Jason Spezza Or Nicklas Backstrom?

Who was better?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t see much of a case for Spezza in terms of career. Backstrom had a decent number more years as a top line center, and a fuller playoff career including the cup. I think Spezza was maybe a bit more talented, as he was an elite passer as well but also a great stick handler and underrated shooter and probably could have scored more goals. I’d still call Backstrom the better player though, as I don’t think Spezza’s talent translated to more production and Backstrom was much better defensively.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I’d still call Backstrom the better player though, as I don’t think Spezza’s talent translated to more production and Backstrom was much better defensively.
Bäckström was one of the premier playmakers of his generation, but it's hard not to think that his scoring numbers were driven up quite a bit by Ovechkin, especially on the PP. Obviously vice versa too, but there are a lot more passers that could've filled Bäckströms role than there are shooters that could've replaced Ovie (Stamkos maybe, and that's it).

Wouldn't be surprised if Spezza had better offensive totals if you switched their places.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Backstrom hit 100 points in a season, hit 1000 points in his career in less games, won a Stanley Cup and didn't have a general performance decline that wasn't brought on by injuries. Backstrom was also a better defensive guy out of the box. Also was the long time sidekick to Ovi, who is going to hold the goal scoring title one day. Seems like an open and shut case. Spezza should have had the better career based on pre-NHL hype but there was always the sense he wasn't really as optimized a player, well conditioned or whatever in his early days and prime.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Bäckström was one of the premier playmakers of his generation, but it's hard not to think that his scoring numbers were driven up quite a bit by Ovechkin, especially on the PP. Obviously vice versa too, but there are a lot more passers that could've filled Bäckströms role than there are shooters that could've replaced Ovie (Stamkos maybe, and that's it).

Wouldn't be surprised if Spezza had better offensive totals if you switched their places.

Spezza might have scored more than he did (and more than Backstrom did) if he had played with Ovechkin, but he played with a lot of good talent himself.

He had Heatley and Alfredsson as linemates in Ottawa for years and then had peak Karlsson on his team. In Dallas he had some offensive talent surrounding him as well.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Maybe, but Spezza’s best years also came next to two elite wingers in Heatley and Alfredsson. He had the one big year in 11-12 where he was 4th in scoring despite less than ideal linemates (though Karlsson was awesome that year), but at the same time Backstrom had 16-17, where he was also 4th in points and outscored Ovechkin by 17 points (Ovi only had 33 goals that year).

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Backstrom was not only offensively elite (his saucer pass was otherworldly) but he also should have been up for the Selke on numerous occasions as well (he shouldn’t have won, but he should have been a finalist). He was the whole package

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Spezza was definitely the more physically talented player, but he never really put it together on a consistent basis like Backstrom did. It always felt like Spezza could've been way better if he tried a little harder. He'd always have these moments where he would just completely dominate the ice and nobody could touch him, but he wouldn't do it nearly enough.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He had Heatley and Alfredsson as linemates in Ottawa for years

For 3 years.

He also was eased into the NHL by Jacques Martin playing on the 3rd line.

Ultimately, he was beset with chronic injuries and never lived up to his potential.

By the time peak Karlsson really emerged, Spezza’s short peak was over.

Reactions: Bileur

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Spezza was the better player, but i do think it's fair to say Backstrom had the better "career". Part of that may have to do with spending almost all of it with the Greatest Pure Goal Scorer in NHL history as a winger and Powerplay mate. But he reached higher heights on the back of that, including a Cup.

Spezza honestly had a very narrow window where he ever actually got to play with elite talent. Basically the duration of the Pizza line. Outside of that...he was doing work himself.

Funny enough though as an aside...when i stopped being able to consistently find Spezza curve sticks, the Backstrom curve was one that i kind of gravitated toward as a somewhat underwhelming, but maybe close as it's gonna get substitute.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Spezza was the better player, but i do think it's fair to say Backstrom had the better "career". Part of that may have to do with spending almost all of it with the Greatest Pure Goal Scorer in NHL history as a winger and Powerplay mate. But he reached higher heights on the back of that, including a Cup.

Spezza honestly had a very narrow window where he ever actually got to play with elite talent. Basically the duration of the Pizza line. Outside of that...he was doing work himself.

Funny enough though as an aside...when i stopped being able to consistently find Spezza curve sticks, the Backstrom curve was one that i kind of gravitated toward as a somewhat underwhelming, but maybe close as it's gonna get substitute.

But outside of 11-12 he never really scored at an elite rate outside of his time with the pizza line. He had 4 other seasons between 22nd and 29th in points per game.

Reactions: Felidae

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Backstrom can’t carry a line like Spezza could. Spezza had Heatley for a couple years and after that he was surrounded by garbage.

Reactions: biturbo19

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Backstrom was excellent, but the ovie boost man.

People say Stockton isn’t the greatest point guard of all time because he fed Malone for so many of those assists. Well Ovechkin dunked on everyone, he definitely boosted Backstrom more than vice versa.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Backstrom can’t carry a line like Spezza could. Spezza had Heatley for a couple years and after that he was surrounded by garbage.

Backstrom could definitely carry a line. He did really well during the 2016-21 stretch when Ovechkin was primarily centered by Kuznetsov.

Not like Backstrom was playing with scrubs (usually had Oshie on RW), but he could do well.

Obviously he spent the 1st half of his career with Ovi on his wing, so they could simply dominate a game whenever it was needed.

Reactions: Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think there's a solid argument for Spezza being the better offensive player.

Point finishes: 4, 6
PPG finishes: 4, 5, 5, 6

Backstrom

Point finishes: 4, 4, 6, 8, 9
PPG: 5, 7

Spezza wasn't healthy often during his best years, but on a per game basis he was a top 5 producer in his prime.

On the other hand, Backstrom to his credit was healthy. But it's uncommon to see such a discrepancy between a player's point and PPG finishes, and when you do see it, it's usually a player having better PPG finishes due to injury history (see Malkin, Lindros, etc) and not the other way around

That being said, Backstrom was a very good two way player while Spezza never received a selke votes in his career. That probably offsets any offensive advantage, considering they aren't too far apart in that regard.

On a more observational note, Backstrom was physically stronger and a better passer.

But Spezza's physical tools stand out just a tad more. Better shooter, skater and stickhandler. Far more exciting player.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don’t see much of a case for Spezza in terms of career. Backstrom had a decent number more years as a top line center, and a fuller playoff career including the cup. I think Spezza was maybe a bit more talented, as he was an elite passer as well but also a great stick handler and underrated shooter and probably could have scored more goals. I’d still call Backstrom the better player though, as I don’t think Spezza’s talent translated to more production and Backstrom was much better defensively.

46113792-1819-418c-880e-7ced426d2917

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad