Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Jeff may not be able to say his team won the Stanley Cup before the end of his career , which is fine. A lot of good players never do. He will, however, be able to claim a close 2nd. He played deffence on the Hab’s roster during the 18/19 season in the NHL.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Jeff may not be able to say his team won the Stanley Cup before the end of his career , which is fine. A lot of good players never do. He will, however, be able to claim a close 2nd. He played deffence on the Hab’s roster during the 18/19 season in the NHL.

And survived ! (Hopefully,knock on wood)

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Jeff is an excellent 2nd pairing D-man. Unfortunately for him and the Habs he is forced into a 1st pairing role but in his proper place, he is great for a contending team.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
I don't believe he played a good game with Weber in the lineup last season. He started playing great once the season was over, when he was allowed to go on offense with reckless abandon, which I don't think will happen on a Claude Julien team in meaningful games.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Petry is underrated in the sense that we couldn't possibly get anything more than a 2nd and 3rd for him?

Great to know... or we knew that before?

Who's underrating exactly?

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't believe he played a good game with Weber in the lineup last season. He started playing great once the season was over, when he was allowed to go on offense with reckless abandon, which I don't think will happen on a Claude Julien team in meaningful games.
He was also stuck playing with Alzner when Weber was in the line up, hard to look good under such circumstances

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Jeff is an excellent 2nd pairing D-man. Unfortunately for him and the Habs he is forced into a 1st pairing role but in his proper place, he is great for a contending team.

I think if he had a stud defensive dman as his partner (a la Vlasic, Suter), his production would explode and people would see him as a legit top pairing dman. Unfortunately the Habs nowhere near having that kinda partner for Petry.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think if he had a stud defensive dman as his partner (a la Vlasic, Suter), his production would explode and people would see him as a legit top pairing dman. Unfortunately the Habs nowhere near having that kinda partner for Petry.

Agreed. Heading into last year, I thought Alzner would be a good fit for him on the 2nd pairing and allow him to join the rush more. However, Alzner is just not that good. Who was the best pairing for Petry over the years? Markov typically played with Subban or Weber and I guess Beaulieu was Petry's typical partner? Or I guess, he never had one constant partner with the Habs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
sure, but he also showed he had trouble handling the puck-moving duties by himself

Partially. Its because he's a pretty average passer. He can carry the puck well and makes good passes when in transition. But pairing him with Alzner, who doesn't really manage the puck at all, was always a disaster waiting to happen. Its why, even if you view Alzner as a top-4 D-man (and I don't), he was never going to fit in that role in Montreal. He wasn't going to and didn't work with Petry and he's not going to work with Weber, since neither of them are great passers and Petry can't play his game and cover for Alzner without making mistakes.

Alzner looked ok for most of his tenure in Washington because they always had Carlson and one of Green/Niskanen on the roster when he was there. Plus elite forwards. Having two RHD at all times that can skate, pass and transition the puck well and dominant scorers will help a lot. Montreal has good RHD, but Weber doesn't carry the puck a ton and is a mediocre passer and Petry is a mediocre passer. And Montreal doesn't have the offense either.

Reactions: Peanut

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Agreed. Heading into last year, I thought Alzner would be a good fit for him on the 2nd pairing and allow him to join the rush more. However, Alzner is just not that good. Who was the best pairing for Petry over the years? Markov typically played with Subban or Weber and I guess Beaulieu was Petry's typical partner? Or I guess, he never had one constant partner with the Habs

Problem was Beaulieu had the hockey sense of an Ultimate Frisbee player.

I never found Petry that great defensively, but he isn't a tire fire. I think if we can find a responsible LHD that can actually skate, that would do wonders for Jeff. The irony with Alzner is he had his best possession numbers in the past couple years playing with Petry.

Anyhow, since Jeff will be on the first pair to start the season, most likely Schlemko will be his partner unless Mete impresses again during training camp. I do think Mete would be an ideal partner; good defensively and quick and mobile. However, those two will die as a first pairing most likely as Mete needs more time to develop.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Problem was Beaulieu had the hockey sense of an Ultimate Frisbee player.

I never found Petry that great defensively, but he isn't a tire fire. I think if we can find a responsible LHD that can actually skate, that would do wonders for Jeff. The irony with Alzner is he had his best possession numbers in the past couple years playing with Petry.

Anyhow, since Jeff will be on the first pair to start the season, most likely Schlemko will be his partner unless Mete impresses again during training camp. I do think Mete would be an ideal partner; good defensively and quick and mobile. However, those two will die as a first pairing most likely as Mete needs more time to develop.

I always steer clear of possession numbers as it's skewed based on match-ups and what line mates they are playing with. Alzner also had a decent +/- but we all know how much he turned the puck over. As far as Petry... I think he is solid all around. Not great at one thing but not terrible at one thing either. He just plays a simple game for a big guy and he takes up a lot of space and is a good skater which is important.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Partially. Its because he's a pretty average passer. He can carry the puck well and makes good passes when in transition. But pairing him with Alzner, who doesn't really manage the puck at all, was always a disaster waiting to happen. Its why, even if you view Alzner as a top-4 D-man (and I don't), he was never going to fit in that role in Montreal. He wasn't going to and didn't work with Petry and he's not going to work with Weber, since neither of them are great passers and Petry can't play his game and cover for Alzner without making mistakes.

Alzner looked ok for most of his tenure in Washington because they always had Carlson and one of Green/Niskanen on the roster when he was there. Plus elite forwards. Having two RHD at all times that can skate, pass and transition the puck well and dominant scorers will help a lot. Montreal has good RHD, but Weber doesn't carry the puck a ton and is a mediocre passer and Petry is a mediocre passer. And Montreal doesn't have the offense either.
I guess we have a similar view of what Petry and Alzner bring to the team, but my issue is with the perception of Petry's play trending upward. He became much more aggressive after Weber's injury, adopting a style he had never displayed before, so I fail to see how we can expect him to play like that next season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I guess we have a similar view of what Petry and Alzner bring to the team, but my issue is with the perception of Petry's play trending upward. He became much more aggressive after Weber's injury, adopting a style he had never displayed before, so I fail to see how we can expect him to play like that next season.

Petry probably has to do it again since Weber is out until Christmas, and it worked out pretty well for him last year so why not. I just hope Julien won't try to go all risk free to start the year.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Petry's always been aggressive though. He'll defer to good passers a bit, but he's always liked to take chances to make plays.

Also, Petry's big "trending upward" was not playing with Alzner as much and getting 1st unit PP time. Neither of which should change much next season (especially with Weber out).

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Petry's always been aggressive though. He'll defer to good passers a bit, but he's always liked to take chances to make plays.

Also, Petry's big "trending upward" was not playing with Alzner as much and getting 1st unit PP time. Neither of which should change much next season (especially with Weber out).
With possession of the puck, I'd never seen him be this aggressive with the Habs so I guess we disagree. We'd never seen him carry the puck out as often, even all the way into the high-danger areas in the offensive zone. We'll see how Julien wants his team to play next season with the new defensive coach, but I doubt he wants Petry to rush it up the ice like PK used to.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He’s really good at getting in the zone with the puck on his stick, the problem is once he gets inside the zone he has no idea what to do with it. Similar to when Pk would bring it up into the offensive zone and our whole team would just stop moving and stare resulting in a bad forced pass or shot by the d man.

Watching other teams play you really see the difference in tactics and set plays on zone entries conducted by the dmen. Maybe with another year under julien things can change but we’ve had such a safety first and anti possesion approch to the game in the past few years I just feel like we’ve severely underutilized our Dmen on zone entries and off the rush plays. I suppose that’s a problem for most offensively challenged teams though but I’m not sure if the problem is personnel (our defencemen and forwards) or coaching to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: muzion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With possession of the puck, I'd never seen him be this aggressive with the Habs so I guess we disagree. We'd never seen him carry the puck out as often, even all the way into the high-danger areas in the offensive zone. We'll see how Julien wants his team to play next season with the new defensive coach, but I doubt he wants Petry to rush it up the ice like PK used to.

No coach is going to expect Petry to be a puck mover like PK. You first have to understand Petry's game before you implement him in your coaching strategy. He is not a puck mover, he is a big body that can skate very well and he takes up a lot of space in his own end. He does a lot of things very well but he does makes mistakes at times. He got extra PP time last year when Weber was hurt and the production showed.

What is Petry really good and what is not really good at? When you find the answer to this, you will realize his value.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
No coach is going to expect Petry to be a puck mover like PK. You first have to understand Petry's game before you implement him in your coaching strategy. He is not a puck mover, he is a big body that can skate very well and he takes up a lot of space in his own end. He does a lot of things very well but he does makes mistakes at times. He got extra PP time last year when Weber was hurt and the production showed.

What is Petry really good and what is not really good at? When you find the answer to this, you will realize his value.
which is why I believe his newly-found aggressiveness won't translate to this season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
which is why I believe his newly-found aggressiveness won't translate to this season.

What do you mean about the "newly found aggressiveness" ? Do you think he is playing better or he looks better cause he got more points being used as a top paring defenseman? Personally, I don't see much difference in his game. He just got more opportunity.

Petry's maturity and confidence should not be overlooked either. He is 30/31 this year and when you look at his games played in his NHL career, he has played only two full seasons with the Habs and prior to that, he has a split season with the Oilers/Habs at age 26/27.

Petry is the classic matured later vs early type of player. It happens to so many defenseman in the NHL. His remaining contract from age 30-33 is solid. His style of play and reliability is very much valued by all NHL GM's and coaches.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad