Now of course you can say he wasn't worth spending on when the team was so good and you could use more standout skills for that money, but it is what it is. He was never a Slerskine type.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He didn't really regress, its just he lost the 30G Mike Green as a partner, and our plus padding mega offense.

His game never really changed, which was actually the problem.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He stunk, but a good team surrounding him covered up for it.

Liberati0n*

Are the members of the PHWA that much stupider than a good portion of NHL GMs?

He wasn't a "horrible defenseman" and probably still isn't. He's a very limited player but I still think he's an NHL player under the right circumstances. I don't really think he regressed here as much as he didn't grow or, more importantly, adapt to different circumstances. He's an extremely passive person and player, the latter of which is a legitimate problem with his game, but let's not pretend that your opinion of him isn't driven by personal dislike/distaste for how he plays rather than how well.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

He wasn't a "horrible defenseman" and probably still isn't. He's a very limited player but I still think he's an NHL player under the right circumstances. I don't really think he regressed here as much as he didn't grow or, more importantly, adapt to different circumstances. He's an extremely passive person and player, the latter of which is a legitimate problem with his game, but let's not pretend that your opinion of him isn't driven by personal dislike/distaste for how he plays rather than how well.

I don't really care that he's not a physical player. The problem is that he can't skate. He was never good in Washington, he rode Greens coattails and consistently saw his icetime cut or eliminated in the playoffs.

I don't buy that he regressed. He was never effective.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He never developed into anything more than he was in his first game. No improvements. D usually improve until the age 32 or whatever. He never did. The problem, George paid him like he did.

#FlatLineDevelopment

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK

Well the phwa did place ovi as an all star on rw and LW last season...so there's that

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Once upon a time, Jeff Schultz could actually successfully complete a breakout pass. Heck, he even had some stretch passes that sprung Ovie on breakaways (see Ovechkin's hat trick against Pittsburgh in 09-10). He could also take away shooting lanes and would force his player outside. He was a useful player who played big minutes on a good team.

Maybe it was the changes in systems or a loss of confidence or an injury or whatever, but his play definitely declined.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That people are still bringing him up just to bash him is more evidence their opinions of him are personally biased.

Hmm, I can see this confuses some people.

We JUST got rid of the guy recently, and he was controversial to begin with. He has JUST been waived by the team he went to. Today. Which casts further doubt on the judgment of management, which is an ongoing issue.

Not hard to figure out...

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Think it was the 4th goal against the caps in game 1 of the 09 playoffs sums up everything about Jeff Schultz. Callahan (rookie then maybe?) pulls a move that all of us learned when we were young that should never work at the pro level and heads in on goal alone. The best part is if you watch schultz (can barely see him after Callahan goes by) he not only does not recover but immediately blows out a skate and does a back flip. GMGM should be fired for making us suffer Jeff Schultz.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Think it was the 4th goal against the caps in game 1 of the 09 playoffs sums up everything about Jeff Schultz. Callahan (rookie then maybe?) pulls a move that all of us learned when we were young that should never work at the pro level and heads in on goal alone. The best part is if you watch schultz (can barely see him after Callahan goes by) he not only does not recover but immediately blows out a skate and does a back flip. GMGM should be fired for making us suffer Jeff Schultz.

The "broken ankle" play. If you can find the video on youtube with dubbed in audio it's pretty funny (nsfw language, iirc)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't really care that he's not a physical player. The problem is that he can't skate. He was never good in Washington, he rode Greens coattails and consistently saw his icetime cut or eliminated in the playoffs.

I don't buy that he regressed. He was never effective.

Yeah he was always bad. Just more than not playing physical ...he just seemed to lack intensity.

He couldn't shoot (he had a "blast from the past" point shot), couldn't skate very well and never hit.

He was decent when we killed penalties sometimes I guess but thats about it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, it's a serious question. He's gone. He's not coming back. He'll likely be playing in Europe by this time next year

nbtw...its very relevant here. if he fails, it proves McPhee a fool for spending so much time and money on him. if he suddenly succeeds it proves McPhee a fool for not having the proper assets available to develop him for the caps. you know i'm right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad