Jeff Carter VS Nathan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

gretzky99

Both players are first rounders. Both players are centers. There is no doubt that Carter is the better scorer, but can you really look around the Vancouver Canucks' Nathan Smith and his great defensive game?

Who will be the better NHL player?

I think I might have to go with Jeff Carter, however I know this will end up biting me in the ass.

gretzky99

Habsfan 32 said:
Carter all the way in this one. Smith has no offensive upside compared to Carter.

But is offense really everything???

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Kirk Pedersen said:
His puck poise pales in comparison to Dustin Rose and Martin Skoula.
I know, but let's not compare Smith and Carter to the all time greats. The focus here is Nathan "Bullet" Smith against Jeff Carter.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
gretzky99 said:
But is offense really everything???

I know offense is not everything but I was simply saying that Carter was a more offensively gifted player. Don't worry I'd take Smith's defensive skills on my 3rd line for sure.

gretzky99

kmad said:
I know, but let's not compare Smith and Carter to the all time greats. The focus here is Nathan "Bullet" Smith against Jeff Carter.

Kmad. You did it again. How could i have forgotten about Smith's puck poise. Who needs scoring if you have puck poise. Nathan Smith will also step it up and have a fight.

I used to take Carter over Smith, but with this new information I think I am going to change to Smith.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Kirk Pedersen said:
His puck poise pales in comparison to Dustin Rose and Martin Skoula.

Where do these jokes come from? Who invented Dustin Rose? Skoula really doesn't have much puck poise- Why is he always mentioned with 'Puck Poise.'

Also, why does Martin Erat keep being mentioned in threads like this? (He hasen't yet, but it seems like usually he comes up.)

gretzky99

Ryderama said:
Why don'T you compare Mario Lemieux to Turner Stevenson, when you're at it...

Hahah, you are giving Lemieux far too much credit to mention him with "The" Turner Stevenson. I'd take Turner Stevensons "Intangibles" any day.

outKast*

That's a hard one. It depends...

Would you rather have Chris Pronger or Corey Locke?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Quiet Robert said:
Where do these jokes come from? Who invented Dustin Rose? Skoula really doesn't have much puck poise- Why is he always mentioned with 'Puck Poise.'

Also, why does Martin Erat keep being mentioned in threads like this? (He hasen't yet, but it seems like usually he comes up.)

Who invented Dustin Rose?

He was molded by the hands of God, using parts of every champion the History of the World has ever known: Hercules, Achilles, Skoula.

I heard seventeen soldiers braved the Pyramids to raid Tutankhamen's tomb, and put the flesh of the immortal Dustin Rose over the golden sarcophagus to make an impenetrable hockey player.

I also heard some Gretzky stalker stole Gretzky's donation to the sperm bank, and implanted it inside Dustin's DNA, so genetics could take its course for a "born" hockey player.

God also gave him massive beard upside to make Malkin fans jealous.

I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Quiet Robert said:

The Puck Poise comment came from a clown named "KL". Had an absolute crush for Skoula and eventually talked about his puck poise, likening him to Lidstrom. It immediately became a classic. The whole thing was bizarely explained by him. You had to be there to see the numerous backtracks.

KL was an extremely loud, opinionated, and hockey-challenged individual. He is missed for those times when you need a laugh. But he has been replaced! :D

The Dustin Rose incident comes from far back in time. HF wasn't even using this particular software for their message board. It was in 1999, I think. It came from a nuisance going by the name Big Red Machine. You could spot that he was full of it easily but many people actually fell for it.

He began talking about a player he had seen up north. A giant native kid. Each report was extremely detailed and full of savory (read: Pejorative Slured) anecdotes. Like how he went to dinner at Rose's house and ate raw meat. The kid was described as a bigger and most offensive Eric Lindros.

I would say, and I am not bull****ing you here, that something like 50% of HF posters swallowed all of his words. Everyone that pointed out that the story made absolutely no sense was dismissed as a party pooper and asked to leave the threads by others who wanted that vital "information". One poster from the area challenged Big Red Machine, asking for more details on where the games were played, where all this was taking place. Again, he was shut down for a while until the administration got on the case.

Eventually, after several weeks (maybe 2-3 months, maybe more) Big Red Machine admitted this was all an invention.

The prank was really not well done, but illustrate how gullible some people can be. The thing had a cult status the whole time, so it went into HF lore as a joke.

Today, such an incident has very little chance of happening. The new generation of pranksters are those who make much less bombastic claims and provide scouting reports they read left and right or make up.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Did the Skoula puck poise scenario also spawn from that Ovechkin Crosby comparison video which had final fantasy 7 music in it and Crosby and ovechkins eyes turned red and they threatened each other? LOL that was hilarious, and then at the end Ovechkins dominance and Crosbys speed was overshadowed by Martin Skoulas puck poise? Or was this a continuation of KLs theatrics as an ongoing joke?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Eb0la11 said:
Did the Skoula puck poise scenario also spawn from that Ovechkin Crosby comparison video which had final fantasy 7 music in it and Crosby and ovechkins eyes turned red and they threatened each other? LOL that was hilarious, and then at the end Ovechkins dominance and Crosbys speed was overshadowed by Martin Skoulas puck poise? Or was this a continuation of KLs theatrics as an ongoing joke?

That came out a couple years after the initial joke. I'd say the Flash animation was a lot funnier, though.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Eb0la11 said:

It's a continuation.

The puck poise thing happened years ago, long before the Crosby VS Ovechkin debate.

Usually, if someone brings a half-assed explanation as for why a player is amazing, the puck poise thing will resurface.

But it is also brought up in the most gratuitous fashions just for a quick laugh :D

In the case of those incidents, you had to be there to see how crazy it was :propeller

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
King'sPawn said:
I know I'll probably be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I've always thought that if any part of Dustin Rose's game was overrated, it was his beard upside. You used the word ''massive'' to describe it, but I'd say that at most it's decent. I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, but it doesn't hold a candle to Malkin's. Just my opinion, of course.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
King'sPawn said:
Who invented Dustin Rose?

He was molded by the hands of God, using parts of every champion the History of the World has ever known: Hercules, Achilles, Skoula.

I heard seventeen soldiers braved the Pyramids to raid Tutankhamen's tomb, and put the flesh of the immortal Dustin Rose over the golden sarcophagus to make an impenetrable hockey player.

I also heard some Gretzky stalker stole Gretzky's donation to the sperm bank, and implanted it inside Dustin's DNA, so genetics could take its course for a "born" hockey player.

I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you.

So does that make Dustin Rose the hockey version of Serpentor?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
rt said:
I know I'll probably be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I've always thought that if any part of Dustin Rose's game was overrated, it was his beard upside. You used the word ''massive'' to describe it, but I'd say that at most it's decent. I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, but it doesn't hold a candle to Malkin's. Just my opinion, of course.

He was shaving at the age of 2, using the ice skates he just used to skate 200 miles to shave his beard. He needed it that cold to seal up parts of his face to stop the beard growth. Otherwise, he'd trip over his beard during the game.

Since I'm sure you weren't in the Arctic regions at this time, you couldn't possibly have known.

So does that make Dustin Rose the hockey version of Serpentor?
*sigh* you don't get it...

Serpentor is the Joe version if Dustin Rose! :D

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Vlad The Impaler said:
The Puck Poise comment came from a clown named "KL". Had an absolute crush for Skoula and eventually talked about his puck poise, likening him to Lidstrom. It immediately became a classic. The whole thing was bizarely explained by him. You had to be there to see the numerous backtracks.

KL was an extremely loud, opinionated, and hockey-challenged individual. He is missed for those times when you need a laugh. But he has been replaced! :D

The Dustin Rose incident comes from far back in time. HF wasn't even using this particular software for their message board. It was in 1999, I think. It came from a nuisance going by the name Big Red Machine. You could spot that he was full of it easily but many people actually fell for it.

He began talking about a player he had seen up north. A giant native kid. Each report was extremely detailed and full of savory (read: Pejorative Slured) anecdotes. Like how he went to dinner at Rose's house and ate raw meat. The kid was described as a bigger and most offensive Eric Lindros.

I would say, and I am not bull****ing you here, that something like 50% of HF posters swallowed all of his words. Everyone that pointed out that the story made absolutely no sense was dismissed as a party pooper and asked to leave the threads by others who wanted that vital "information". One poster from the area challenged Big Red Machine, asking for more details on where the games were played, where all this was taking place. Again, he was shut down for a while until the administration got on the case.

Eventually, after several weeks (maybe 2-3 months, maybe more) Big Red Machine admitted this was all an invention.

The prank was really not well done, but illustrate how gullible some people can be. The thing had a cult status the whole time, so it went into HF lore as a joke.

Today, such an incident has very little chance of happening. The new generation of pranksters are those who make much less bombastic claims and provide scouting reports they read left and right or make up.

So is it safe to say ALL DUSTIN ROSE'S PUCK POISE ARE BELONG TO US!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad