Speculation: Jeff Schultz Has Requested a Trade

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This isn't entirely true, sure his game did drop off a bit but when it dropped off was when we moved Jaybo and he was asked to play a far larger role. He was never meant to play a top 2 defensive role he was misused in Wash when played like that and he was miss used when he was a top 2 here. He was beyond anything than we could have hoped for before Jaybo was moved we had a top 10 pp and along side Brodie made a very dependable second pairing.

I thought the Wideman signing was going to be a disaster. I really liked the Cervenka signing. Wideman was much better than I expected and Cervenka much worse. You never know how signings will work out. It's why successful teams do much less of it and grow their own much more. I wonder how we're going to like Wideman 4 years from now still, but I was pleasantly surprised this year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I thought the Wideman signing was going to be a disaster. I really liked the Cervenka signing. Wideman was much better than I expected and Cervenka much worse. You never know how signings will work out. It's why successful teams do much less of it and grow their own much more. I wonder how we're going to like Wideman 4 years from now still, but I was pleasantly surprised this year.

There is no team that doesn't sign UFA's or trade for players the successful teams are the ones that have clear plans for players and have a role they know they can fill in.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

To add to the Hudlinator...

By successful teams you mean Pittsburgh in 2009 (Chris Kunitz and Bill Guerin)? Chicago in 2010 (Marion Hossa)? Boston in 2011 (Nathan Horton)? LA in 2012 (Mike Richards, Jeff Carter)?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
To add to the Hudlinator...

By successful teams you mean Pittsburgh in 2009 (Chris Kunitz and Bill Guerin)? Chicago in 2010 (Marion Hossa)? Boston in 2011 (Nathan Horton)? LA in 2012 (Mike Richards, Jeff Carter)?

Yes every team on that list made big moves but had clear plans for the incoming player. If we are smart about our UFA signings we will be fine it is when we just sign player because we can that we get in trouble. Obviously you need a home grown core to be successful not trying to deny that but every team adds a piece they can't grow on their own. Wideman's signing fine because he had a clearly defended role to play but now that we have moved Jaybo I fear he will be in over his head.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
In the Schultz thread in the trade section he said something about Sarich going to the KHL. I think he is seriously misinformed and quite frankly Sarich > Schultz. At least Sarich can hit.

Sarich can hit but is then out of position causing a goal, in the big picture

Breen >>>> Sarich > Schultz.

So why not just play our own player who has earned a shot with the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Oh I am 100% for giving Breen a shot. I would just rather have Sarich than Schultz if that was the only choice is all.

If we do go after a defenseman that can play physical I would consider Clitsome as a possibility.

Cundari also likes to hit, although he is not big, I expect him to platoon with Breen & Smith (or a UFA signing)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I know Breen has the chance to be a good one, but I think you might be over-valuating him and Sarich; in fact, I know you are lol.

If Calgary could get another pick out of Sarich/Schultz deal, they'd be stupid not to do it. Hell they gave away their franchise face away for an almost 2nd round pick and a couple mid to low tier prospects; may as well pay a few bucks, get a Calgary kid and a second rounder this year lol.

Doesn't mean that Schultz is guaranteed a spot; just means he's here in his hometown, and crotchety 'ol Cory's finally gone.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I know Breen has the chance to be a good one, but I think you might be over-valuating him and Sarich; in fact, I know you are lol.

If Calgary could get another pick out of Sarich/Schultz deal, they'd be stupid not to do it. Hell they gave away their franchise face away for an almost 2nd round pick and a couple mid to low tier prospects; may as well pay a few bucks, get a Calgary kid and a second rounder this year lol.

Doesn't mean that Schultz is guaranteed a spot; just means he's here in his hometown, and crotchety 'ol Cory's finally gone.

Schultz can't skate in Hartley's system that makes him as good as useless. Sarich can barely skate and his hitting has become a problem which makes him useless. If we are going to give someone a shot why not Breen, Carson, and Cundari. We know that Schultz doesn't fit our type of system regardless of where he is from lets not waste cap space unless we are getting at least a 3rd rounder.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Schultz can't skate in Hartley's system that makes him as good as useless. Sarich can barely skate and his hitting has become a problem which makes him useless. If we are going to give someone a shot why not Breen, Carson, and Cundari. We know that Schultz doesn't fit our type of system regardless of where he is from lets not waste cap space unless we are getting at least a 3rd rounder.

When I was running down my list of trade targets, I most definitely thought of Washington; and one name in particular: Tomas Kundratek. He played a few games for them this season, seemed to pick his game up in the later portion of his stay in the NHL.

Along with Jeff Schultz, this is the type of trade that most people are hoping Feaster can actually pull off. Caps have 5 million in cap space next season, which is, poor considering they have to increase the pay of another Calgary-connected D-man this off-season, as well as try and get Ribeiro back. They pay Schultz 2.75 million to hang out in the presser; he brings absolutely nothing to their team at this point of time.

I would be more than down for something like:
Schultz, Kundratek + 2nd cap dump (nothing longer than 2 years) for a bag of pucks and someone like Howse + throw in.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
This isn't entirely true, sure his game did drop off a bit but when it dropped off was when we moved Jaybo and he was asked to play a far larger role. He was never meant to play a top 2 defensive role he was misused in Wash when played like that and he was miss used when he was a top 2 here. He was beyond anything than we could have hoped for before Jaybo was moved we had a top 10 pp and along side Brodie made a very dependable second pairing.

Well he had 3 goals and 10 points in his first 13 games as a Flame.
The remaining 33 games he played this season he had 3 goals and 12 points, which prorated is under a 30 point pace for the season (Jay Bouwmeester type numbers).

Dennis Wideman did not play a single game this season with under 21:30 minutes of icetime. Those are top pairing minutes no matter how you slice it. I agree that he is a strong second pairing guy, but the fact is that we don't have the depth here to shelter his minutes. That is where the problem lies. Hopefully that gets addressed here either internally or via trade.

I am not saying he is an awful player, but he has some extreme shortcomings as a player defensively and is not worth the 5.5M dollars a season that we pay him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

As was I. I was completely wrong on basically all major signings; Wideman was good, Hudler was good, Cervenka was bad (although I think he still had promise if he stuck around another season).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well he had 3 goals and 10 points in his first 13 games as a Flame.
The remaining 33 games he played this season he had 3 goals and 12 points, which prorated is under a 30 point pace for the season (Jay Bouwmeester type numbers).

Dennis Wideman did not play a single game this season with under 21:30 minutes of icetime. Those are top pairing minutes no matter how you slice it. I agree that he is a strong second pairing guy, but the fact is that we don't have the depth here to shelter his minutes. That is where the problem lies. Hopefully that gets addressed here either internally or via trade.

I am not saying he is an awful player, but he has some extreme shortcomings as a player defensively and is not worth the 5.5M dollars a season that we pay him.

He played an average of 3:30 on the pp so he wasn't seeing always playing 20+ of 5v5 like Jaybo was. I never said he was worth 5.5 (I would argue last year he at least lived up to that number) but we all knew we were overpaying to get him. His defensive game isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be he is decent defensively but it shows how good Jaybo really was when you compare the 2. I am hoping we can find a way to get a phyiscal top 4 defenseman and play

Gio - Brodie
Physical top 4 - Wideman

to use him properly. If we are going to try and force him into a top 2 role he will fail but he should never be forced into that role like Stajan should have never been forced into the #1 centerman role. We can't expect a top 4 defenseman who is here to run the pp to be a top 2 defenseman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought there was a thread about Sarich signing with the KHL? Maybe I dreamt it. :laugh: I know Cervenka and Babchuk both are... In any case, I sure hope he's leaving.

There was an article saying that a new KHL team contacted Sarich as well every other NHLer of Croatian decent.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
No thanks.

But I was a big fan of his brother Ian Schultz when he played for the Hitmen. He's MTL property from the Halak trade. I'd like to have him in the Flames system for damn sure. He and Michael Stone are two ex-Hitmen I'd like to have on the team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wow Hudlinator, you are hilarious. How many current NHL Dmen have been +50 in a season? One of them is Jeff Schultz.

It's one of those things where that stat is misleading as hell btw, his goal against/game were ridiculous if I remember correctly.

I'd take him, if all it cost was Sarich, or if we increase it to a random prospect for him and one of their higher end D prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: