Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part III) RHD for sale

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Like Hughes said... The return value needs to be equal or better. I don't see Petry being moved soon.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Like Hughes said... The return value needs to be equal or better. I don't see Petry being moved soon.

And there is no rush to be honest.

The only thing that worries me is that his demeanor could rub off on some guys. Because aside from his on-ice performances, we can see some red flags off the ice. It started when he criticized the system more than once during his press conferences. Then we know his family stayed behind in the US and his wife has been open about criticizing the mandates by the Quebec/Canadian government. Now the report that he asked for a trade.

So while there is no rush because he still has 3 years left on his deal, if he becomes toxic, then moving him should be a priority.

Hughes did also say that they might have to trade some pieces just to get them off the books and clear some cap space, so the return might not be as good as expected because the gain in the trade is the cap space they clear.

I wouldn't treat Petry as an asset just to clear space. Because he can net you a healthy return.

Reactions: expy and BLONG7

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't see Hughes making major trades this deadline. Maybe only Chiarot.. Unless Petry has demanded a trade? I think 50/50 Lekhonen be moved. That is likely all be done until summer

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hughes did also say that they might have to trade some pieces just to get them off the books and clear some cap space, so the return might not be as good as expected because the gain in the trade is the cap space they clear.
I really hope he meant the Hoffmans of this world when he said that. Dumping assets for peanuts is the best way to botch a rebuild.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
New thread. Possibly the last one for Petry. I'm a huge fan and hate the thought that this fine player may be going out with a whimper. Best of luck to him and his family however it plays out.
Wouldn't hold my breath on this thread being the last. Very doubtful he is moved before the end of the season. Doubtful he's moved after it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the value isn’t there don’t hurry anything. Earn your way out Jeff

Agreed and from the context we have been provided, that's the approach Hughes will take and I believe Petry understands both his situation and the Habs angle. He's disgruntled and has checked out yes but Petry is a pro and he understands we have new management. This process might happen quickly if another team is serious about Petry or it might be delayed more than it was with Patch. Hard to predict

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really hope he meant the Hoffmans of this world when he said that. Dumping assets for peanuts is the best way to botch a rebuild.

I see it more like opportunity. Teams that do full rebuilds decide that when they have easier decisions to make. Habs have a boat load of players we can move for value if we can find the right fit with other teams.

Rebuilding when you have nothing vs Rebuilding when you have assets you can move. The current Habs situation could accelerate a rebuild if we move some guys for youth while we are also picking in the top 10. So yeah, moving guys for peanuts cause we fell like we have too is not something most of us support. Some fans are too emotionally attached to the rebuild but the process we have to take is going to take time.

We do not have a fire sale. Hughes said that himself.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
3 way trade coming up with Petry at the deadline.

Dallas (Klingberg)
Habs (Petry
And one of Carolina or Seattle.

Seattle/Carolina lands Klingberg
Dallas Petry and maybe an extra piece.
Habs get prospects and picks.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I anticipate more of a trade where Petry gets a veteran and a strong prospect (instead of picks). The veteran is a capdump (or borderline) but also a guy that has leadership. Kind of like a Perry type. The value of taking on that dump plus Petry gets us a prospect instead of a pick, which makes his impact sooner. I have more trust in the pro scouting group than the amateur scouting in Mtl.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Petry chickening out from standing up for his goalie could earn him a nickname that endures even after he’s gone. Jeff Poultry? :sarcasm:

As soon as I saw the alert that Runner77 responded to my post in this thread I knew exactly where it was going! :laugh:

I’m certainly not adopting that though.

Reactions: Runner77

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Petry feels ungrateful to me. His career was in a slump before he came to Montréal, now he has a big long contract... and he still manages to whine about it; and of all things, he whines about covid to make it worse. He's bitting the hand that fed him and now it's public so his trade value plummeted. I really hope they don't trade him until they find fair value.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Somehow this famous quote failed to resonate with Petry:shakehead

upload_2022-2-3_11-30-21.jpeg

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Petry feels ungrateful to me. His career was in a slump before he came to Montréal, now he has a big long contract... and he still manages to whine about it; and of all things, he whines about covid to make it worse. He's bitting the hand that fed him and now it's public so his trade value plummeted. I really hope they don't trade him until they find fair value.

He was not in a slump prior to Montreal,he grew his game in Montreal.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Where did he whine about his contract?

The dude is married w kids and his wife wants out of Mtl due to pandemic restrictions..

Lest we forget, Petry waived his UFA rights first time around because his wife fell in love w Mtl and wanted to stay, same reason for waving UFA 2nd time also

It’s a personal choice - no family around a house full of young kids, husband not home majority of the time… 1st world problems but that’s still not easy. It’s good to have options in life!

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I don't know...Of course that's what Hughes said and it certainly makes sense to maximize value, but on the other hand keeping a player like that around doesn't do us any favours either. If there is a deal to be had that makes sense for us, I don't think Hughes will hold out for every last penny. We have to keep in mind that his contract does carry a risk, and clearing cap space and a roster spot is a step in the right direction for the rebuild.

Reactions: vokiel

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t blame you for chickening out of that username although, that is a Petry-like thing to do. :laugh:

Im leaning towards Runner78 on the fateful day Jeff is moved.

Good year for music too, first Devo album, first PIL album (which has some of the greatest and most ripped off guitar playing of all time) to name a few.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2