CBC Hot Stove: Jason Spezza on the block?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I can't see the Stars moving Spezza. Our 2nd powerplay unit would become next to nothing and our depth scoring would take a huge hit. Hopefully his goal last night will get him going. I think he still has the potential to put up some numbers this year although he has slowed down a little, but he's just not getting the ice time he usually does and is playing with non-offensive players. Heck, he's even playing right wing (where he struggles) so Hitch is the problem even more-so than Spezza is. I'd say if anything they need to find a solid winger to play with him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He is being played out of position (wing vs center) and not playing with talented offensive players. Hitchcock keeps putting him on Hanzal's (who isn't producing ****) wing or putting him with players like Ellie and Ritchie. He has great chemistry with Janmark and doesn't get to play with him nor has he played with Benn, Seguin, or Radulov.

Something like

Benn-Seguin-****
Janmark-Spezza-Radulov

would make sense. Yet we see Benn-Seguin-Radulov together and the second (or third) line looking like this...

Ellie-Hanzal-Spezza
Roussel-Spezza-Ritchie
Roussel-Spezza-Ellie
Janmark-Dickinson-Spezza

That and he is averaging 13 minutes a game. He isn't being utilized properly and very likely excel anywhere Dallas trades him.

Yeah. Spezza + Hitch seemed like pretty doomed proposition from the start.

It seems more likely to me that it's just a really bad fit and terrible utilization of his skillset...rather than Spezza just completely forgetting how to produce points over the summer. He is getting older and has been slowing down, but his game has never really been built around that and he was still just fine last year.

But he's always been a natural Center and it's pretty key to the way he generates a lot of his offense - playing him on the Wing is a fail. He also needs linemates who can think the game offensively well enough to keep up with his "creativity" and get to where he needs them to be for setups and give 'n goes, etc. And he needs to be on a top PP unit with lots of man advantage time, because that's one of his strong points as a player (especially now). Give him none of that, and it's not surprising he hasn't produced many points this year.

He'd be a good fit for what Montreal seem to be lacking right now. But unless something has changed, i doubt he has any interest in playing in a Canadian market again...especially not one of the two craziest hockey hotbeds on a team off to a rough start. Plus, it seems there may end up being some dissonance between what Dallas Management want to do, and what Hitchcock wants to do, and they may not actually want to trade him. That's not a new phenomena.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
During tonight's HNIC Elliotte Friedman said that Jason Spezza's name has popped up recently in trade talks. He said he believes Dallas' preferred choice would be to keep him for his offence but that Spezza has struggled this year and is averaging the lowest I've-time of his career since his rookie season.

Good luck moving that contract.......

Dallas needs reliable secondary scoring . Spezza finally potted in his first last game. So there's a big chance we wait for a while longer. Maybe he can get going now.

Its not a long term contract it ends next year. untradeable is a bit much tbh.

I think a win win is doable w/Rangers, but before I suggest a trade, I need to hear more, esp. from Star fans, as to what they consider present status of Spezza to be. The OP delivers new information; how much is speculation, how much is spot on accurate?

The value of Spez as a an aging All Star is huge dif if he is in first stages of Drury/Richards collapse. Can still be moved separate or in package deal w/proper valuation; does that mean his worth is more on production, or is it less hockey deal and more contract oriented $ deal?

Back to you guys later Pls advise.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Doubtful it happens unless he requests it. He loves Dallas, no media which he likes and is a huge Cowboys fan.

I don't see it happening

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Spezza for Eriksson is very fair with no retaining both ways. Think St. Louis might like him but I'd like to see him retire with Ottawa.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
His play/production and have another year at that cap hit will either make him hard to move or if moved for not as much as some seem to think.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
In my opinion, it's highly unlikely he is moved. Do fans of other teams not know that Dallas is "going for it" now? I realize that the Stars fanbase is very small on HF now (I'll avoid the reason why everyone left). I don't see how you can look at the current roster and think moving Spezza helps in any way.

I'm really confident in Hitch and am pulling for Spezza to move on from his slow start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad