Rumor: Jason Zucker being “shopped heavily”

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
You only consider making it if he signs the contract to come over. Even then it's a toss up. He's a very skilled player, but will he be as effective on NHL ice as Zucker has proven he can be? That's what the GM making the theoretical deal will have to reconcile.

Okay. But choosing proven over unproven is not a great way to run a team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Okay. But choosing proven over unproven is not a great way to run a team.

Sorry, I may be confused here, but are you saying that a GM choosing Zucker over Gusev is not a great way to run a team? Just want to clarify.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sorry, I may be confused here, but are you saying that a GM choosing Zucker over Gusev is not a great way to run a team? Just want to clarify.

No, it just seems that the stumbling block for you is that Gusev is unproven in the NHL. But that's pretty banal. Of course he is unproven.

There is risk, but there is also significant chance of reward. Meanwhile your team is the one shopping Zucker, an underachiever making 5.5 mil.

The mentality of choosing proven over unproven lacks imagination.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, it just seems that the stumbling block for you is that Gusev is unproven in the NHL. But that's pretty banal. Of course he is unproven.

There is risk, but there is also significant chance of reward. Meanwhile your team is the one shopping Zucker, an underachiever making 5.5 mil.

I think the stumbling block is that Gusev isn't assured to ever come over.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The mentality of giving away a guy who has scored 30 goals and 60 points for a guy who may never play a single NHL game lacks, well, intelligence.

And the stumbling block is that he may never play a single NHL game.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The mentality of giving away a guy who has scored 30 goals and 60 points for a guy who may never play a single NHL game lacks, well, intelligence.

And the stumbling block is that he may never play a single NHL game.

I've already addressed Gusev potentially not playing in my previous posts where I said pretty clearly that a) reportedly he is coming over and b) anyone trading for him should first get assurances that he will play.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Assuming you're talking Elias Pettersson and Auston Matthews I would think long and hard about taking the former.
If you are the Arizona GM trying to get asses in the seats you wouldn’t.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I think the Wild fans will be disappointed with the return. (if there is a trade, of course)
As a Wild fan I agree. While I'm not as down on Fenton's trading skill as much as some fans. Nino for Rask was a big giant stupid whiff, but pretty pleased with the return on the Donato/Coyle & Aberg/Kloos trades. That said, because of the Nino trade Fenton also hasn't instilled me with confidence either. Either way it seems like a buyers market. So braced for low returns.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you are the Arizona GM trying to get asses in the seats? No you wouldn’t.

Auston Matthews being from here isn't really going to be much of a difference. Maybe a small one at first. Maybe it increases jersey sales over Pettersson. But icing the best team is what's ultimately going to get people to go to games.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Assurances can change.

Yeah and any trepidation around this makes sense to me. A highly paid Russian guy like Gusev might be excited to play for Vegas, or Chicago, or New York, or Los Angeles, but could be less enthusiastic about Minnesota.

(and this is spoken as someone who absolutely hates Vegas)

But concerns about Gusev's ability as a player don't make any sense to me. He's quite good. If he comes over I think he will succeed (just MO).

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Auston Matthews being from here isn't really going to be much of a difference. Maybe a small one at first. Maybe it increases jersey sales over Pettersson. But icing the best team is what's ultimately going to get people to go to games.
Not in Phoenix Arizona

This is different than Mauer being a hometown stud

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Have you ever been to Phoenix, Arizona?
A bunch of times. They aren’t likely to draw but having a hometown kid doesn’t hurt.
And it grows the game at the youth level a ton.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A bunch of times. They aren’t likely to draw but having a hometown kid doesn’t hurt.

Again, it's probably going to sell some jerseys, and maybe some tickets at first, but if the team still sucks, no one's going to continue going to games because Matthews is on the team.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Again, it's probably going to sell some jerseys, and maybe some tickets at first, but if the team still sucks, no one's going to continue going to games because Matthews is on the team.
Read the whole post.

You’re from MN where hockey is twice as big as anywhere else in the states. I do get it though

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Read the whole post

About the youth hockey scene?

Yeah I promise the Arizona Coyotes ownership and management has bigger priorities than the local youth hockey scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad