Player Discussion Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like the idea of Pageau getting the C.

But at the same time, Pageau is most valuable to a team in the post season. I know he loves Ottawa and has a lot of ties here....but the kid could easily gain legendary status playing a few seasons for a contender. That's a nice legacy for a middle 6 type of player.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I would like to keep Pageau, he is exactly the type of hard working, high compete player that Ottawa has stated they want. He is a great role model for all the rookies and incredible on the PK.

I think he would also make a great interim captain, if he re-signs before the end of December. He will be 27 and a UFA this year and if we can’t come to terms he should be traded. I would preferably sign him for 3 years, it makes giving Tkachuk the C easier, but he will probably be looking at 5 years so maybe 4 makes sense.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Pageau isn't big, obviously, but he plays his best (imo) when he plays a heavy forchecking style. Fast and aggressive. Something Smith will supposedly bring back to our style this year. I think Boucher and JGP were just a bad fit and I am expecting a bit of a bounce back from JGP this year. A return to a 40 point player and good on the PK. I still love him as a #3 C, and think he could be just that on a contending team.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He had 15 points in his last 20 games of that season. That’s pretty good for a then 22 year old centre playing with an anchor in Bobby Ryan. Pageau had the benefit of playing with Stone. Pageau wasn’t better than Mika at any point in their careers.

Aware of the points. It’s hard to recall specifics from that season but people wer dissapointed in Zibanejad that season.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Aware of the points. It’s hard to recall specifics from that season but people wer dissapointed in Zibanejad that season.

There were reports and rumours that he wasn't taking hockey that seriously, which I think had an effect on some fans frustration/disappointment level with him that season.

He simply didn't progress as quickly as we had hoped, and due to his perceived laziness or lack of offseason work ethic, fans were a little more harsh on him than say a guy like Couturier.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Last year was supposed to be a big one for Pageau, he was preparing for a chance to seize the 2nd line center role behind Duchene, then disaster struck and his training camp was ended along with half his season before it even started.

Now, the team is again without a #2 centerman set in stone and Pageau is entering a contract year. The stakes for him couldn't be higher, and there won't likely be a better opportunity for him to show what he can provide.

Traditionally Pageau has been used in a shutdown role, but he's shown to have a little more offense in his repertoire than his numbers suggest when given an expanded role.

We also might be tempted to pump and dump him, which could be beneficial for both the team and the player.

So, what kind of role do you see Pageau in this year?

2nd line scoring center? Paired with some offensively capable wingers like Duclair, Balcers, or Ryan?
3rd line shutdown center? Paired with more less offensively gifted, or defensive minded grinder types, perhaps Ennis, Brown, Anisimov?
Something else, like perhaps shifted to the wing?

How many pts will he get? 40+? 30-40? <30?

I expect Pageau to get an A, and be champing at the bit to prove his worth. I think he's got the skillset to thrive no matter what role he's in, and expect him to quickly become one of DJ Smith's favourites. I hope he gets some offensive looks though, if Brown doesn't make the team, I'd like him to get an extended look on the 2nd line.

edit: totally missed that there was already a thread for Pageau, moved my post over here...

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Centre is going to be an interesting position this year. We dont have a 1C per se but arguably we have 4 guys that can play 2C hockey. The lack of a 1C is a weakness, the depth at the position is a strength. And that's without factoring in Brown who is listed at 230 and based on his recent pic looks like a monster.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Screenshot_20190830-233024__01.jpg

Looks like Tierney will be pumped and dumped at the deadline. Pageau isn't going anywhere.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So this guy is back and is a keeper. Adjust your trade dreams, pick your back up trade choice, JPG needs to stay.

What a game!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Keep him! If someone tosses us a #1 that looks like it's in the teens for the loaded 2020 draft then sure, I get it. But beyond the unrealistic offers I say keep him.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I've been wanting Pager to be our next captain since EK left.

Please lock him up before the deadline and sell Tierney. If he doesn't re-sign though, someone will give the equivalent of a first rd pick.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It's crazy to say, but I don't think I'd accept the Brassard package (late 1st + solid prospect) for Pageau at this point. He's so versatile, valuable, and still seems to be growing. Easy to forget he's only 26.

I wonder how much the team would be willing to pay him and how long we'd be willing to go. Would we go 8 years? Would it be silly to do so? Personally, I find an 8yr deal under 4m to be palatable. 6 years, I'd be okay with 4 - 4.5m.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If you can lock up JGP for 3-4 years Uber 5M then sign me up but there could be a cap crunch in 4 years so term worries me.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you can lock up JGP for 3-4 years Uber 5M then sign me up but there could be a cap crunch in 4 years so term worries me.

Byfield - Brown - Pager would be a nice basis at C for a contending team. Out top 7 would be filling out nicely. As you mentioned we have to watch that cap crunch.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Oof, I'm waffling. I like him on the team but this has all the earmarks of a 'sell high' situation. I think it would just come down to what a contract extension would realistically look like.
It would be nice to know what the return would be vs what the contract will be. But we'll never know those variables so it's hard to really make a definitive decision.
Who is coming up from Belleville that can bring what Pager brings? At what point does the board begin to sour on Pageau because he's blocking that player from making the jump simply due to Pageau's new contract extension? Oh the intrigue...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
PAGER for PM if he goes to EDM for their first and resigns with us in the summer. With White making 6x $4.75 there is no way Pager takes less than $5x5.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At the right term and $ no question I would keep Pageau and make an effort to keep him around. I'd move every other vet forward on this team ahead of moving him.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, I've flipped on this one, he's a guy I'd keep. There's a serious lack of a capable vets on this team and he's one of the better players on the roster (and still just 26). This is a team that need to keep it's U27 talent and start building towards something. Keeping guys like Pageau, Namestnikov and Brown around will pay more dividends than the handful of magic beans we'd get for them at the deadline. If he can be a stopgap captain until Brady/Chabot are ready even better. The last thing those two need is the added pressure of captain-ing a Canadian team going through a rebuild.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oof, I'm waffling. I like him on the team but this has all the earmarks of a 'sell high' situation. I think it would just come down to what a contract extension would realistically look like.
It would be nice to know what the return would be vs what the contract will be. But we'll never know those variables so it's hard to really make a definitive decision.
Who is coming up from Belleville that can bring what Pager brings? At what point does the board begin to sour on Pageau because he's blocking that player from making the jump simply due to Pageau's new contract extension? Oh the intrigue...

Agreed.

I really do like Pageau....but man, he is really at his highest value now, and I have some serious doubts about what he will look like at 30. He is an easy player to fall in love with, but also one who could easily end up as the worst contract on the team in 3 years if management uses their hearts instead of their heads.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's gonna be very little incentive for him to sing for 3-4 years. He should be looking for 5 or more. This is his big pay UFA opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad