Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Very normal for a rookie Dman but his 2nd half was kind of awful.

When he first came up he was so rock solid. By the end, I winced when he had the puck.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved this summer. Good player but no real unique traits.

He'll have a tough time getting ahead of our top 6:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Though there may be injuries. But either way, he needs to find consistency. The say NHL dmen need what is it something like 200 games to develop.

Reactions: Canadienna

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He'll have a tough time getting ahead of our top 6:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Though there may be injuries. But either way, he needs to find consistency. The say NHL dmen need what is it something like 200 games to develop.

Most teams play 9 Ds every year. There's plenty of space for a regular 7-8th D. Hutson-Reinbacher might not be ready for a while either. I don't think Savard is going anywhere yet.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Most teams play 9 Ds every year. There's plenty of space for a regular 7-8th D. Hutson-Reinbacher might not be ready for a while either. I don't think Savard is going anywhere yet.
Yes, I was talking medium to long term about Reinbacher takingbover for Savard.

It will be interesting to see if Harris and Struble accept being 7th or 8th dmen, sitting for long stretches when everone is healthy. Kovacevic I think would be ok with that.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yes, I was talking medium to long term about Reinbacher takingbover for Savard.

It will be interesting to see if Harris and Struble accept being 7th or 8th dmen, sitting for long stretches when everone is healthy. Kovacevic I think would be ok with that.

If you look at game played, a lot of Ds got 40 games this year (8)

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

When he first came up he was so rock solid. By the end, I winced when he had the puck.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved this summer. Good player but no real unique traits.

Also keep in mind that he's a college guy used to playing 30 some games a year.

He played 69 this year, which is like double what he would normally play. It's definitely an adjustment to learn how to be a professional, and one of those traits that a good professional has is learning how to manage themselves over a full season.

There's no way to really learn this without just going through the ringer first, and then applying the lessons learned.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you look at game played, a lot of Ds got 40 games this year (8)

Maybe they do keep 8D this year. Especially since we had such a small sample size on Hutson. It's the conservative thing to do, even though I think Reinbacher and Mailloux are likely ready.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron/Harris/Struble/Kovacevic
2 of Barron/Harris/Struble/Kovacevic

Traded: 1 or 2 of Barron/Harris/Struble/Kovacevic

Laval:
Trudeau - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Bisson - Galipeau

Reactions: jaffy27

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Maybe they do keep 8D this year. Especially since we had such a small sample size on Hutson. It's the conservative thing to do, even though I think Reinbacher and Mailloux are likely ready.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard

Laval:
Trudeau - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Bisson - Galipeau
I think Mailloux as Jumped over Barron in the depth chart and sort of expect he will make the team over him next year. It will be fun to see how it plays out. I would not be suprised to see Hutson start in the AHL or if he starts in the NHL to see him have a smaller schedule like 50-60 games.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard

Laval:
Trudeau - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Bisson - Galipeau

Agreed, Trudeau is also pretty close to NHL ready.

I don't think Xhekaj's role is more set than Kovacevic's; Kova is the 5th D, like it or not; only he and maybe Reinbacher can play in the top 4 next year.
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj/Barron/Harris/Struble - Kovacevic

Xhekaj - Struble
Harris - Barron

I think we'll see a trade at the draft or summer for half of these Ds so that Mailloux and Trudeau are called the 9th/10th D.

Barron, for his own sake, needs to be able to play both sides soon.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed, Trudeau is also pretty close to NHL ready.

I don't think Xhekaj's role is more set than Kovacevic's; Kova is the 5th D, like it or not; only he and maybe Reinbacher can play in the top 4 next year.
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj/Barron/Harris/Struble - Kovacevic

Xhekaj - Struble
Harris - Barron

I think we'll see a trade at the draft or summer for half of these Ds so that Mailloux and Trudeau are called the 9th/10th D.

Barron, for his own sake, needs to be able to play both sides soon.

Maybe in your opinion Kovacevic is 5th. But I don't think he is on MSL's depth chart. I think Xhekaj is.

Barron lost his spot to Harris and Struble when he was sent down. But after more development time in Laval, he'll get ample opportunity to win the #6 spot. If he can't do that he'll be #7 or 8, or possibly traded. Hard for me to see Barron beating Reinbacher or even Mailloux right now on merit.

At any rate, HuGo will trade at least one dman this summer, even though I don't think Barron, Strubke, Harris, and Kovacevic have much trade value.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A blogger argues that he should be played on the right and deployed with Arber on a third pair, as Struble is reliable defensively.

Struble played the majority of his NCAA career on the right. When he was forming a duo with Jordan Harris at that time, he was used on the right. On his last NCAA year, he played right.

He was asked last year upon arriving in Laval, if he expected to play the right side given the org’s high number of LHDs. He said that he was comfortable playing both.

Struble’s ability to read plays from the right or left was efficient in the NCAA. Initially, he experienced difficulty in executing his pivots however, Struble overcame it quickly.

I thought the right side would be the best fit for him when he first came up.
His game went to hell when fatigue set in hopefully he can master the 82 game grind next season.
Nice surprise but he's fighting an uphill battle on that left side with Hutson and Engstrom soon to be knocking.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Mailloux as Jumped over Barron in the depth chart and sort of expect he will make the team over him next year. It will be fun to see how it plays out. I would not be suprised to see Hutson start in the AHL or if he starts in the NHL to see him have a smaller schedule like 50-60 games.

I agree that I would project Mailloux to be better than Barron at camp. I'd even project Reinbacher. But both can go to the AHL without going through waivers, and could benefit from more time in Laval.

So, maybe one pushes Barron to the pressbox. But Barron still makes the team, barring a trade. But we'll have to wait until camp to see who's still here and how they play.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard

Laval:
Trudeau - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Bisson - Galipeau
Your D setup is pretty much what we’ll see come October….i believe the 2 D they should trade is Baron and Harris. (This offseason)

Savard gets traded for sure at the deadline.

Alternate Struble and Kovacevic on that right side.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He was far from awful.

Did he stumble relative to his start? Yes, but he was still better than most rookie dmen and this is exactly what happens to almost every rookie dman who come out of the gate like he did. They initially play off of their strong instincts but in order to take the next step they have to learn and implement new strategies/tactics which can mess with their overall game. They also can become too conservative in an attempt to protect their good start or conversely too aggressive as they have become over confident due to a successful start.

He is a lock to be a very effective NHL dman for a long time. I do agree that he may get moved as I am not sure that his ceiling is too far from where he is currently at and other teams will definitely value him but with our depth he may be someone that we agree to part with in order to address an organizational need.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He has an advantage in fluidity and IQ but Romanov is the better hitter. I like what Struble brings. He could be a Gorges with more more offensive ability and grit

I don't think Romanov is necessarily a much better hitter but he goes out of his way to throw hits more than Struble. I think Struble is maybe a little stronger as he has been throwing around much larger opponents in front of the net and along the boards which is more valuable than skating out of position to throw big hits. I agree that Romanov may have a better hitting skill due to throwing a lot more open ice hits but that is not something that I value very much. I much prefer dmen who can push around guys in the dirty areas. I am not saying that Romanov can't do that as well but he is less effective at it and Struble runs a little hotter with more of a mean streak and will intimidate more players from going to the crease than Romanov will.

I am not dumping on Romanov but his IQ is very limited and while he is a very useful NHL dman, I think Struble has more potential in the transition game as well as in the offensive zone.

Reactions: bopeep and mdk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad